You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Peregrinas

Cruisers need torpedo detection buffs

70 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

I'm so **** tired of eating torpedoes that are either blind-fired or are meant for someone else. How is it fun starting a game, meeting the enemy, maneuvering yourself into position to engage or disengage, and then eating a full set of torpedoes into my broadside?

I hate being deleted out of the game like that. I come around the big group of islands in the east in Hot Spot with my Hipper, see an Atago pop up at 10km, I immediately start turning around to get some range, and I immediately get a full set of torpedoes into my broadside as my rudder is full to port, insta-death.

Seriously? Some low-life Mutsuki blind-fired their torpedoes at the start of the game as soon as they got loaded, and I just so happened that with my god-awful luck in everything I ever try to **** do in my life, I timed my turn just perfectly so I wouldn't see the torps until I'm already turning and they get my broadside.

Seriously! Cruisers need a torpedo detection range buff. Cruisers, especially the high tier German CAs, do NOT have the maneuverability to avoid torpedoes with ease like a DD, nor do they NOT have the torpedo protection like a BB. I'm sick and tired of falling prey to torpedoes that were either intended for someone else or blind-fired by a go-lucky-happy guy who gets all the **** in life.

[content moderated - bypassing profanity filter]
~DiscoRaptor

• Cool 1

Members
1,399 posts
1,139 battles

I'm so ****ing tired of eating torpedoes that are either blind-fired or are meant for someone else. How is it fun starting a game, meeting the enemy, maneuvering yourself into position to engage or disengage, and then eating a full set of torpedoes into my broadside?

I hate being deleted out of the game like that. I come around the big group of islands in the east in Hot Spot with my Hipper, see an Atago pop up at 10km, I immediately start turning around to get some range, and I immediately get a full set of torpedoes into my broadside as my rudder is full to port, insta-death.

Seriously? Some low-life Mutsuki blind-fired their torpedoes at the start of the game as soon as they got loaded, and I just so happened that with my god-awful luck in everything I ever try to ****ing do in my life, I timed my turn just perfectly so I wouldn't see the torps until I'm already turning and they get my broadside.

Seriously! Cruisers need a torpedo detection range buff. Cruisers, especially the high tier German CAs, do NOT have the maneuverability to avoid torpedoes with ease like a DD, nor do they NOT have the torpedo protection like a BB. I'm sick and tired of falling prey to torpedoes that were either intended for someone else or blind-fired by a go-lucky-happy guy who gets all the b****es in life.

In exchange for a Torp Damage buff?

Seems good for balance.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

Damage report: over 35k from 3 torpedoes. Would've been more if they did not kill me. Whereas a Yamato eats 3 torpedoes for 16k damage, or about 15% of its total health. ****ing brilliant.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

From now on, I'm going to reverse for one full minute at the start of every battle with my Hipper. Let everyone else get in front of me first.

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

It does make it difficult for cruisers to perform a DD and torpedo screening role if the torpedoes keep coming out of nowhere at a disadvantageous angle.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
1,658 posts
6,794 battles

So get the torpedo acquisition captain skill.  buff granted.

• Cool 4

Members
3,536 posts
14,336 battles

From now on, I'm going to reverse for one full minute at the start of every battle with my Hipper. Let everyone else get in front of me first.

The edges of those islands are the second largest torpedo magnet in that map.

You were using your excellent german sonar to cross that area right?

Members
210 posts
1,188 battles

they do have a torp detection called hydroacoustic to which needs a good buff itself but does help with torp detection just not so much on spotting thru the smoke

[SALVO]
Members
28,243 posts
43,664 battles

Damage report: over 35k from 3 torpedoes. Would've been more if they did not kill me. Whereas a Yamato eats 3 torpedoes for 16k damage, or about 15% of its total health. ****ing brilliant.

Many BBs have anti-torpedo protection which causes them to reduce the damage on a lot of torp hits, whereas cruisers rarely ever have similar anti-torpedo protections built in.  That's why cruisers will often take more damage on a torp hit than a battleship.  The upside is supposed to be that cruisers have a greater ability to dodge torpedoes than battleships.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

Many BBs have anti-torpedo protection which causes them to reduce the damage on a lot of torp hits, whereas cruisers rarely ever have similar anti-torpedo protections built in.  That's why cruisers will often take more damage on a torp hit than a battleship.  The upside is supposed to be that cruisers have a greater ability to dodge torpedoes than battleships.

Yes. I know that.

But the German CAs have handling that is more like a BB rather than a CA. Just give me the German BBs already, these wannabes are really getting on my nerves.

[SALVO]
Members
28,243 posts
43,664 battles

Yes. I know that.

But the German CAs have handling that is more like a BB rather than a CA. Just give me the German BBs already, these wannabes are really getting on my nerves.

If you knew it already, why complain about how you took more damage from 3 torps than a Yamato?  Just some mindless ranting?

• Cool 2

Members
646 posts
4,235 battles

share the popcorn and ill get a frozen coke for you.

I like mine extra salty

Another "nerf torps thread" 

:popcorn: let me join you guys. 

[F-N-B]
Beta Testers
1,411 posts
8,485 battles

I will say I don't think it would be op if cruisers could mount both the defensive fire and sonar consumables. This plus maybe a minor buff might help CAs a bit more in their support roles?

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

share the popcorn and ill get a frozen coke for you.

I like mine extra salty

Butter too? I have lots of buttery goodness for this post. Where is Michael Jackson when you need him....

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

If you blindly run into torps that were blind fired by a DD, then you deserved those torps.

DDs don't just blind fire anywhere, they blind fire down the most predictable enemy paths.

A tip though: your scout plane can spot torps. When launched, it is launched port, then rotates clockwise. If you're planning to round an island, time your scout plane launch so it's in front of you before you poke out. Any torps coming your way will have to go under the scout, lighting them for you.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

The edges of those islands are the second largest torpedo magnet in that map.

You were using your excellent german sonar to cross that area right?

Because I totally should activate it for 1:50 a minute into the game, and not being detected. How am I supposed to know some idiot was going to blind-fire his torps? I can avoid torpedoes if I know a DD is in the vicinity. I regularly change my course to avoid long range torpedoes. But it's completely stupid and unfair for me for some lucky ***hole to randomly fire torpedoes and to get me.

You should only be able to fire torpedoes if you have a target locked. How about that? No more shooting torpedoes off into the distance at the start of a game without any confirmation of targets.

Edited by Peregrinas

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

If you blindly run into torps that were blind fired by a DD, then you deserved those torps.

DDs don't just blind fire anywhere, they blind fire down the most predictable enemy paths.

A tip though: your scout plane can spot torps. When launched, it is launched port, then rotates clockwise. If you're planning to round an island, time your scout plane launch so it's in front of you before you poke out. Any torps coming your way will have to go under the scout, lighting them for you.

I deserved those torps? What are you, drunk? If anything, I deserved to avoid those torpedoes because I do everything that would avoid torpedoes that are fired off by an intelligent player.

What you're saying amounts to that of saying that I deserved to be hit by a meteor because I wasn't sitting in a bunker.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

just play a \DD and see how hard it really is to torp

I do, and I've been up to a Benson. It's so ridiculously easy to torp. It takes only one or two torpedoes to either end someone or **** up the rest of their game.

[S_E_A]
Beta Testers
2,709 posts
4,566 battles

This rant sounds suspiciously like a rant I heard from a user with a suspciously similar name who then whined about people downvoting him...

Beta Testers
408 posts
6,981 battles

Torps are very effective in area denial and stopping the enemy fleet from advancing, giving teammate an advantage in securing tactical location and capturing points. 

The enemy Mutsuki was doing exactly that job, and your sinking is the result of not being aware of this tactics.

You don't like this tactics?

Well, we know your comment now. Now move on and get used to it. The world does not rotate around you.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,709 battles

This rant sounds suspiciously like a rant I heard from a user with a suspciously similar name who then whined about people downvoting him...

Provocative useless piles of organic matter like you is one huge problem the world go without.