Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gillhunter

Grinding Pensacola

42 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
39,580 battles

This is the most frustrating grind I have ever done. Have the upgraded hull. I hope it's worth it in the end. Eats credits too.

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

heh

For a majority of people, Pensacola is the last thing from special. lol

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
890 posts
2,056 battles

Get the hull first, then the guns.  Get the fire control last.  Trust me, you'll thank me for it later.  Range does you no good when you don't have firepower and and turret turn rate.

• Cool 2

[SADGE]
Members
157 posts
14,812 battles

Get the WASD keys happening, that's my advice.  Stay narrow, avoid showing your broadside whenever possible, this means those pesky water rat DD's too, especially the RU and PL.

Oh, had to add. Why do you think they put 'Cola' in the name? Because that is what it is made of, recycled aluminium cola cans. boom boom

Edited by 5finger

[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
39,580 battles

Get the hull first, then the guns.  Get the fire control last.  Trust me, you'll thank me for it later.  Range does you no good when you don't have firepower and and turret turn rate.

That's the plan. Just hope it's worth it when I get there. :)

Beta Testers
61 posts
3,113 battles

Agree with Kaeldian, but I'd even suggest ignoring the range increase, as just more time in that gawd-awful ship.  It was the worst grind for me in beta, and dreaded coming back to it in live...fears were warranted. 

I've stopped playing the 'cola for now while I focus on more the fun lines like the German cruisers and IJN cruisers.  You can have very good games in the ship, but it's cons most certainly outweigh it's pros.

[PNP]
Beta Testers
250 posts
16,808 battles

How are you using the Pensacola? There is nothing wrong with it, if anything New Orleans and Des Moines are the weakest of the high tier.. and Pensacola is far more effective than a Cleveland in most battles.

Pensacola is the first cruiser with shells that will go through ALL other cruiser without much issue. It is a rifle, not a machine gun.  Seek out broadside cruisers and be unforgiving in sinking them, USN cruisers above cleveland 'can' spam HE at range but really should be laying in ambush of over confident IJN cruisers and DD's, the speed and arc of those shells means that at 10km nothing can outrun them and it is very hard to dodge them.

The only thing a Pensacola should fear are BB's, everything else in that tier range is not a real threat to the ship. Also, being a tier 7 ship you will fight ships in tier 5, and those 8" shells can pen low tier BB's if you end up in a super close fight with a BB you don't want to be in.

If people can level up German cruisers there is no excuse not to excel in a Pensacola.

Edited by donlokiman
  • Cool 3

[VF-10]
Beta Testers
206 posts
4,886 battles

I disagree. The range increase is necessary so that you don't get outranged by an Atlanta. I got the guns last and I don't regret it. The Pensacola will be a mixed bag for you because you will be a target for the missions going on right now, but you will see an increase in CVs during the missions as well.

How are you using the Pensacola? There is nothing wrong with it, if anything New Orleans and Des Moines are the weakest of the high tier.. and Pensacola is far more effective than a Cleveland in most battles.

The New Orleans is fantastic. The Baltimore got much better once I changed from an AA cruiser to an invisi-fire cruiser.

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

I had tons of fun with the Pensacola, and I love the New Orleans as well. I don't get why people hate on them so much.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,492 battles

i just mean that the rest of the usn cruiser line is crap

says the DD player who barely got past the Phoenix....

PLEASE stop commenting on what you know little about... THE USN cruiser line is not crap, by any means... if you play certain ships the way they should they pretty much ALL can be great.. The Pensecola is a fine fine ship if used for her faults...

Did me well in ranked and does a fine job in random... I just need to be more careful an less aggressive... its AAA if ALMOST comparable to a Cleveland without AA defense fire consumable...

Commenting bad things about ships you do not play makes peole believe you have a valid opinion of said ship(s)...

Play more post LESS

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,492 battles

For a majority of people, Pensacola is the last thing from special. lol

speak for yourself... I like it when it is needed.. LOL

I have found taht people follow the normal word of mouth and not the word of ship, meaning play it some and learn its faults and play to them...

It is far from the best but it has some very valuable worth....

I have seen some people that whine about it have a 10-15$ better WR in it than the CLeveland they own....

Edited by pmgaudio

[PNP]
Beta Testers
250 posts
16,808 battles

I disagree. The range increase is necessary so that you don't get outranged by an Atlanta. I got the guns last and I don't regret it. The Pensacola will be a mixed bag for you because you will be a target for the missions going on right now, but you will see an increase in CVs during the missions as well.

A Pensacola should never be fighting an Atlanta at range, it should get up close and kill it, an Atlanta can 'maybe' survive 3 volleys from a Pensacola, and if the atlanta is dumb enough to attempt a torp it can get single shot by the 10 203s to its side.  I think people see the weak armor stats and try to play the ship at its max range.  At max range it is impossible to avoid showing broadside to some BB somewhere 18+km away and you WILL get picked off.  I think you are better off in the weeds, killing DD's and cruisers, using islands as armor.

890 posts
2,056 battles

It was the advice I was given when it was my turn to do the grind and it seems to be the right course  The turret turn rate is absolutely gawd-awful on that thing when it's stock which makes it impossible to keep the guns firing when you're dodging.   Once the turrets are freed up and turning at a reasonable rate, it allows you to dodge and weave while keeping your guns mostly on target.    Range does you no good when you have to keep her steady making it easy to citadel an already somewhat fragile ship.

That's the plan. Just hope it's worth it when I get there. :)

I like mine quite a bit.  In fact, I'm doing considerably above the server average in it.  So I must be doing something right

I usually hang back with the BB's and give them AA and DD cover.  I absolutely positively focus the crap out of DD's that get into range. I think the people who suffer the most in a Pepsi are the HE spammers.  If you know how to use the Pepsi's AP to citadel every other cruiser you run into, you'll fall in love with the thing.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,492 battles

I had tons of fun with the Pensacola, and I love the New Orleans as well. I don't get why people hate on them so much.

well they either believe the hype, and xp past it, or don't know how to play them....

They said the Yorck was crap too.... and it is pretty much  NOT CRAP...

I say to them play  more post less and learn what NOT to do in a ship they have problems with...

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Change speed and direction to the point that is annoying, and then do it even more, and even more after that. Use AP and hit stuff in the middle.

It is worth the grind, the New Orleans is a beast. After that I can't give an opinion, but the Nola wrecks any cruiser at her tier with AP and can put a hurtin on BBs if you have BB support of your own. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,492 battles

A Pensacola should never be fighting an Atlanta at range, it should get up close and kill it, an Atlanta can 'maybe' survive 3 volleys from a Pensacola, and if the atlanta is dumb enough to attempt a torp it can get single shot by the 10 203s to its side.  I think people see the weak armor stats and try to play the ship at its max range.  At max range it is impossible to avoid showing broadside to some BB somewhere 18+km away and you WILL get picked off.  I think you are better off in the weeds, killing DD's and cruisers, using islands as armor.

AGREED... and the AP on it is very very underrated and unsuspecting to a vulnerable Atlanta at 8KM or closer

890 posts
2,056 battles

Agreed.  In fact, a Pepsi that's accurate with it's AP will absolutely WRECK an Atlanta.   Atlanta is more fragile than a Pepsi and has a really easy to hit Citadel.

[AOOC]
Members
37 posts
6,906 battles

Pensacola is the first cruiser with shells that will go through ALL other cruiser without much issue. It is a rifle, not a machine gun.  Seek out broadside cruisers and be unforgiving in sinking them, USN cruisers above cleveland 'can' spam HE at range but really should be laying in ambush of over confident IJN cruisers and DD's, the speed and arc of those shells means that at 10km nothing can outrun them and it is very hard to dodge them.

The only thing a Pensacola should fear are BB's, everything else in that tier range is not a real threat to the ship. Also, being a tier 7 ship you will fight ships in tier 5, and those 8" shells can pen low tier BB's if you end up in a super close fight with a BB you don't want to be in.

If people can level up German cruisers there is no excuse not to excel in a Pensacola.

I agree.  In it's tier I get good results.  Don't become the center of attention for the enemy team; you won't last long.  I find the guns are accurate and can pack a punch.  Change speed and keep turning.  I don't make a ton of credits with it, but I have not had a battle where I lost any, either.

[PNP]
Beta Testers
250 posts
16,808 battles

I usually hang back with the BB's and give them AA and DD cover.  I absolutely positively focus the crap out of DD's that get into range. I think the people who suffer the most in a Pepsi are the HE spammers.  If you know how to use the Pepsi's AP to citadel every other cruiser you run into, you'll fall in love with the thing.

well they either believe the hype, and xp past it, or don't know how to play them....

They said the Yorck was crap too.... and it is pretty much  NOT CRAP...

I say to them play  more post less and learn what NOT to do in a ship they have problems with...

I agree, I just cannot get used to HE Spam, it is effective but does not fit my playstyle, it is why I have not played much in the way of the japanese cruiser line in CBT or Release.  I try and play them but torpedoes is not enough of a reason for me to think they are great.  And when you get used to cit hits on IJN cruisers I cannot help but be turned off by them.  

I think the New Orleans changed in Open Beta, I just could not get into it like before, I think maybe because the Baltimore is New Orleans on steroids with heals.  The worst mistake I ever made was buying a Des Moines.. if you guys like AP just stick with the Baltimore, sure in a Balti you wont have many options when fighting a Yamato or Montana and want to melt them down, but I accept those deaths as necessary evils.  I have 10km concealment on my Baltimore nothing surprises people like a T9 cruiser popping up only after its fired at you, it really allows the ship to pick its engagements and excel where on paper it shouldn't.

Edited by donlokiman

[SADGE]
Members
157 posts
14,812 battles

Its a peronal choice, with the upgrades.  I like Purpulsion  as the Can has pretty good manouverability anyway. If playing well, you should wear the letters of 'W' & 'S' keyboard keys.  Turning one way is just not good enough when you try to dodge, the stern takes a looooong time to follow, watch the rudder shift, Keeping your ship straight will give that Purpulsion its worth, after a second of power turn the other way to flick the stern out of way of the incoming death sentence.  Keep an eye on the incoming shells, watch the targets guns for fire, thats your queue.

[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
39,580 battles

I'm trying to keep angled as much as possible. The guns are great. Can't wait to get the turret upgrade, they are pretty slow right now. I either have a really good game or a really bad one. Not much in the middle. For some reason, I'm usually facing ships a tier higher, not lower. Just my luck I guess.

[PNP]
Beta Testers
250 posts
16,808 battles

I'm trying to keep angled as much as possible. The guns are great. Can't wait to get the turret upgrade, they are pretty slow right now. I either have a really good game or a really bad one. Not much in the middle. For some reason, I'm usually facing ships a tier higher, not lower. Just my luck I guess.

I think the general theme of everyone here is get the gun upgrade.. lol and in time you will find the sweet spot for the ship.  I think we can all admit Cleveland to Pensacola is a shocking style change, but once you find what those guns will kill you will get addicted to it and find a way to make citadels happen.  Shrug off dying, 18+ people are going to die in every battle, just make sure you take them down with you.  

P.S..   wait for them to try and torp you before you fire.. Mutual Assured Destruction..

:red_button:

[BONKY]
Beta Testers
2,426 posts
38,697 battles

This is the most frustrating grind I have ever done. Have the upgraded hull. I hope it's worth it in the end. Eats credits too.

I found the Pepsi to be better than it's bad reputation once it was upgraded.  The guns are very good imo.  However, if you think that the NO and/or Baltimore are going to be better I think you are in for a surprise given the current high tier meta.  Since there are very few CVs playing in tiers VIII+, the biggest asset of the US cruisers is wasted, that of it's very good AA for supporting BBs/CVs.  So imo the Pepsi is fine (not great) as an upgraded ship, but don't be grinding to the NO unless you see a lot more CVs in the game would be what I'd suggest.

Sign in to follow this