Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GNanting

Best VI and above ships for fire starting

23 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
1,601 battles

Title explains it all. I remember reading some post somewhere about IJN cruisers having rather high fire starting abilities yet I'm not sure if it is relevant anymore. I'd prefer to not use USN ships, idk why but the ships don't really do it for me. I'm also rather curious on how the German and Russian ships stand in this regard. Opinions and personal experiences are welcome and if you've done the math on this sort of thing even better. :teethhappy:

Thanks for taking the time to read over my question.

Beta Testers
1,620 posts
1,238 battles

I haven't played Mogami but I hear she is great with her 155mm (could have changed though) however Cleveland is a great fire starter. German ships have bad HE so you are better off with an IJN ship if you don't want to use USN ships. Atlanta has a low fire chance but she spits shells. I don't know about Russian DDs, never played them.

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

Mogami, Plebl- I mean  Cleveland, Atlanta.

Atlanta's fire chance was bashed after CBT complaints. So fires are a bit uncommon.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Zao is great, if a little expensive to run. Battleships are also surprisingly effective at starting fires.

The most fires I've started in a single match so far is 12 with Amagi,

Alpha Tester
1,247 posts
4,975 battles

Aoba.  17% HE fire chance is nuts, and her guns are dead accurate.

It does seem the Aoba sets me on fire more than any other ship.

Members
16 posts
1,601 battles

I haven't played Mogami but I hear she is great with her 155mm (could have changed though) however Cleveland is a great fire starter. German ships have bad HE so you are better off with an IJN ship if you don't want to use USN ships. Atlanta has a low fire chance but she spits shells. I don't know about Russian DDs, never played them.

Mogami, Plebl- I mean  Cleveland, Atlanta.

Blyskawica or any VMF ship. Due to VMF/ORP having the highest fire chances.

Atlanta's fire chance was bashed after CBT complaints. So fires are a bit uncommon.

Zao is great, if a little expensive to run. Battleships are also surprisingly effective at starting fires.

The most fires I've started in a single match so far is 12 with Amagi,

I still get 5-8 fires a match with my Atlanta.

Aoba.  17% HE fire chance is nuts, and her guns are dead accurate.

It does seem the Aoba sets me on fire more than any other ship.

Warspite.... firestarter chance is  34% !!!

Thank you all for your input! I'll definitely be taking this info into consideration for my decision.

Godspeed :teethhappy:

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

IJN and Russian cruisers are good. French and British Battleships are good. French DDs have the best bet I believe. 

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

What would updated answers look like? Colbert? Smolensk? Harugumo?

Members
1,883 posts
20,884 battles
24 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

What would updated answers look like? Colbert? Smolensk? Harugumo?

No... even today it's still the British BBs. If I want to earn fire starting ribbons that's what I'll always go to. With fire starting %s between the mid 30s and mid 40s each salvo can start a fire. I own the Smolester and even though it can pump out a lot of shells it needs to as it's fire starting is at best an anemic 11%. :Smile_child:

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
345 posts

Helena. You have 15 reasonably quick-firing guns, each with pretty good fire chances. I've set... 14 in her in one match before, I think? Maybe a bit more?

[ARMOR]
Members
138 posts
19,482 battles

IJN cruisers and French cruisers do have pretty good fire chance %, British battleships are the Kings of this (and not just George V). However if you're going specifically to light fires for a mission, keep in mind that higher-tiered ships have a built in stronger innate fire resistance. If you have ships with a similar fire chance and # of shells per minute, you will actually set more fires with a lower tiered ship (since you'll be fighting lower tiered ships). Good example is some of the tier 7 ships - if you're top tier and get to troll on tier 5's you'll be setting a lot more fires than if you're fighting T9s.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire#Fire_Resistance

• Thanks 1

[H_]
Members
1,009 posts
17,123 battles

Schors - awesome fire starter..  most of the IJN boats and for sure all of the RN BB's..  

Myoko starts fires pretty well as well.  

As long as you also stay away from IFHE which reduces your fire chance most of the cruiser do a decent job of setting fires.. 

Members
7 posts
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

La galiss and schors are basically broken when it comes to setting fires.

Nelson and KGV set quite a few too.

This. Also don't forget QE. 35% Fire chance on her HE shells is pretty neat. Up that with fire signal flag and DE and you get around 38%. British BBs are great at setting fires in general.

Other than that any Murican CL will do the job just fine

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,130 battles
On 1/3/2016 at 2:57 AM, GNanting said:

Title explains it all. I remember reading some post somewhere about IJN cruisers having rather high fire starting abilities yet I'm not sure if it is relevant anymore. I'd prefer to not use USN ships, idk why but the ships don't really do it for me. I'm also rather curious on how the German and Russian ships stand in this regard. Opinions and personal experiences are welcome and if you've done the math on this sort of thing even better. :teethhappy:

Thanks for taking the time to read over my question.

IJN cruisers (for the Mogami either the 155s or 203s will work), USN CLs, French CAs, RU cruisers, IJN gunboat DDs (100mm caliber guns), and RN BBs.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,848 battles

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here. The key is to minimize the mean time to start a fire.  That is a function of rate of fire (rounds per minute) and fire chance per shell. 
Smolensk is extremely good if you aren’t running IFHE, probably the best. 
155 mm Mogami 

Atlanta - fire chance per shell may be low but there are so many shells...

Zao is pretty impressive 
Oh and the Firesland - not high chance per shell but the reload is 1.4 seconds...

When you are deciding whether or not to use Demo Expert or add fire flags, consider the increase in fire chance per shell in percentage terms.  Adding 2% to a 5% fire chance is a 40% increase to 7%.  Adding 2% to 40% is only a 5% increase.  I used to think “there’s no point in fire flags for USN DDs when base fire chance is only 5%.”  But 2 flags is 1% which is a 20% increase.