Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
catsmoke

Torpedo detection time data? Effect of firing on concealment?

5 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
730 posts
2,345 battles

I've looked for answers on these two subjects by searching these forums, by looking at guides (both written and video), and by trying to figure them out myself, and my methods have not worked. I have seen, in the past, forum threads that have pertinent data regarding these things, with posts that directly address them. Yet I cannot find those threads or posts now. I apologize if I've missed some obvious source of information, or if I'm echoing oft-repeated queries. I don't want anyone to have to duplicate their work, or to duplicate anyone else's. Any guidance at all would help me.

Often on these forums, I read posts which refer to torpedo detection times, in terms of "seconds of warning" or something similar. I remember seeing a very technical table which someone had posted, shortly after a patch, or perhaps around the time of the game launch in September, that contained related info, but now I can't find the thread.

How does this game mechanic work? Does each in-game type of torpedo (for example, the Mark 92) have a consistent distance (for example, 9 seconds away, or 2 km away) at which it becomes visible to enemy players?

What is the relationship between firing one's guns and the distance at which one's ship loses its concealment?

For example, if I'm in a ship which is rated as becoming visible to other ships at 10 km away, but I'm 15 km away from the closest enemy ship when I fire my guns, my ship becomes visible when I fire; yet if I'm in the same ship, and I fire when the closest enemy is 18 km away, then I do not lose my concealment. What determines the cutoff at which, when my distance to the enemy is greater than my usual concealment distance, my ship becomes visible when I fire my guns? I've heard that there are obscure variables which factor in to this correlation, but I don't see such a variable anywhere in the ships' data.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,626 battles

I've looked for answers on these two subjects by searching these forums, by looking at guides (both written and video), and by trying to figure them out myself, and my methods have not worked. I have seen, in the past, forum threads that have pertinent data regarding these things, with posts that directly address them. Yet I cannot find those threads or posts now. I apologize if I've missed some obvious source of information, or if I'm echoing oft-repeated queries. I don't want anyone to have to duplicate their work, or to duplicate anyone else's. Any guidance at all would help me.

Often on these forums, I read posts which refer to torpedo detection times, in terms of "seconds of warning" or something similar. I remember seeing a very technical table which someone had posted, shortly after a patch, or perhaps around the time of the game launch in September, that contained related info, but now I can't find the thread.

How does this game mechanic work? Does each in-game type of torpedo (for example, the Mark 92) have a consistent distance (for example, 9 seconds away, or 2 km away) at which it becomes visible to enemy players?

What is the relationship between firing one's guns and the distance at which one's ship loses its concealment?

If I'm in a ship which is rated as becoming visible to other ships at 10 km away, but I'm 15 km away from the closest enemy ship when I fire my guns, my ship becomes visible when I fire. I've heard that there are obscure variables which factor in to this correlation, but I don't see such a variable anywhere in the ships' data.

Just because there is a ship you can see at 15 KM, does NOT MEAN there is not a ship YOU CANNOT SEE, closer, and undetected...

Most ships are not close to 5 KM det increase.. most are less than 4.5.. the Kiev, however was changed from 3.9 to 5.6,,,,

Not sure what else to add.,.,, torp detection is 2 KM without skills, from What I remember

Beta Testers
730 posts
2,345 battles

Just because there is a ship you can see at 15 KM, does NOT MEAN there is not a ship YOU CANNOT SEE, closer, and undetected...

Most ships are not close to 5 KM det increase.. most are less than 4.5.. the Kiev, however was changed from 3.9 to 5.6,,,,

Not sure what else to add.,.,, torp detection is 2 KM without skills, from What I remember

I realize that sometimes there are hidden ships closer to me than the spotted ones I'm aware of. (Let us please confine the examples to ships, in this discussion.)

Are you saying that, unless there is an enemy ship closer to me than my rated concealment distance, that if I fire my guns, my ship will always keep its concealment? Every time that the closest enemy (seen or unseen) is farther away from me than my rated concealment distance, I'm free to fire my guns, and I'll never be detected, until an enemy comes within that concealment distance?  Whenever I've fired my guns, and it's given away my position, and the closest enemy I knew of was beyond my rated concealment distance, then I was being spotted by an unseen enemy who was closer to me than the boundary of my concealment distance? So, firing one's guns never compromises one's concealment, unless there is an enemy already closer, when you fire, than the distance of the rated concealment?

Beta Testers
730 posts
2,345 battles

For invisible firing refer to this google doc, its really helpful

Thank you very much.

And my thanks to everyone who read my post and engaged in my questions.

Sign in to follow this