You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Peregrinas

Something on the Emden caught my attention

38 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,711 battles

I took out my Emden for a spin and I noticed that the screws were not spinning before the start of the game, and only spun up once the game started and I began moving. I throttled back down to zero and as soon as I stopped, my screws stopped spinning. I don't recall seeing this on the other ships; their screws are always spinning no matter what. I like to consider myself as an attentive person, and something different usually catches my attention, but not always. Is this some minor detail I've somehow missed on every other ship that I've played? Or is this actually something new on the Emden. If it is, albeit a purely cosmetic detail, I'd love for this to be on every other ship as well.

Edited by Peregrinas
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
861 posts

This was fixed last patch.   Note: screws don't spin in port anymore!

Edit: Now that I look at it,  Screws do spin in port when you first click on a ship but then they stop~

Edited by BaddParrot

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,711 battles

This was fixed last patch.   Note: screws don't spin in port anymore!

Edit: Now that I look at it,  Screws do spin in port when you first click on a ship but then they stop~

That part was clear to me in the patch notes, but nothing was said about it during a battle. I'm fairly certain that the screws on other ships spin no matter what, even when not moving. I'd take out my Marblehead and Hipper to check, but it's too late in the night.

Members
301 posts

The props on all my ships that I can see have stopped spinning until you throttle up. Not just the Emden.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,711 battles

Did you notice anything weird about the 4th smoke stack?

:look:

Yes, it's covered. One of the first things I noticed when I got the Emden, haha. And I don't think it produces any smoke in game either. I checked for that too! It actually made me think of the Titanic and how one of its smokestacks was purely for show.

The props on all my ships that I can see have stopped spinning until you throttle up. Not just the Emden.

That's wonderful! I'll pay special attention next time.

Edited by Peregrinas

Members
3,067 posts
2,554 battles

You mean that it's a dummy one?

Members
301 posts

That's wonderful! I'll pay special attention next time.

It was either on my Fubuki or Minekaze that I first noticed it while waiting for a match to start. I was actually thinking how damn big the screws were for a tiny destroyer.... then it dawned on me that they werent spinning while in neutral anymore. Then checked the Iowa on next match that happened to be on Hot Spot where you can see the screws really good on that map... yup disengaged.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

It was either on my Fubuki or Minekaze that I first noticed it while waiting for a match to start. I was actually thinking how damn big the screws were for a tiny destroyer.... then it dawned on me that they werent spinning while in neutral anymore. Then checked the Iowa on next match that happened to be on Hot Spot where you can see the screws really good on that map... yup disengaged.

Oh that is awesome! Its such a tiny little detail but its one that ALWAYS bothered me lol

Now if WG can give aircraft proper attack animations, my OCD would be able to take a break lol x3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

Oh that is awesome! Its such a tiny little detail but its one that ALWAYS bothered me lol

Now if WG can give aircraft proper attack animations, my OCD would be able to take a break lol x3

Oh come on OCD never takes a break it is a workaholic  .  :ohmy:

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,711 battles

[image]

Wow, you can really distinguish that fourth smokestack as being completely different. Was a ship's bad-assery in that time period determined by how many smokestacks it had? Titanic also had a fourth, fake smokestack.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Oh come on OCD never takes a break it is a workaholic  .  :ohmy:

I know....I had high hopes.... :(

Alpha Tester
861 posts

Wow, you can really distinguish that fourth smokestack as being completely different. Was a ship's bad-assery in that time period determined by how many smokestacks it had? Titanic also had a fourth, fake smokestack.

Yes, Even on the far side, if you look close, You will see a tear in the canvas that the dev's put in.  Nice attention to detail.

Members
3,067 posts
2,554 battles

Just disguise. A british/US cruiser that you might find in the Pacific/Far East station had 4 smoke stacks. German cruisers that were out or could have serve on colonial stations that I know of in that period didn't have the same number.

0 posts

Non-functional Funnel/smoke-stack? I've seen those before, when technology advances to requiring less stacks in order to function properly/well...though I'm not sure if it applies here. 

Members
2,378 posts
17,136 battles

And then there's the Askold...

300px-Askold1901Kiel.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts

Non-functional Funnel/smoke-stack? I've seen those before, when technology advances to requiring less stacks in order to function properly/well...though I'm not sure if it applies here. 

On her last mission commerce raiding in the Indian Ocean, the crew of the Emden rigged up a dummy fourth funnel so they would be mistaken for a British CL, which were operating in the area. For most of her life she had just the three:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_137-001329%2C_Tsingtau

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Emden

Edited by ttb
  • Cool 1

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles

On her last mission commerce raiding in the Indian Ocean, the crew of the Emden rigged up a dummy fourth funnel so they would be mistaken for a British CL, which were operating in the area. For most of her life she had just the three:

Certainly worked on me.  When I first saw the ship a few days ago helping a friend through his first few levels, I was like "strange, it's supposed to be a Dresden class, but it has 4 funnels...weird."

Then when I got the ship tonight, I was like "why is there a rip in the funnel?"  "Oh...it's canvas...it's fake.  I bet they did that to change the profile of the ship and fool people about what class it is at some point in the past."

That's awesome that's what it turned out to be :teethhappy:

Beta Testers
303 posts
1,529 battles

And then there's the Askold...

300px-Askold1901Kiel.jpg

I don't know nearly as much about ships as I do tanks but I guess even my subconscious knows that ships of that era didn't usually have 5 smokestacks. Looking at it my brain thinks it's like those photoshop jobs the North Koreans sometimes do to make it look like they have 12 missiles launching.

Members
2,378 posts
17,136 battles

I don't know nearly as much about ships as I do tanks but I guess even my subconscious knows that ships of that era didn't usually have 5 smokestacks. Looking at it my brain thinks it's like those photoshop jobs the North Koreans sometimes do to make it look like they have 12 missiles launching.

Askold is just one of those oddball ships. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Askold

:)

Members
645 posts
2,685 battles

Why are multiple people here calling propellers "screws"? It took me a minute to understand what on earth you were talking about. Is "screws" a nautical slang term for propellers?