Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Swine_007

Should lower tier BBs be played like heavy tanks ?

11 comments in this topic

[EGI]
[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,243 posts
33,237 battles

I play cruisers and dds a lot so I admit that there is some bias here.  I am wondering if there has been a change in mindset with the increasing lack of CVs in game.

It's a 3 part question really.  Are BBs supposed to be the rough equivalent of heavy tanks in WoT?  Are many BB drivers now playing ( at least in lower tiers ) their high HP heavy hitters like artillery and sitting back sniping and not pushing ?  Is this because they feel little danger in getting hit by planes when they sit still at maximum range ?  

I do get frustrated.  I know that lower tier BBs and US BBs in general are slow so I am not talking about moving slowly.  I'm talking about a lack of aggression and the seeming expectation that cruisers and dds are there to spot and protect the BBs when it seems to me that the BBs should be pushing as well to spot for and protect the CVs.  :red_button:

[-AFK-]
Members
7,321 posts
3,826 battles

I play my low tier BBs like bulldozers. I just keep pushing forward but keeping an eye on potential DD ambushes. Its paid of so far.

Members
1,348 posts
14,244 battles

When I push with a BB, my team turns and runs at the first sign of trouble (i.e. more than 1 enemy ship) and I'm left sitting in the breeze with my knickers down and 20,000 torps heading for me. 

So, yeah, there's not much aggression when a single DD can kill a BB in a single volley of torps. 

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,434 battles

This. Figure out early on where the main battle is going to be and just keep going; you're too slow to try anything fancy. Be wary of DD ambushes and drop whatever you're doing if a DD starts stalking you, obviously, but outside of that just get stuck in, close the range as fast as you can.

I do this with my New Mexico to great effect

[F4E-2]
Members
491 posts
14,000 battles

I try pushing with my BB but the other get scared when they see enemy ships and always turn and run  while I keep moving forward till I get focused on and sunk. I dont what to do with BBs.

[-AFK-]
Members
7,321 posts
3,826 battles

I try pushing with my BB but the other get scared when they see enemy ships and always turn and run  while I keep moving forward till I get focused on and sunk. I dont what to do with BBs.

That is why you division with like minded players. Nothing is more powerful than a division of BBs just steamrolling the enemy team on a flank lol
Edited by 10T0nHammer

Members
289 posts
1,605 battles

Low tier, or short range battle ship.. you point your self where you want to eventually be and chug along.. maybe snap some shots off at what ever runs into your gun range.. and ya gotta be a GOOD shot... and shooting the right kinda ammo at the right kinda target..

And take the shot anyway even if you dont have the right shell type for the target loaded.. its takes longer to pull and replace shells, then it does to just shoot and reload with the next type

(press the ammo select once to simply switch shell types in the next salvo.. hit it twice to NOT fire and change out loaded shell.  Be surprised how many folks DON'T know this)

DD and their torps.. (and Light cruisers and THIER torps) are a problem... more often then not the best solution is to point your bow at the DD/CL and bring em into secondary range.  If they are moving for a close range torp shot..its your best chance.. You just do not have the speed to disengage..  again switch shell type in the next salvo.. fire what ya got... an AP shell in a magazine, or through a boiler room of engine spaces will still make a big mess.. not as big a mess as a HE shell in a DD of CL.. but it beats nothing!  Put the shots in right at the water line if you can.. and AP shells that hit the water close alongside a DD will cause damage. and maybe slow the shell sufficiently that by the time it punched through the water and hits the ships side to trigger its bursting charge..(this IS being modeled in the game) I have sunk DD's with 14" AP rounds into the engines or through a magazine... it IS rare, but it can be done.

Note how much your ship slows in a full speed turn.. some of the early BB's can do a sharp "S" turn to dodge torps with out having to throttle dance.. Fast battleships that don't loose as much speed will have to chop the throttle on a turn to get the same chance of generating a miss.

If you see a DD even close to in torp range start evasive turns now.. don't wait to see the torps..assume they are all ready in the water heading toward you.  Same with cruisers.. remember that many low tier cruiser with torps have destroyer type torp arcs.

Back your view range off with your mouse wheel when in binoc view shooting at close DD's...you wanna be far nuff zoomed out that you can see where yer shots land so you can adjust your aim.. don't fire the whole broadside at once unless you absolutely sure you can NOT miss.. better to shoot, adjust, shoot. adjust.  It keep the DD honest, and busy, and worried.   If they've got to dodge shot while trying to get their own off they are more likely to get the shot wrong.. and for you, this is a good thing!

Always keep your objective for the match simple, and stick with it . its a battle and even the simple is difficult.    .as Jingles says if its stupid, and it works, its not stupid.

Good Luck, Good Hunting, and have fun FUN!

Members
289 posts
1,605 battles

The best way for a BB to get friendlies to follow is to citadel an enemy CA or two.  Watch them turn in to get the kill.

Lotta truth to that.. get'n into people heads is is a big part of tactics in this game..

[EGI]
[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,243 posts
33,237 battles

bb's are needed to push, but they also need support to enable them to move forward

They do need support.  I do however see frequently, in close games, all that remains at the end is 2 or 3 bbs a side and nothing else.  Which tells me they didn't push hard enough to engage.  How often do we see Myogis sitting at 19km shooting, and missing and not moving up ? 

Sign in to follow this