You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
__Not_One_Step_Back__

Tier X game after 5.2 patch..

39 comments in this topic

Members
34 posts
12,068 battles

For those that wonder what happens now in the high tier rooms, here is one of them.

2nk18qp.jpg

And here is the after score. We lost by 20 points at the end.

102m5gh.jpg

I don't want to comment anything on the game or patch or MM. Just use your mind and think about this for a moment. Is this the game you all want to play?

Edited by HisBelovedMother

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

Oh hey, I was the Kagero in that match. Even though I was a DD in that game, and actually being stock. That game wasn't really too fun...

[CJN]
Beta Testers
719 posts
9,349 battles

This is the first time Ive seen a real tier 9/10 game with a couple of tier 8s.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

seems about right.

Most cruisers aren't useful at killing DDs, where as Gearing, Khab, Fletcher and Udaloi are

Since CVs are nerfed to crap, DDs can roam around freely, without having to worry about getting spotted

Clearly, one of your Yamatos died way too early

• Cool 1

Members
34 posts
12,068 battles

seems about right.

Most cruisers aren't useful at killing DDs, where as Gearing, Khab, Fletcher and Udaloi are

Since CVs are nerfed to crap, DDs can roam around freely, without having to worry about getting spotted

So you mean the game should be like this? with full of dds, and almost no cruisers nor cvs. Then becomes a dd bb duel?

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

This is the first time Ive seen a real tier 9/10 game with a couple of tier 8s.

I think OP is complaining about World of BBs and DDs.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,651 battles

seems about right.

Cruisers are fine at KILLING DD's.  That's not the problem (unless there's a lack of willingness).  The problem is that CA's can't actually HUNT those DD's down to start killing them.  For the most part, no matter the tier, cruisers don't actually hunt DD's so much as they're a reactionary force for defending their heavies against DD's that are spotted for whatever reason.

As for CV's, I'm not shedding any tears about not seeing them.  As a heavy DD driver, the problem for me isn't that they spot me.  If they just spot me and perhaps attack me, fine, whatever.  What I absolutely hate is when some CV player just parks a squadron over my DD for the rest of the game, which pretty much ruins any chance of my DD being useful for the rest of that game.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I was in fubuki   in tier X against midway in open sea.     it was like 8v8 though.    at least it wasn't 10 DD battle    that would be tough.

Members
1,179 posts
1,238 battles

That's how it was before the patch.  One of the most fun matches I ever had was with 10 battleships on each side.  Once the DDs were gone and it was 10v10 BBs it was great.

[-K-]
Members
484 posts
5,728 battles

Cruisers are fine at KILLING DD's.  That's not the problem (unless there's a lack of willingness).  The problem is that CA's can't actually HUNT those DD's down to start killing them.  For the most part, no matter the tier, cruisers don't actually hunt DD's so much as they're a reactionary force for defending their heavies against DD's that are spotted for whatever reason.

This is a very, very good observation. CA's can cover for BBs by firing at DDs spotted, and in low tiers can even be slightly ahead of the BB it is protecting, but they never really hunt for DDs as DDs can disengage and leave the CA over extended. It doesn't help that enemy BBs often fire at whatever is closest. The only ships that can actively screen for and hunt down enemy DDs are allied DDs, or CVs with air superiority.

• Cool 1

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Seems pretty even, you did get the T9 division and reds got the T10 division. MM can't handle divisions and has never been able to.

Members
858 posts
15,015 battles

That's how most of them are now.  Sucks.  Torp spam luck chucks ftw.  Short lived it will be.  Mark this post, next patch concealment gets nerfed on dds OR cruisers get a very nice buff to better spot them.  2 months max.

Edited by klattsberg

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

This is a very, very good observation. CA's can cover for BBs by firing at DDs spotted, and in low tiers can even be slightly ahead of the BB it is protecting, but they never really hunt for DDs as DDs can disengage and leave the CA over extended. It doesn't help that enemy BBs often fire at whatever is closest. The only ships that can actively screen for and hunt down enemy DDs are allied DDs, or CVs with air superiority.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Unless you want to be a free citadel pinata in your cruiser, you don't over extend yourself, keep back, and hope a friendly DD or recon airplane spots it, so you can shoot at it, while constantly evading enemy BB shells trying to citadel pinata you.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

That's how most of them are now.  Sucks.  Torp spam luck chucks ftw.  Short lived it will be.  Mark this post, next patch concealment gets nerfed on dds OR cruisers get a very nice buff to better spot them.  2 months max.

Or, you know, a seaplane fighter I can tell to go scout ahead of me. Then I might actually have a chance at hunting the DD, because, right now it's the CV's or DD's job to do that, which is dumb and broken.

Beta Testers
115 posts
6,452 battles

Yeah high tier matches right now are just bleh... I perform better in my NC than my Yamato as of late because of the torpedo shenanigans. That and cruisers still exist at t8....

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

All I'd like is for ship detection and airplane detection ranges to be the same. A DD is not detected by an airplane until around 3km but ships can detect them around 6km. If airplanes had the same chances to detect them, DDs would be less of a problem. I'd even go as far as suggest making planes unable to detect torpedoes, that way people who play exclusively Destroyers would feel like they at least got something in return for that detectability nerf.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,651 battles

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Unless you want to be a free citadel pinata in your cruiser, you don't over extend yourself, keep back, and hope a friendly DD or recon airplane spots it, so you can shoot at it, while constantly evading enemy BB shells trying to citadel pinata you.

Another part of the issue is the range on IJN DD torps, in particular.  Starting with the Fubuki, IJN DDs can have 15km range torps (20km starting with the Kagero).  (I prefer the 10 km torps in the Fubuki, but that's personal preference.)   And when you have DD's using 15km range torpedoes, some of us DD drivers will prefer not getting as close to the edge of our DD's stealth range and will prefer to be firing our torps at safer ranges, over 10 km from the target.  And the greater the range one is firing those torpedoes from their targets, the more difficult it would be for any screening cruisers to hit that DD, if it did happen to get spotted, by a friendly DD or plane.  I mean, hitting a spotted and moving DD at around 14-15 km is like hitting the lottery. 

That's the big difference between low-mid tier IJN DDs and the highest tier IJN DD's.  In those low to mid tier DD's, they're much more likely to be firing those torpedoes at much shorter ranges where cruisers are going to have a much easier time hitting them once spotted.  It also means that cruisers don't really have to overextend (at least not much) to try to close in on those spotted DDs in the low-mid tiers, whereas in the high tiers, they'd probably have to greatly overextend themselves to chase after a DD that was spotted 10-15 km away from them.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Another part of the issue is the range on IJN DD torps, in particular.  Starting with the Fubuki, IJN DDs can have 15km range torps (20km starting with the Kagero).  (I prefer the 10 km torps in the Fubuki, but that's personal preference.)   And when you have DD's using 15km range torpedoes, some of us DD drivers will prefer not getting as close to the edge of our DD's stealth range and will prefer to be firing our torps at safer ranges, over 10 km from the target.  And the greater the range one is firing those torpedoes from their targets, the more difficult it would be for any screening cruisers to hit that DD, if it did happen to get spotted, by a friendly DD or plane.  I mean, hitting a spotted and moving DD at around 14-15 km is like hitting the lottery. 

That's the big difference between low-mid tier IJN DDs and the highest tier IJN DD's.  In those low to mid tier DD's, they're much more likely to be firing those torpedoes at much shorter ranges where cruisers are going to have a much easier time hitting them once spotted.  It also means that cruisers don't really have to overextend (at least not much) to try to close in on those spotted DDs in the low-mid tiers, whereas in the high tiers, they'd probably have to greatly overextend themselves to chase after a DD that was spotted 10-15 km away from them.

Yeah, Fubuki long range torps are incredibly bad, due to their extremely slow speed.

Go up to Kagero and Shimakaze, and then they are viable.

The main reason to use those long range torps, are to avoid getting detected by the likes of Benson, Udaloi, etc., because they can easily wreck Fubuki and Kagero. Shimakaze has speed to outrun USN DDs, but that's doubtful against Soviet DDs.

USN DDs from Benson and up are even better at torping than IJN DDs of the same tier, especially if there are no DDs, because their torps are actually decent now and their guns still pack a lot of punch at their lowest or nearly lowest detection range.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,839 battles

Yet destroyers are under performing, amazing so many want to play them.

>runs and hides from the DD mafia<

Members
121 posts
1,815 battles

Ship compositions will be dynamic as hulls get nerfed and buffed. Gamers are max/min people who'll always chase 'the best' at any given patch cycle.

What I will say pre & post patch is:

1) People are now actually brawling I'm T10 ships, whereas before the matches were boring, sniper oriented, and the clock often expired with only a small number of casualties.

Now there is an actual fight.

2) Carrier resurgence is noticeable. It's nice to have to strategies AA and protect your CVs. At this level many of the small niches some ships occupy are actually needed.