Super_Dreadnought

IJN in colour (image intensive!)

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

230 posts in this topic

The IJN has always interested me. They just have that 'exotic' aura and the 'tragically doomed' story that imho I feel Western navies of the WW1-WW2 era simply didn't have. Unfortunately none of their ships survive unlike say USS Texas or Iowa, and the world largely knows their ships via monochrome images. However I knew that there were photographs which had been professionally edited to include colour so I went out to find them. Thankfully I managed to find a truckload, after saving them all to my PC I will share them here.
I was debating with myself whether to put this topic here or in the Battleship Era sub-forum. In the end I decided this would be the best place since it'll take longer to get buried. I'll try to post 10 images a day until I run out, real life permitting.
EDIT: For those of you interested, they are the work of irootoko_jr over on http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/. This site and these images have been around for several years now, but they're always great to look at.

>>>>Irootoko_jr​<<<< Yes that really is the forum profile of the real one.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Super_Dreadnought

Oooh Pretty. Thanks for the images. Now I just cant wait to see what they actually do ingame.

Very interesting, and colorful. I like the aircraft carrier, its a nice looking ship (to me).

Is that a I-402 i see there >.>

Posted Image

May as well add in a bit of Takao-ness here xD

Posted Image

Oh and also Akagi maybe

Posted Image

They are very good images by the way. Its nice to see old ships brought back again with colours. Edited by carvine1

The Ryujo and the Ryuho were spelled very alike, and at first I thought thy were the same carrier. But there were some differences between the two pics and it took me like 5 min to figure out it was two different ships.  :teethhappy:

I've got about 440 colour images to get through. It'll take me 44 days if I post 10 at a time.

The thing I really like is that many of these images were taken when the ships were not heading for battle. So you see the crew going about their daily lives oblivious to the fact that tragically many of them will die for a futile cause. In colour you can really relate to those ships and their crew in a way that you can't with black and white photos.

It would have been interesting to know what life was like on these ships, I mean almost all the ships were self contained mini cities.. even the smaller ones.

View PostJamoise, on 08 November 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

It would have been interesting to know what life was like on these ships, I mean almost all the ships were self contained mini cities.. even the smaller ones.
Do you mean something like this>.> as in city size.

Posted Image

Well I can be sure that life in the sea for someone like me who has been on land for all of my life will be hard to get adjusted to.

View Postcarvine1, on 08 November 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

Do you mean something like this>.> as in city size.

Posted Image

Well I can be sure that life in the sea for someone like me who has been on land for all of my life will be hard to get adjusted to.

Posted Image

Please have a courtesy to credit these to the original author, as the work involved in creating these kinds of colourizations is fairly extensive.

For those of you interested, they are the work of irootoko_jr over on http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/. This site and these images have been around for several years now, but they're always great to look at. Thanks for sharing them here.

Edited by Elouda

View PostElouda, on 08 November 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Please have a courtesy to credit these to the original author, as the work involved in creating these kinds of colourizations is fairly extensive.
For those of you interested, they are the work of irootoko_jr over on http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/ . This site and these images have been around for several years now, but they're always great to look at. Thanks for sharing them here.
Thank you Elouda for the info, I didn't know who to credit the images to before. I will edit that into the OP a little later after a nap. Edited into OP Edited by Super_Dreadnought

wow! those are some amazing images. I particularly liked the first one of the carrier rusting.

Excelent pictures!!! if you want, i can help you uploading that pictures, i have a punch of them, well not over 400 but yep, a little collection xP

Like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

View PostSuper_Dreadnought, on 08 November 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

I've got about 440 colour images to get through. It'll take me 44 days if I post 10 at a time.

The thing I really like is that many of these images were taken when the ships were not heading for battle. So you see the crew going about their daily lives oblivious to the fact that tragically many of them will die for a futile cause. In colour you can really relate to those ships and their crew in a way that you can't with black and white photos.

Exactly what i was thinking...

View PostOrcrist225, on 08 November 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

nice shots.  japanese carriers always look like they are uneven or broken somehow
A lot of the early ones were conversions like most navies at the time had...
Ryuho was a submarine tender
Ryujo was planned as a battlecruiser.. became very top heavy as seen in the pic.
Akagi was also a converted battlecruiser hull and in the 1929 pic, it is a triple deck carrier which was later converted to a standard single deck
The Hosho was the world's first purpose built aircraft carrier. Edited by Jinxed_Katajainen