You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JohnPJones

the number of people who don't know john paul jones...

48 comments in this topic

Members
3,115 posts
6,734 battles

it is astounding. 90% of the time when some one comments on my name in game it's "hurrr durrr like from the movie battleship!" or "oh man we got the drummer from metallica (or which ever band it is) playing with us!"

on a north american server? really? does while there might be some candians the majority are americans...playing a naval war-game, and they don't know who john paul freaking jones is? are you kidding me?

sorry, i felt the need to rant it out...

[DRACS]
Members, In AlfaTesters
298 posts
1,395 battles

big name in us naval history not so much for the rest of us, just putting it into perspective NA is the Americas and not just the USA.

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

Wasn't he the "Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead" guy? :trollface:

Yes, I know that was David Farragut

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

Come on man he was the bassist of Led Zeppelin, Metallica's drummer is Lars Ulrich.:hiding:

On the bright side least the Battleship movie gets him in associated with the Navy, if you were rolling Stephen Decatur or Isaac Hull you wouldn't even get that much.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,599 posts
5,205 battles

Wasn't he an Admiral in the Russian Navy?

What... :fishpalm:

I mean Catherine the Great wanted his "Jones" if you know what I mean 

index.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fcoppermine.co

But no, he pretty much created the American Navy :honoring:

[TCAL]
Members
1,227 posts
12,840 battles

What... :fishpalm:

I mean Catherine the Great wanted his "Jones" if you know what I mean 

index.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fcoppermine.co

But no, he pretty much created the American Navy :honoring:

He didn't actually create the American Navy. In fact, because America didn't give him a command or even steady work, he did go to Russia where he became an Admiral. He ended up living in Paris, where he died at 45.

[LONER]
Members
40 posts
6,600 battles

Despite what you and a couple of other people around here think, the majority of WoWs players are not even slightly interested in naval military history. For the same reason as there are so many MWO players who aren't remotely interested in Battletech.

Most players just want to use big things to shoot other big things, in a flashy and interesting way. The context is largely irrelevant.

Learn to live with it mate, it's not going to change.

Sad, but entirely true.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

it is astounding. 90% of the time when some one comments on my name in game it's "hurrr durrr like from the movie battleship!" or "oh man we got the drummer from metallica (or which ever band it is) playing with us!"

on a north american server? really? does while there might be some candians the majority are americans...playing a naval war-game, and they don't know who john paul freaking jones is? are you kidding me?

sorry, i felt the need to rant it out...

I have not yet begun to fight!

Beta Testers
1,708 posts
189 battles

The John Paul Jones.

Britain has only been attacked on its soil five times by invaders. By the Romans, by the Anglo-Saxons, by the Vikings, by the Normans.

And then by John Paul Jones

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

The John Paul Jones.

Britain has only been attacked on its soil five times by invaders. By the Romans, by the Anglo-Saxons, by the Vikings, by the Normans.

And then by John Paul Jones

The French actually attacked British soil in the 1700s at one point. They actually took Dover and some other southern British territory before being forced back.

Beta Testers
1,708 posts
189 battles

The French actually attacked British soil in the 1700s at one point. They actually took Dover and some other southern British territory before being forced back.

I stand corrected then. 

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

I think you are greatly underestimating how much us Canadians know about our neighbour. I also think you're overestimating the American education system, which is ranked as one of the worst in the first world.

• Cool 2

[BLEP]
[BLEP]
Members
1,986 posts
18,271 battles

Not the worst in the world. Perhaps one of the worst in the modern/first world nations though. Much of Europe and even Asia have much better education systems than we do.  That being said, by the time you are in high school, and you are an American, you should at least have heard of John Paul Jones.

Edited by Kingfishercritic

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Not the worst in the world. Perhaps one of the worst in the modern/first world nations though. Much of Europe and even Asia have much better education systems than we do.  That being said, by the time you are in high school, and you are an American, you should at least have heard of John Paul Jones.

I said "one of the worst in the first world" not "worst in all of the world". 

[TCAL]
Members
1,227 posts
12,840 battles

I stand corrected then. 

If you count the Channel Islands as British territory, The Germans occupied them from 30 June 1940 until 9 May, 1945.

[TCAL]
Members
1,227 posts
12,840 battles

I think you are greatly underestimating how much us Canadians know about our neighbour. I also think you're overestimating the American education system, which is ranked as one of the worst in the first world.

The U.S. Department of Education and Teacher's Unions had nothing to do with it...:P