Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tulisang

US Navy Seaplane Lost in Pearl Harbor Attack

11 comments in this topic

[TBCIC]
Members
648 posts
9,057 battles

Incredible Images Reveal US Navy Seaplane Lost in Pearl Harbor Attack

Fox News - Archaeologists from NOAA and the University of Hawaii have released incredible images of a U.S. Navy plane sunk during the opening minutes of the attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 1941  ... more

Interesting.  These were the same birds (Catalinas) that were integral in the hours leading up to the Battle of Midway.  And interesting to note that they were also used as bombers, aside from reconnaissance and rescue. 

• Cool 2

[LG_X]
Beta Testers
1 post
4,156 battles

Please let's all remember all of those that gave their lives from both sides in rememberiance of Pearl Harbor. I am a U.S. Veteran and I do understand the concept that the Japanese Soldiers were just following orders. So that being said I my opinion they all deserve our respect past, present, and future. Never forget they payed the ultimate price and those that did not return home left their loved ones to pick up the pieces. Hardest job in any military is served by the families left behind.

Thank You

Members
3,115 posts
6,734 battles

yep, the catalina was a work horse, they could do recon, but they could also act as medium bombers, or heavy torpedo bombers. (i think they could carry like 8 500lb bombs and 4 torpedoes)

Members
3,115 posts
6,734 battles

Please let's all remember all of those that gave their lives from both sides in rememberiance of Pearl Harbor. I am a U.S. Veteran and I do understand the concept that the Japanese Soldiers were just following orders. So that being said I my opinion they all deserve our respect past, present, and future. Never forget they payed the ultimate price and those that did not return home left their loved ones to pick up the pieces. Hardest job in any military is served by the families left behind.

Thank You

sorry, but "just following orders" does not excuse one from the responsibility of evil and reprehensible actions. the nuremberg trials proved as much. attacking a neutral nation unprovoked is an evil and reprehensible act.

Beta Testers
70 posts
6,974 battles

sorry, but "just following orders" does not excuse one from the responsibility of evil and reprehensible actions. the nuremberg trials proved as much. attacking a neutral nation unprovoked is an evil and reprehensible act.

The japanese declaration of war was intended to be delivered in Washington before the attack but the embassy took to long decoding the message from Japan. The Japanese navy had believed it was declared before they attacked.

[E-M-S]
Members
49 posts
4,335 battles

The japanese declaration of war was intended to be delivered in Washington before the attack but the embassy took to long decoding the message from Japan. The Japanese navy had believed it was declared before they attacked.

The US knew, as they had been reading the Japanese Purple diplomatic code for a while.  The US decoders had translated the message before the Japanese embassy did.  But there was enough ambiguity to cast doubt on what the next move would be. Radio silence in the Japanese fleet prevented any updates on the diplomatic delay.

Edited by CA_Captain

Members
8 posts
586 battles

Did you know that the reason why Pearl Harbor was so devastating against US planes is because the idiot leader had put all of the ships in the middle of the runway. Also on the same day a group of US bombers were returning to Pearl Harbor and the rador people thought the enemy planes were the bombers when they saw them on radar an hour before the attack.

Sign in to follow this