Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USMC_6432

U-2G....Carrier Borne Intel?!

21 comments in this topic

USMC_6432    128

Thought you guys might enjoy this intriguing video of some tests that may surprise many.

• Cool 4

Coldt    338

I'd hate to be the pilot.  It'd be interesting, but I really hope the U-2 doesn't make it into game.  It's a bit out of period, about a full decade, actually.  Carrier based U-2's didn't see service until the 1960's.

Ariecho    2,238

I will admit I didn't know about it.  I'll have to come back with a +1 (spent them all today)

TheFishlord    75

Interesting, I knew that with such a low stall speed modifying a U2 to land on a carrier would be pretty easy. Never thought they'd try launching it though, I always thought it needed a very very long runway. Doesn't seem like they're using the catapults either.

triptyx    632

Wow, leave it to the Military.

It's kind of like they were all sitting around doing Tequila shots one night and an Air Force Admiral bets a Navy Admiral...."Bet ya can't run one of those off of an aircraft carrier."

• Cool 1

Tanz    1,547

Awesome vid  :medal:

Jracule    898

Nothing surprises me after watching that

• Cool 1

NGTM_1R    1,976

I don't think the U-2 airframe was up to doing this very often.

View Posttriptyx, on 26 October 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

Wow, leave it to the Military.

It's kind of like they were all sitting around doing Tequila shots one night and an Air Force Admiral bets a Navy Admiral...."Bet ya can't run one of those off of an aircraft carrier."
I can see that clearly I wander f that is what happened ?

snoopy_jr    164

Great historic videos! It's amazing what they could land on aircraft carriers!

USMC_6432    128

wow! I'm really happy by all the interest in this. Here is some more information on this interesting program from the Navy:

The U-2 and Aircraft Carrier Deployment

Related resource:

Center for the Study of Intelligence (Central Intelligence Agency)

In the early 1950s, because of the poor quality of intelligence estimates on Soviet strategic capabilities, American political and military leaders searched for new ways to collect intelligence on the communist bloc countries. One answer was to design a platform capable of providing strategic overhead intelligence. In 1954-55, the Central Intelligence Agency and Lockheed Corporation jointly developed a high-altitude single-engine reconnaissance aircraft called the CL-282, more famously known as the U-2.

In addition to gathering strategic intelligence, the U-2 also provided up-to-date information on crisis situations all around the world. The first use of the U-2 to gather tactical intelligence occurred during the 1956 Suez Crisis. U-2 flights also supported the US intervention in Lebanon in 1958 and provided photographic intelligence during the Cuban Missile Crisis in late 1962. Such intelligence proved crucial for American political and naval planners alike.

Source for the following text: Pendlow, Gregory W. and Donald E. Welzenbach. The CIA and the U-2 Program, 1954-1974. Central Intelligence Agency, 1988. pp. 247-49. [This publication can be purchased from the National Technical Information Service (NTIS), 5285 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA 22161. Telephone (703) 605-6000 or 1-800-553-NTIS].

Modification of U-2s for Aircraft Carrier Deployment

In mid-1963, the Office of Special Activities set in motion Project WHALE TALE to examine the possibility of adapting the U-2 aircraft for operations from an aircraft carrier [sentence deleted by CIA]

CIA planners believed that, if U-2s could be modified to operate from aircraft carriers, the United States could avoid the political problems involved in seeking permission to base U-2s in other nations. Kelly Johnson [lead Lockheed designer] began working on changes to the aircraft, and Office of Special Activities Deputy Director James A. Cunningham, Jr., a former Marine Corps aviator, asked the Navy for assistance.

The first test of the U-2s capability for carrier operations took place in August 1963 from the USS Kitty Hawk operating in the Pacific Ocean off San Diego, California. A U-2C, which had been loaded aboard the carrier at North Island Naval Base, took off from the flight deck with a full load of fuel and was airborne within 321 feet. No assistance from catapults was necessary. Although the takeoff was very successful, the attempted landing was not. The aircraft bounced, hit hard on one wing tip, and then just barely managed to become airborne again before reaching the end of the deck. Kelly Johnson realized that the airframe would have to be altered in order to make carrier landings possible. These alterations involved strengthening the landing gear, installing an arresting hook at the rear of the fuselage, and fitting "spoilers" on the wings to cancel the aerodynamic lift once the aircraft was over the flight deck. Aircraft thus modified were designated U-2G. While several aircraft underwent these modifications, [several words deleted by CIA] pilots began undergoing training in landing on aircraft carriers. The first successful carrier landing took place on 2 March 1964.

Edited by ZimmerSkimmer

esoess1    12

Downed.

1.May 1, 1960 near Sverdlovsk calculation of the S-75 Major M. Voronov was hit by a U-2 (56-6693) piloted by F. Powers. The pilot left the aircraft after landing and was arrested.

2.September 9, 1962 Chinese S-75 in Nanchang brought down U-2 (56-6711) Taiwan Air Force running Chen Huayshena. The pilot ejected and died in hospital from his injuries.

3.October 27, 1962 at 18:20 GMT in the town of Banes (Cuba), the calculation of S-75 was shot down by Major I.Gerchenova U-2 (56-6676) under R.Andersona. The pilot was killed.

4.November 1, 1963 Chinese S-75 shot down U-2 (56-6688) Taiwan Air Force, piloted by E Chanyu. The pilot ejected and was captured.

5.7 July 1964 Chinese S-75 in Fuyang downed U-2 (56-6695) Taiwan Air Force under the control of Lee Nunley. The pilot was killed.

6.January 10, 1965 Chinese S-75 southwest of Beijing shot down U-2 (56-6691) Taiwan Air Force running Lyuya Chan. The pilot ejected and was captured.

S-75.

Posted Image

Crag_r    1,276

View Postesoess1, on 26 October 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

Downed.

1.May 1, 1960 near Sverdlovsk calculation of the S-75 Major M. Voronov was hit by a U-2 (56-6693) piloted by F. Powers. The pilot left the aircraft after landing and was arrested.
2.September 9, 1962 Chinese S-75 in Nanchang brought down U-2 (56-6711) Taiwan Air Force running Chen Huayshena. The pilot ejected and died in hospital from his injuries.
3.October 27, 1962 at 18:20 GMT in the town of Banes (Cuba), the calculation of S-75 was shot down by Major I.Gerchenova U-2 (56-6676) under R.Andersona. The pilot was killed.
4.November 1, 1963 Chinese S-75 shot down U-2 (56-6688) Taiwan Air Force, piloted by E Chanyu. The pilot ejected and was captured.
5.7 July 1964 Chinese S-75 in Fuyang downed U-2 (56-6695) Taiwan Air Force under the control of Lee Nunley. The pilot was killed.
6.January 10, 1965 Chinese S-75 southwest of Beijing shot down U-2 (56-6691) Taiwan Air Force running Lyuya Chan. The pilot ejected and was captured.

S-75.

Posted Image

Welcome to the forums. Nice info, but not really applicable to the U-2G

esoess1    12

View PostCrag_r, on 26 October 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

Welcome to the forums. Nice info, but not really applicable to the U-2G
U-2g different from u-2, only a little more heavy duty landing gear and hook and spoilers.
Three aircraft were converted.
In a previous post, I meant that u2 (including its modification times) not really was difficult to bring down.

carvine1    291

Excitingly intresting xD  :tongue: Funny how it just bounced of the deck

USMC_6432    128

Well due to the threat of SA-2s they implemented special iron ball paint to diffuse radar and the modern TR-1 likely has that and very complex ECM gear. The flights that ended in shootdowns were flyovers where as modern missions are oblique stand off missions where in most cases the U-2 never enters enemy airspace.

Gotta admit, watching a U2 try to land on a carrier is one of the most amusing things I've seen in a while, also a brilliant if fundamentally flawed idea. +1 either way.

USMC_6432    128

It was actually a very functional idea. The need just wasn't there. It only had some minor landing accidents. Landing accidents for any carrier type at the time were very common.

Edited by ZimmerSkimmer