You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fusion_1965

Crossing the Equator with Karlsruhe and Yorck

19 comments in this topic

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles

-

Wikipedia

-

The ceremony of Crossing the Line is an initiation rite in the British Merchant Navy, Dutch merchant navy, Royal Navy, U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Marine Corps, Russian Navy, and other navies that commemorates a sailor's first crossing of the Equator.[1] The tradition may have originated with ceremonies when passing headlands, and become a "folly" sanctioned as a boost to morale,[2] or have been created as a test for seasoned sailors to ensure their new shipmates were capable of handling long rough times at sea. Sailors who have already crossed the Equator are nicknamed (Trusty/Honorable) Shellbacks, often referred to as Sons of Neptune; those who have not are nicknamed (Slimy) Pollywogs (in 1832 the nickname griffins was noted [3]).

Equator-crossing ceremonies, typically featuring King Neptune, are also sometimes carried out for passengers' entertainment on civilian ocean liners and cruise ships. They are also performed in the merchant navy and aboard sail training ships

-

-

-

-

-

Edited by Fusion_1965
  • Cool 1

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles

Karlsruhe is fully upgraded.  The AP dmg and Cits seem improved since my 1st time using her.  Should be o.k. for credit grinding.  I'm depending on Karlsruhe to pay for Yorck's upgrades and repairs.  Hopefully when Yorck is fully upgraded, she will be able to pay her own repair bill. This is not the 1st time I've played Yorck. Unfortunately the last time around I NERD RAGED and sold Yorck.  I've gained some experience since then however, so hopefully this 2nd run will be more successful.

I have the FKS TYP 7 mod 2, main battery modification 2, and steering gears modification 2

Fortunately, I saved Yorck's original Captain who has 7 skill pts:

Basics of Survivability

Basic Fire Training

Expert Marksman

High Alert

The original strategy was to primarily play Yorck and build XP until repair bills require falling back to Karlsruhe.  Unexpectedly, playing Karlsruhe has turned out to be very entertaining and I think I will stay on her long enough to pay for Yorck's  (B) Hull - $1,800,000.  Also looking forward to trying Advanced Fire Training on Karlsruhe.

Edited by Fusion_1965

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles

Wait, you LIKE the Karlsruhe???

FREAK!!!

One common trait Karlsruhe and Yorck both share is a lack of popularity in the forums.  I believe they have been called the worst ships in the game.  I basically put my foot in my mouth when I made a statement saying Yorck is just like any other CA with a slow traverse speed. I realized I was a hypocrite by advocating Yorck when actually I had sold her and was piloting Myoko.  Perhaps I will find some redemption by returning to Yorck.  As I require a lower tier ship to help support repair bills, Karlsruhe came to mind as they are both quite the pair.

-

-

-

-

I was mistaken when I said Karlsruhe was fully upgraded.  I still need to add propulsion module 1, but prior to selecting it, I wanted to verify from actual experience whether it was a superior choice over steering gears modification 1.  The strangest thing is happening though.  As I'm waiting to see evidence to help me decide, I've noticed that for several games now, I have not taken any damage to the engine or steering gear.

I'm starting to suspect that Karlsruhe is rather durable for its class.  Perhaps I have just found favor from RNGesus although I am starting to notice that my shell projectiles seem to be heavily effected by dispersion.  Regardless, I have racked up a few citadel hits and the upgraded torpedoes have scored several deadly strikes.

-

-

-

-

Edited by Fusion_1965

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles

I got one of those too.

Greetings Fellow Shellbacks!  I crossed over as a Pollywog during my 1st deployment in 91' and then again as an Honorary Shellback in 93'.

=

=

=

11/19 - 1st poor game in Karlsruhe.  Only scored 6 hits vs a Furtaka before I was killed.  Had to refrain from using torpedoes because a teammate was in the fire zone which was frustrating.  I did not watch the match to the end but instead returned to port and got on Yorck.

Being onboard Yorck after so much time on Karlsruhe felt refreshing.  After all, she is a tier 7 ship regardless of all the criticism she takes.  Immediately someone was being rude in chat, complaining that everyone needed to get out of our starting positions and hurry up and attack.  Players were still zoning in and this guy was already getting impatient.  I won't repeat what he said to the group, but I deliberately went with the ships moving in the direction opposite of his.

We engaged at range, both sides were in force but with so many ships, I was able to fire and avoid drawing any attention.  Avoiding a teammate forced me to expose my broadside which filled me with a bit of anxiety, but luckily, I did not take any fire.  Then the rude guy started again in chat.  Apparently he was the 1st to die.  He began thanking everyone with sarcasm for all the help he did not receive.  I could not keep quiet and had to reply - "either because you're rude, or because you noob rushed alone".

Our Amagi was calling for an advance, but he was rather polite about it.  This is when I paid closer attention to the map and noticed many of our team members had found their way back to our starting location.  Perhaps the rude guy did have a point.  I was pleased to be in range with the Amagi along with one other cruiser.  I felt like saying, "See, I'm not camping, can't blame me"  but I kept that to myself.

An enemy DD was harassing the Amagi and he changed course rapidly.  The other cruiser headed straight for the DD's last known position.  I set an intercept course as well, but I put about 30 deg's to my approach.  It seemed like a trap.  As I feared, the other CA was struck by torpedoes and sunk.  The Amagi was safely out of torpedo range, but now I was alone with out a location for the DD.  Then he appeared to starboard and my entire broadside was exposed.   Fortunately, all of my guns were set to engage and I was able to unload everything I had (HE).  I spread the shells as I fired sequentially in his direction and several must have hit because I scored a devastating strike and the DD was destroyed instantly.

I was not clear yet though.  From his direction came multiple torpedoes tightly formed (narrow).  There was no way to soak up a hit. That many torpedoes would take out a battleship.  I turned hard to port and the narrow spread of torpedoes straddled me, but not a single one hit.  I was in the clear.

As I checked the map, it appeared that the campers had actually been successful in their strategy because they were still in the starting zone, but there were no contacts on the map.   I had a straight shot to the enemy's CAP zone.   I checked the status of all the players and noted that an enemy DD was still active.  I sent out 2 spreads of torpedoes into the enemy's CAP in anticipation.  He came up on the scope, but I could relax, he was in our Zone with all the players that had been camping - he would not live long.  Unfortunately, there would not be enough time for me to cap.  I had a kill, but would it be enough to cover my repair bill?  That's when I realized, I had not taken a single hit.  As I hoped, I was able to profit with $90,000 after repairs even w/o much attrition damage dealt.  If I can continue like this, the Hipper may not be as far away as I imagined.

11/19 - Went back and checked a screen shot, turns out it was only $70,000 and I kept about $50,000 of that after repairs.  That's about what I make with Karlsruhe, but it shows I can progress with Yorck (and she's not fully upgraded yet).

Edited by Fusion_1965

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles

11/20 - A couple bad turn of events:  In Karlsruhe I was torp'd by friendly fire.  It happened early in the match and I ended up going back to port early instead of watching the match in spectator mode.  While Karlsruhe was in battle, I jumped into Yorck and joined a new fight.  MM had me as top tier along with 3 others.  The majority of the players were lower level.  Even though I was top tier, my gameplay was disappointing because all I could think about was the repair bill and not scratching the paint.  This became very apparent to me when I found myself running from a Furutaka.  If that wasn't bad enough, I torp'd a friendly DD by accident.  How ironic, right after I was torp'd in Karlsruhe.

-

Perhaps I'm not ready to Cross the Equator in Yorck.  Karlsruhe however I feel is a viable ship.  I believe there were some improvements made that corresponded with a recent patch.  Her range and speed still leave an opening for criticism, but she can still be competitive.  As far as Yorck stands, I've seen other Captains have success with her.  I myself have had some high moments with Yorck.  However, I must concede and acknowledge the difficulty in operating her.  In addition, I would like to apologize to the other Captains that I contradicted with statements about overcoming conditions with Yorck.

I shouldn't put all the blame on Yorck though.  I have played Nagato and Myoko at tier 7 with obstacles as well.   With Nagato, I was constantly concerned with repair bills, but I did have her fully upgraded.  With Myoko, I became confident and successful enough to progress.  Earning credits and experience was not as much of a concern once I had her fully upgraded.  Even so, it was a lot of work to operate her and I probably am more adept to a cruiser at a lower tier.

I am still relatively new to the game.  At my skill level, I feel that I would excel better at tier 5 or 6.  I think I was most successful overall in Aoba.  Perhaps I can consolidate what's left of my resources and try again.   <Crosses the Quaterdeck aboard Yorck.  Turns Aft to face the Ensign and salutes. The 1MC sounds off - Fusion Departing>

Edited by Fusion_1965

Beta Testers
298 posts

Have you considered Kongsberg as your credit generator?   I found it generated more credits than the Karlsruhe.

Tirpitz would be much better than either but it does cost real-world money.

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles

Have you considered Kongsberg as your credit generator?   I found it generated more credits than the Karlsruhe.

Tirpitz would be much better than either but it does cost real-world money.

Tirpitz?  Are all premium ships great at earning credits?   If I were to purchase anything from the premium shop it would most likely be enough Free XP to pass Yorck!  Konigsburg was actually the ship I was using before I switched to Karlsruhe.  Great ship!  I was being stubborn when I chose Karlsruhe and Yorck .  Definitely a learning experience.

One thing I learned is that if you google Fusion (nuclear) and check wikipidia, you will get a link to a German physicist named Fredrick Hund.  It turns out that he was born in Karlsruhe!:B

-

Friedrich Hermann Hund (4 February 1896 – 31 March 1997) was a Germanphysicist from Karlsruhe known for his work on atoms and molecules

-When I 1st started playing WoWS, I didn't realize that in the Modules section there was a tab next to Ammunition & Consumables called "Upgrades" for the longest time.  After discovering this tab, I fully upgraded Wyoming, Kuma, Kongo, Fuso, and Nagato all at once without realizing the signifigance or value of what I just did.  It's funny though because I used to scratch my head and think to myself, "XP sure goes fast, but I have all these credits and there's really nothing to spend them on..."

- I developed a bad habbit of selling ships in my port in order to try a new ship.  If I would have been diligent and focused on the very 1st line I progressed on (U.S. Battleships), I'm sure by now I'd be Captain of North Carolina.  I switched from U.S to Japan and then to Germany and back 'n forth so many times....  BLAH!!!

Edited by Fusion_1965

Members
7 posts
2,058 battles

I too  am  a Shellback  ,Pollywog 1986 , then to  the Med a Shellback. .Fusion_1965,  what  ship  is  that  on your  post? And  yes  Brain  ,It's  Called  Blue Nose which I  am  not.

Members
3 posts
2,920 battles

Well....I'm kind of enjoying my time on the Yorck, if you don't mind me saying that!

But...my money maker is the Koenigsberg!

:amazed:

Edited by Panzer_Korps84

Members
65 posts
5,243 battles

Bit of advice -- the forum has a tendency of devolving into a Hive-mindset. I play the Yorck almost exclusively. If it was as bad as people claim it is, I wouldn't have the stats that I do. If a ship calls out to you, ignore the naysayers! 

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:15 PM, wharfrat said:

I too  am  a Shellback  ,Pollywog 1986 , then to  the Med a Shellback. .Fusion_1965,  what  ship  is  that  on your  post? And  yes  Brain  ,It's  Called  Blue Nose which I  am  not.

If your still out there Wharfrat, the posted ship is USS Acadia AD-42 Yellowstone Class Destroyer Tender.  Hope to see you on deck - If I can squeeze 3 yrs. of updates onto this hard drive...

Members
26 posts
575 battles

Shellback since 1979 on Westpac.

I've been playing the Karlsruhe along with the T4 USN Phoenix and the two are like night and day. The Phoenix glides like a surfboard on the waves, but the Karlsruhe is like sheet of plywood in mud. Still, I want to find a way to accurately and confidently play her in Random before moving to the Konigsberg. What's the best way to play this ship, rack up some damage points and survive matches in PVP?

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, 3Sheets2_theWind said:

Shellback since 1979 on Westpac.

I've been playing the Karlsruhe along with the T4 USN Phoenix and the two are like night and day. The Phoenix glides like a surfboard on the waves, but the Karlsruhe is like sheet of plywood in mud. Still, I want to find a way to accurately and confidently play her in Random before moving to the Konigsberg. What's the best way to play this ship, rack up some damage points and survive matches in PVP?

My original feedback is outdated, but I believe the game economy is much more forgiving than it was when this post was originally created.  I suspect that you may have already found a solution based on your colorful observations.  Two things I learned from the Navy in real life (I.R.L.)...  

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid

ASSUME = [edited]out of you (U) and ME

Members
252 posts
1,781 battles

My main problem with the Karlsruhe is the lack of gun range. *WG please buff Karl's range to 13.1km or something.
And the modules are somewhat fragile.

Onto the pros:
The turning radius is actually smaller than Phoenix and Kuma though the rudder shift time is longer.
Karlsruhe also does in fact have solid armor for a tier 4 cruiser. (60mm plus turtleback)
The 15cm AP on Karlsruhe has very slightly better drag than Danae and better Alpha dmg. Though Danae has better velocity and better Krupp value. Both shell weights are similar.

Edited by Marine_Diesel

[STW]
Members
60 posts
13,953 battles
8 hours ago, Marine_Diesel said:

My main problem with the Karlsruhe is the lack of gun range. *WG please buff Karl's range to 13.1km or something.
And the modules are somewhat fragile.

The ballistics of the Karlsruhe allow it to island-camp much more easily than her bigger sisters which have flatter shell arcs.  For this reason, I tend to offset any range issue of the Karlsruhe by getting closer and using terrain for concealment while I fire on targets.  Nonetheless, I agree the range of the Karlsruhe "feels" limited, especially compared with examples like the Svietlana that can reach beyond 13km with AFT.

As for the module fragility, I think this is true for most any tier-IV cruiser.  The Karlsruhe is not unique in this matter.