Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tooboku

What would you give for a torpedo buff?

48 comments in this topic

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

Increase torp damage, but decrease range, and make the ship get lit when it dumps its load into the ocean.   That way you need to risk yourself some to fire your death streams into the water.  Been so many high tier games for me where the DD's just got unspotted all game because nobody can get close, and the torps are either eating up the damn screen and nobody moves into them, or they munch everything.

You're taking away the one defining characteristic of high tier Japanese destroyers. If they have shorter range, they become an inferior Gearing, if they get lit when launching them, they beomce cruisers, not to mention that they have at most like 15k HP. Japaense destroyers depend on stealth because they're the most vulnerable to the bunch and don't have the artillery to keep other ships away like either the VMF or USN destroyers have.

Sorry, I don't find Shimakaze UP but this is just a stupid suggestion. Play a Japanese Destroyer beyond Minekaze and you'll see the issues with what you just raised.

The only way they would implement this without completely making the ship worthless for dealing damage is by giving them the repair consumable, and making module damage extremely infrequent which would mean they'd be a bigger annoyance to get rid of than right now. Get your destroyers to spot them, it's not hard. I've spotted a bunch of Shimakazes for my party while running Fubuki and lived.

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,123 posts
7,027 battles

I've had all of my turrets destroyed on a Derzky, I've had all of my torpedo launchers destroyed on a Hatsuharu. That basically made me useless.

Wrong. You can stealth ram other ships through smoke. Enemies do spontaneous combustion if you touch hulls.

Just some small adjustments imo

• restore the full firing arc on the Minekaze
  • Better speed and maneuverability on the Mut & Hats
  • decrease slightly the torp detection range on Kag & Shimi

and I will be happy. Nothing too drastic or game changing.

US & Russian DDs are ok as is.

Can't complain about USN DDs either. The torp buff for them made them more fun to play against. VMF DDs are "do not engage" for me unless I have the opportunity to actually torp them or have reliable backup.

Minekaze is probably the reason everyone complains about DDs being OP. I actually find the Mut is pretty nimble. She's no Mini but she'll keep you safe. Hats... I don't know... I would like her to be more responsive too but the general slowness might be part of the mental prep for Bucky. Kag needs to be upgraded to tier X and moved to the Chinese fleet if it ever gets added to the game. Shimi could some bunny ears, some custom camo, and detachable guns.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
15,409 battles

You're taking away the one defining characteristic of high tier Japanese destroyers. If they have shorter range, they become an inferior Gearing, if they get lit when launching them, they beomce cruisers, not to mention that they have at most like 15k HP. Japaense destroyers depend on stealth because they're the most vulnerable to the bunch and don't have the artillery to keep other ships away like either the VMF or USN destroyers have.

Sorry, I don't find Shimakaze UP but this is just a stupid suggestion. Play a Japanese Destroyer beyond Minekaze and you'll see the issues with what you just raised.

The only way they would implement this without completely making the ship worthless for dealing damage is by giving them the repair consumable, and making module damage extremely infrequent which would mean they'd be a bigger annoyance to get rid of than right now. Get your destroyers to spot them, it's not hard. I've spotted a bunch of Shimakazes for my party while running Fubuki and lived.

Look here is my problem with these threads.

People can play these ships and excel in them they way they are, and people can play ships and suck in them.  Just like a CV (my stats included) people can suck in them, but then people can be good in them.  

If we tailor the game so the terrible players can succeed in any class the game is broken more than it is now. 

I watch my friends control games in Hats' and Fubuki's just the same as a Shima can.  You can't have EVERYTHING. If you want stealth where you can play smart and stay unspotted most of the game and smack people who don't even know you were there with torps, so be it, but that torp run can't immediately eliminate a ship with OP torps.  

If you think you need high powered torps then the person you're shooting at should at least know they were dropped so they have a chance.   

I had the Fubuki in CBT while I was learning, I didn't find that it was super difficult or UP when I had it.  I'm playing RU DDs now with 4km torps and a detection range of 10km, and I still manage to get torp hits and kills on ships, so I think the complaining about this kind of thing is utter nonsense.

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

Wrong. You can stealth ram other ships through smoke. Enemies do spontaneous combustion if you touch hulls.

That wouldn't make my statement wrong, ramming is still something but it's not a lot.  Especially in the higher tiers when nobody comes within 4km of a smoke cloud, given that your modules are destroyed you'd probably also be running at a low enough HP for secondaries to instantly slap you to the ocean floor.

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

If we tailor the game so the terrible players can succeed in any class the game is broken more than it is now. 

I had the Fubuki in CBT while I was learning, I didn't find that it was super difficult or UP when I had it.  I'm playing RU DDs now with 4km torps and a detection range of 10km, and I still manage to get torp hits and kills on ships, so I think the complaining about this kind of thing is utter nonsense.

You mean like BBs having reduced HE damage recieved, increased AP damage, and overall stronger armor, sure.

Every destroyer got nerfed when the game went OBT, almost every cruiser got nerfed in the 0.3 patches

Sorry, but no. Go away, I don't find any of the Japanese destroyers underpowered but again what you're suggesting is just borderline insane.

If you want to not make things focused on the game tailoring on players then they should just break AP again, I still got quite a healthy amount of citadels during that period. How about decreasing the turn speed for cruisers? Decreasing the AA for battleships? No?

I've dodged entire double Shimakaze volleys in a bloody Tirpitz, that thing with the slowest brick turning speed on the planet. When you say "Tailor the game to bad players" you need to sit down and think.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
15,409 battles

You mean like BBs having reduced HE damage recieved, increased AP damage, and overall stronger armor, sure.

Every destroyer got nerfed when the game went OBT, almost every cruiser got nerfed in the 0.3 patches

Sorry, but no. Go away, I don't find any of the Japanese destroyers underpowered but again what you're suggesting is just borderline insane.

If you want to not make things focused on the game tailoring on players then they should just break AP again.

The thing with a BB is it can't sneak up on you and smash you without you knowing it was coming, you see it, you know it's there, and if you chose to let it shoot you thats on you.  The Yamato may be able to one shot some cruisers but it's unlikely to do that even to a DD. 

Most CVs I've played an actual one run nuke of a ship is unlikely, outside a DD on a lucky cross drop which is even more difficult now with the slow torp speed. 

I've done 121K damage in the Kiev @ tier 7 DD with a 10km Detection range and a ridiculous amount of module damage when hit.  I'm not getting that damage from shooting the guns that do 300-600 dmg per hit, so if I can manage to get torp runs in and do that kind of damage in a tier 7 DD, imagine what is possible if I'm not spotted at all while doing torp runs.    I am also not the best DD player around, by far, there are others than are far, far better.

Being bad at something doesn't mean the ship sucks, it means you're bad and you need to learn how to play it better.  Complaining it needs a buff in the forums is just plain sour grapes.

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,123 posts
7,027 battles

Earlier tonight I had two games in my Iowa where the enemy team had 3 DDs with 15km range torps or higher.  There was no CV in either game.

The torps all over the map ruined the game for everyone playing except those sending the torps.  There were lots of rants and rages, and lots of "ZzzzZZzzZzz" in chat as the area denial and sinking were stronk in those games.

Increase torp damage, but decrease range, and make the ship get lit when it dumps its load into the ocean.   That way you need to risk yourself some to fire your death streams into the water.  Been so many high tier games for me where the DD's just got unspotted all game because nobody can get close, and the torps are either eating up the damn screen and nobody moves into them, or they munch everything.

FYI, One Shimakaze tonight had over 3000XP BASE in the game on the list.

Yeah, they are UP.

C'mon folks.

So I'm just going to say this... IJN DDs skippers who graduate past Minekaze are the reason people complain about DDs. It's not the actual ship itself. I actually celebrate silently to myself if I ever get sunk by another IJN DD. It's always a hard earned kill and knowing the grind, I could never say it was luck or that the ship was OP. The world changes at tier VI and only the strong survive is what I'm finding. Keep nerfing them if you want but they'll still keep kicking your asses.

... and if Bucky is OP, I don't know why they keep dying when I spot them in my Hats. Shimi has died both games I've faced her in. A good DD will spot them and keep them busy so they can't spread the pleague of tubes.

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

Being bad at something doesn't mean the ship sucks, it means you're bad and you need to learn how to play it better.  Complaining it needs a buff in the forums is just plain sour grapes.

The same goes to the other side, being bad at something doesn't mean the ship that killed you is OP, it doesn't mean that it deserves nerfs.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
15,409 battles

The same goes to the other side, being bad at something doesn't mean the ship that killed you is OP, it doesn't mean that it deserves nerfs.

I'm not calling for nerfs on anything. Nerfs are bad for this game.  I was fighting CV nerfs for months.

I only posted here because someone was calling for a buff on something that doesn't need it, and asking if it was getting better torps what should it lose. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,182 battles

one of the issue I have with mutsuki is that the stock torp is lot worse than minekaze stock torp.   lower range and slower load time.   it should be at least as good as stock minekaze.     if mutsuki had old minekaze torps and shoot angle, I would be happy to move up.   In general though,  DD takes special person to excell.    and they do really well once they master it.  

I am enjoying the Gnevny now.   my DD playing has improved a lot due to the experience I've gained.   having gun skill, even in minekaze helps. 

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,704 posts
2,276 battles

7 dollars in Trident Layers. 

Really? that much? I would give torpedo's 1 damage.............

(Ok slightly buiest battleship player here..........)

• Cool 1

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,413 battles

float planes and planes in general perma spotting torps sucks and isnt even remotely balanced.

Your ship doesnt stay lit when you go back into cover does it?  Fix that and id call it a day.

Edited by Skraeling

Members
344 posts
3,143 battles

You must have had a blast of a game. 

Maybe next time, they should just give destroyers 1000 xp for joining the battle.

it's was interesting match whole team wanted to go down middle channel and we did.

Banned
3,836 posts

I'm not the first to say this and I won't be the last to say this but let's face it, you don't get XP for area control if you don't hit anything. There is no stat for assists in kills. If you don't learn how to use your guns, you'll pretty much never get any kills. I don't think anyone complains when I steal kills because they get a lot of help from my torpedoes and you know... I always end up having to kill the enemy DD myself because no one can hit them. For the record, I actually think the IJN DDs need a gun buff since they got a torp nerf, USN DDs got a torp buff, and the VMF DDs just went Konami code on everyone but back to the common complaint... WG seems to have an inability to acknowledge that oxygen torpedoes were as stealthy as a fart when you first meet your girlfriend's parents.

We can't just give that to IJN DDs without taking something away though. That wouldn't be fair. The question is: if you did want stealthier torpedoes, what kind handicap would you accept for them?

On Hatsuharu, I might give up some gun damage and increase the chance for detonation. I mean, it's nice that your ship isn't completely made out of glass anymore but if people see you, you're pretty much dead anyway and while I do like having that second chance to get back in the game, you're usually in that position of being spotted because the cruisers are all hanging out in the back with the battleships and everyone is too chicken to cap... and well... that probably means your team is going to lose anyway so you might as well make it a quick death. Expensive as hell but quick. If you had stealthier torpedoes, you might actually score yourself a decent consolation prize if the rest of your team can't seem to hit the side of a barn or won't step up to help you deal with the enemy DD when you spot it.

tumblr_n76iswlzoZ1tzqospo1_500.jpg

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,413 battles

float planes and planes in general perma spotting torps sucks and isnt even remotely balanced.

Your ship doesnt stay lit when you go back into cover does it?  Fix that and id call it a day.

worth reposting....

Beta Testers
1,156 posts

worth reposting....

Not to mention, how the HELL do planes spot a 2 ton torpedo from several kilometers away, but they can't see the 3,000 ton ship that launched them until they're directly above it?!?

Members
95 posts
2,415 battles

Hmm, tell you what:

When you have limited ammo for your torps. (Kind of ridiculous that you can launch a quarter your displacement weight in torpedoes over the course of the game.)

When Main Battery, and Secondary guns can be used to do anti-torpedo work. (14" Inch HE shell would detonate a spread pretty hardcore)

When getting hit with a big *** AP plunging fire overpenn  (Battleship), you get a chance of flooding. (BB did just put a 1ton+ shell through your boat..)

When your submarine (DD) can get spotted at more than 4-5km

When your torpedo laden turrets (that have NO armor) get hit by an HE shell, the torpedoes explode.

THEN

We can start talking about adding some "realistic" stealth to your torpedoes.  (Btw: American Torps got a buff so that they would be useful at all. They are no where NEAR Jap torpedoes until T10 DD...  and American cruisers don't get Torpedoes past Tier 5)

2 Worst things you can see in a high tier game as a BB:

Midway/Hakuryu

Shimigoddamnedkaze.

Edited by Livewyr7
  • Cool 1

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,413 battles

Hmm, tell you what:

When you have limited ammo for your torps. (Kind of ridiculous that you can launch a quarter your displacement weight in torpedoes over the course of the game.)

When Main Battery, and Secondary guns can be used to do anti-torpedo work. (14" Inch HE shell would detonate a spread pretty hardcore)

Not sure how I feel about this idea.

When getting hit with a big *** AP plunging fire overpenn  (Battleship), you get a chance of flooding. (BB did just put a 1ton+ shell through your boat..)

wouldnt happen even in real life... sorry. Its a round hole nothing more and ships are rather big a single hole isnt a huge deal easily patched.  hitting vital stuff is what mattered

When your submarine (DD) can get spotted at more than 4-5km

Cant do this unless you greatly increase hp or remove how badly HE demolishes a dd

When your torpedo laden turrets (that have NO armor) get hit by an HE shell, the torpedoes explode.

They already have no armor...detonations are much more common on DD anyway it feels like. So then can we sink you with a single torp? you know becuase "realism"

yeah....

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
497 posts
31,781 battles

GearaDoga, o7, its geting to the point where you can tell if your going to survive and or win or lose the battle at the very start of the fight. haha, If I get sunk at the very start of the battle we normally if not all ways win. if the controls seem sluggish, if the boat wont turn as fast as normal, if the enemy appear to fast, coming from 13km then appearing at 9 or 6km. from you its a given your going to sink, haha , well that's how I see it. thank for letting me post this . see you on the high seas, have fun and good hunting .

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

Easiest buff they can give all DDs is:

Remove torpedo perma spots.

Reduce spotting distance or torpedoes.

Spotting torpedoes from a mile away kinda makes torpedoes pointless. They need travel over 2 minutes to make it to a target, which the DD has to predict any possible changes in course, just so they can be lit and the enemy simply turns away while slowing down for a complete miss. If BBs had real life accuracy, you'd so people posting things like this lol

This is a game that's meant to be fun. Missing torpedoes, which get really expensive as you tier up due to broken mechanics/whiney players, is not fun.

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,123 posts
7,027 battles

LOL!!!!

First game after installing the patch. First hit of first game after installing said patch. I got detonated by a Fubuki using HE.

I could have sworn I still had a few dozen Juliet Charlie in the inventory.

Very funny. Hahahahahaha!  :teethhappy:
w9NsjLp.jpg

A1yQFx1.jpg

Edited by tooboku

Sign in to follow this