You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
boomer3000

Sinking Rate

Carnage Of Battles  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Think of carnage?

• I love seeing the mass destruction after a battle!
    • Its just plain stupid.

38 comments in this topic

Members
24 posts
73 battles

This is really strictly visual but, How long will it take a ship  to sink? i mean I've been on the USS Lexington and man, every door is water-tight. In my opinion a ship would take a very long time to "go under". Ive never seen a question that has asked this before either. Now, i dont know about you, but one thing i love about Naval Battles was the mass carnage left over of totaled ships sinking. Anyone know anything?

Members
24 posts
73 battles

In my opinion the sinking rate should be similar to the game Battlestations: Pacific, which has a slow, but not too slow, sinking rate.

Alpha Tester
4,440 posts

I'm sure it has already been answered in the FAQ, but don't trust me on that.  If my memory serves me well, in some cases, it could take more than a minute.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Alpha Tester
2,641 posts
14,047 battles

That all depends on the type of damage taken. Some ships sank quickly as they suffered massive damage and flooded quickly, or suffered a catastrophic explosion (magazine) that seriously degraded the integrity of the ship. Others sank slowly, as water slowly overcame the ships ability to remove it and remain buoyant. You should see both of those scenarios here.

Members
24 posts
73 battles

View PostAriecho, on 08 October 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I'm sure it has already been answered in the FAQ, but don't trust me on that.  If my memory serves me well, in some cases, it could take more than a minute.
I tried looking for it, but no luck. with my luck, i probably skipped over it.

Members
24 posts
73 battles

View Postpaladin0, on 08 October 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

That all depends on the type of damage taken. Some ships sank quickly as they suffered massive damage and flooded quickly, or suffered a catastrophic explosion (magazine) that seriously degraded the integrity of the ship. Others sank slowly, as water slowly overcame the ships ability to remove it and remain buoyant. You should see both of those scenarios here.

Here i also agree; it does depend on how the ship was sunk. if it were over-whelmed by torpedoes, then it would slowly sink until the water level went all the way through the ship. However, if a ship (i.e: a battleship) where to just pound the crap out of a destroyer, then i just might sink a little faster xD

Alpha Tester
3,187 posts
58 battles

Try the "Damage - Flooding and Sinking" page.  :)

The answer is up to 1 minute.  :)

0 posts

(+1)  Ari is correct.  Moreover, I think the sinking rate is so you can snap a few screenies of your glorious warship a flames, stricken, listing, and savior the moment of your demise, as your team's last bastion of hope dips below the ocean surface.   :trollface:

View PostAriecho, on 08 October 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

[STURM]
Alpha Tester
2,216 posts
22,491 battles

View Postt42592, on 08 October 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

(+1)  Ari is correct.  Moreover, I think the sinking rate is so you can snap a few screenies of your glorious warship a flames, stricken, listing, and savior the moment of your demise, as your team's last bastion of hope dips below the ocean surface.   :trollface:

LOL :tongue:

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

View Postboomer3000, on 08 October 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

This is really strictly visual but, How long will it take a ship  to sink? i mean I've been on the USS Lexington and man, every door is water-tight. In my opinion a ship would take a very long time to "go under". Ive never seen a question that has asked this before either. Now, i dont know about you, but one thing i love about Naval Battles was the mass carnage left over of totaled ships sinking. Anyone know anything?
Depends on how may holes, where said holes are, and the extent of the ships sub-compartmentalisation

0 posts

I would be surprise how many people here know what that is, without using Google to look it up.

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
535 battles

They should ALL know what it is, I have posted the details in the Speak Like a Sailor thread...  Do we have folks running around that at dink in quals?  If so we shall have them flogged round the fleet, keelhauled, marooned, and then we'll court martial them for desertion!   :trollface:

Excerpt from Kipling's "Soldier an' Sailor Too"

To take your chance in the thick of a rush, with firing all about,

Is nothing so bad when you’ve cover to ’and, an’ leave an’ likin’ to shout;

But to stand an’ be still to the Birken’ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew,

An’ they done it, the Jollies—’Er Majesty’s Jollies—soldier an’ sailor too!

Their work was done when it ’adn’t begun; they was younger nor me an’ you;

Their choice it was plain between drownin’ in ’eaps an’ bein’ mopped by the screw,

So they stood an’ was still to the Birken’ead drill, soldier an’ sailor too!

0 posts

That's what I like about you sailors.  You eat your own.  No one goes hungry on this ship!   :trollface:  Or, on this lifeboat, save it be the case.

Edited by t42592

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
535 battles

Eat our own?  It does happen...

The Essex and Mignonette come to mind.

0 posts

We landlubbers don't have those issues, unless our military cannot navigate out of a pond full of piranha, we don't ressort to such barbarian ways.  We'll eat anything else, mind you!  LOLOL!!!  Survival training in the south was miserable, considering what was on the menu--anything!

Edited by t42592

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
535 battles

Opossum on a half shell is ok, but greasy...  As is standard opossum.  Squirrel is good, as are their brains when scrambled with eggs.  Not a big fan of the pickled pigs feet and such however.  Then again I am from the South and live in the South.  What can really jack your survival training up down here is that YOU can be on the menu, the gators got to eat too after all.

Also, you land folk are just as bad...Donner Party anyone?

0 posts

My two weeks of survival training in the south, at the behest of Warrant Officer training, was in a word, awful.  The gators were the least of my worries, as if they had appeared, they would have been on the menu!!!

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
535 battles

So what was your greatest concern?  Snakes, spiders, or moonshiners?

0 posts

It was finding a high dry place to sleep, or get out of water, and rain for that matter.  The SERE course at Rucker is exhaustive, and depending on when a candidate attended, while you certainly could graduate during the winter phases, I endured a summer phase in grueling temperatures, torrent rains, and mosquitoes so big, I still have nightmares about that experience.

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
535 battles

Pfft.  Rucker has nothing on my neck of the woods.  It is only about 40 miles from me, but unlike Rucker the wild lands around my area have two footed predators as well as the 4, 6, 8, and more legged variety.  I do wish they still did the scout jamboree out there though, they's stick us out in the middle of no where on base and if you even wanted to find a port-a-john you needed a compass, a map, and a trail of bread crumbs!  Strangely they insisted that we use the portable facilities instead of digging cat holes or building proper latrines...never made a bit of sense to me.

0 posts

Rucker is a cake walk compared to JOTC (ARSOUTH).  Before OJC to oust Noriega, this would be one of those pinnacle training exercise areas I would rather never have experienced.

[PNP]
[PNP]
Alpha Tester
1,033 posts
3,578 battles

looks like you two decided to fill the forum up with your arguing :P

Members
4 posts

There was a ship sunk during WW2 I think, and the screams of the crew from inside could still be heard for a few days, meaning they were really watertight. I agree that it would take a while for a ship to sink, depending on where you hit it.