Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lion_666

Need some pointers with Amagi

13 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
15 posts
21,572 battles

Hello I am still a relative new BB driver. Grinded my way to the Colorado and Amagi recently. I would say my damage in my previous BBs are decent but I am getting stomped on everytime I played my Amagi....

To clarify I understand the comcept of teamwork, caps, winning the gane. The problem it seems is everytime we engage the enemy fleet I get taken out so fast and most of the time I am not the tip of the spear. I have tried angling better but nothing seems to stop me from taking 10-15k from enemy BBs. Also my damage output is just sad....

Any advise from experienced BB drivers is much appreciated

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

Check out the battleships sub-forum, you'll find plenty of existing threads about any ship you want.  Here and here are good starters.

[CWGC]
Members
848 posts
2,977 battles

grinding your way to Amagi and Colorado should put some good experience captaining BB's under your belt. Im about to get the Amagi myself and just made a post like this the other day, the resounding advice was NEVER ever show your broadside (which im sure is obvious for you) and use those accurate guns to mash the enemy! cant wait to get mine i should have it tonight!

Edited by Summon3r

[TNG]
Members
15 posts
21,572 battles

Thanks mesrith and others. After reading the post from the lonks you guys posted I have a much better understanding of the ship. Just curious how mich damage ahould i been doing? Currently I am only doing about 40k ish. And is C hull worth it with the range upgrade?

Beta Testers
1,313 posts
12,709 battles

Amagi is a sniping BC. It's the softest of the 3 tier 8 BB's, but certainly not the least effective. Not nearly as soft as the Kongo is relative to other BB's in it's tier. Never, EVER give a broadside to another BB or high tier cruiser you know is shooting AP, and constantly keep twisting to keep an angle at your opponent. I found by hard angling I could bounce a lot of shots by NCs, Tirpitz and Iowas, and dish out more hits. Gun layout leads to being a strong ship if chased by over zealous Tirpitz drivers. Again, keep twisting back and forth.

With the accuracy module the Amagi is a darn good sniper, albeit with rather low range. In my Mogami I'm most fearful of Amagi's for Citadels in Tier 8 and lower.

Amagi gets much harder MM than the Nagato, and I think that's what stings a lot of people. In my Nagato I rarely saw T9 and was top tier half the time. The Amagi is going to see a lot of Tirpitz, and the occasional Iowa, Midway and Yamato. Welcome to the power curve.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Thanks mesrith and others. After reading the post from the lonks you guys posted I have a much better understanding of the ship. Just curious how mich damage ahould i been doing? Currently I am only doing about 40k ish. And is C hull worth it with the range upgrade?

I think the range and C upgrades are worth it. Avg dmg in Amagi is 62k, tops in tier 8 bbs, so dont worry you'll improv. Shes definitely mid range and above sniper, and is a superb cruiser killer. I never learned to play her well, so wont offer more.

Beta Testers
822 posts
2,258 battles

Amagi has super soft sides.  No, let me amend that.  It has no armor.  At all.  Take a hit from the broadside and kiss a huge portion of your hp goodbye.  Just the facts, you've got to get used to it and move on.  Obviously, never show your broadside to the enemy if you can help it.  You'll need to learn to change your speed and course regualrly.  Make small turns to port and starboard, double back, whatever it takes to not be an easy, and above all, predictable target for the enemy.

Now, the Amagi's guns are good, there's no doubt there.  They're accurate and do good damage.  For reference I think the bar for Amagi doing good is around 60k damage. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  Generally you want to fire on the easiest target, the one that's showing you a broadside and so on.  Amagi's range is 18 km or so, which probably sounds good when you first hear it, but in practice isn't.  It's a long range, but most of what you'll ave is going to have longer, so get used to seeing allies sailing along side you taking shots you can't, and being fired at from outside your range to return fire.  The difference isn't huge, only a few km, but it's enough you will notice.  It's not crippling, just an annoyance.  The trick is to use your accuracy and all those guns to make it count when you do get shots off.  Volleys of 10k aren't that hard to get, and you don't exactly need a lot to hit that 60k bar.

Like people have said, the Amagi is a battle cruiser, not a pure battleship.  Don't think it's a Colorado that can get in close and mix it up.  In a few situations you can and will have to, but as a rule you want to be a little further out.  And sometimes, when you're in those tier 10 matches you just have to be patient and an opportunist.  Take the cheap pot shots and get out of there, don't push a fight against the tier 10s and think you'll win.  That said, I have gone against an Iowa in my Amagi and won.  It helps if the enemy is stupid and shows you their broadside a lot.  But if it looks like a losing fight or an enemy you can't handle don't be afraid to retreat.  Amagi has three rear facing guns, that can make for a nice fighting retreat.

[-BMV-]
Members
763 posts
5,344 battles

In an Amagi imo you shouldn't strive to be the tip of the spear. You should be the skirmisher that focuses on hit and runs. The armor of an Amagi just doesn't match up well against a North Carolina or Tirpitz. Be very careful in your approaches to battle. I can't count how many times I've wrecked Amagis who make a turn at the wrong time and expose their weak armor. Situational awareness is key to playing her well.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

Amagi's armor is fine when angled, there's no need to play it radically different. If you can play the Kongo you can play the Amagi.

Sign in to follow this