Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Joe7Six

Izyaslav vs Gnevny vs Ognevoi

16 comments in this topic

Members
260 posts
3,141 battles

I'm currently grinding through the Gnevny right now and am a little unimpressed with it. I honestly loved the Izyaslav and when I got a chance to test the Ognevoi during the sea trial, I enjoyed it too. 

I had some good games in the Izyaslav. Having single mounted turrets helped a lot and the rotation was good as well as the rudder shift time. I heard that the Russian DD's needed to be treated like cruisers and I'm experiencing that now with the Gnevny. The rudder shift and turret rotation is much slower. The turret rotation gets better with the Ognevoi I believe. Going from the Izyaslav to Gnevny is a totally different world. 

Has anyone else had a bad experience with the Gnevny? I'm hoping it'll grow on me eventually with some upgrades. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

yeah, it feels a bit weak to me too.

The main issue I have with it, is that it's not very agile, even though the engagement distances you need to be at with it call for agility.

That and the torps, even if all 6 of them hit, can't sink BBs, unless they are under 75% health. And then there's that loooong torp reload that is out of the norm with T5 ships.

Still, I prefer this over Nicholas.

[BLNCE]
Members
2,293 posts
7,561 battles

If your issue is with the turret traverse I have a minor suggestion. When firing only make minor course adjustments to avoid fire not the regular constant turning that is normal in other dds. It makes you a little bit easier to hit but you are firing at every reload - which is key. Also when fighting other dd's - always create distance - don't close it. The farther away you are the less painful the traverse is. Hope that helps - I am absolutely loving this boat.

• Cool 1

Members
260 posts
3,141 battles

If your issue is with the turret traverse I have a minor suggestion. When firing only make minor course adjustments to avoid fire not the regular constant turning that is normal in other dds. It makes you a little bit easier to hit but you are firing at every reload - which is key. Also when fighting other dd's - always create distance - don't close it. The farther away you are the less painful the traverse is. Hope that helps - I am absolutely loving this boat.

Thanks! I will try that for sure. Engaging other DD's are what I like to do first. I may have to avoid the close quarters until I get it figured out.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,833 battles

I think you should write a guide with how to videos on how to play this DD.  I just looked at your stats on it and my eyes bulged out.

Granted I am not the best DD player as I haven't focused on it until now, but this ship owns me. I cannot have reasonable games in it at all, and to see your avg dmg of 50K per game is making me realize more I have lots to learn.

Kudo's to you, its obviously your wheel house ship, Im lucky to do 20K dmg in this thing.

Members
4,886 posts

i saw once how an enemy gnevny got 'die hard' achievement ramming our dd (:

That and the torps, even if all 6 of them hit, can't sink BBs, unless they are under 75% health.

gnevny has the same torp damage as minekaze (same number of torp launchers too) and much better than nicholas (same number of torps in salvo, but nic can turn and shoot the second board too); meantime izy's torps are just pitiful

[RUSS]
Members
548 posts
4,006 battles

I had Gnevy and you just have to suffer through it. Ognevoy is better. I managed through it with increased reload and increased turret rotation and just fight from maximum distance, shoot, wiggle, shoot, wiggle, but even then the agility sucks and you can't get away from cruiser fire if they decide to whoop on you.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
990 posts
9,588 battles

Just got the Ognevoi last night, and the first two battles were rough affairs. A combination of two horribad teams and no captains skills made for no kills and limited damage. I am loving the turret traverse, though. That was my biggest gripe on the Gnevny. I think once my captain is retrained so I have my range, reload and turret traverse back, and all the modules are researched I will like this ship a heck of a lot more. 

[RUSS]
Members
548 posts
4,006 battles

once u get your cap's skills u be whooping [edited], trust me.

Members
707 posts
6,035 battles

Just got my Gnevny... but gotta work in the AM so time for bed :(

Will take it out for a spin tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the speed after being stuck at 32 kts for what seems like forever.

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,514 battles

I am surprised when I look at my stats they are only slightly worse then the Gremyashchy which is about the same Destroyer except torpedo range. I am only doing 1K more damage on average per battle with the Gremashchy then the Gnevny. I figured it would be much worse but I do get in some good torpedo runs with the Gnevny but i have to be much more careful on how I execute them.

Members
260 posts
3,141 battles

I'm slowly getting it figured out, but I'm not able to get some of this awesome damage others are getting. As soon as I'm spotted, I get targeted by 3 or more ships. Guess I can be an evasion tank. Lol

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I'm slowly getting it figured out, but I'm not able to get some of this awesome damage others are getting. As soon as I'm spotted, I get targeted by 3 or more ships. Guess I can be an evasion tank. Lol

stick with a group and use your smoke when you start to get focus fired.

If you did it right, your team will be spotting the enemy ships for you, so you can shoot out of your own smoke.

I suggest going 1/4 and full reverse inside the smoke you laid down.

When you see your smoke recharge time go down to 2:45, that's when your smoke dissipates and you become visible again.

I suggest not doing this against T4 or higher cruisers inside of 7km, because they pack sonar and will spot you through smoke.

Although, if the enemy ship decides he wants to rush your smoke, lay down the fire and shoot torps to punish him for it.

[AOWAR]
[AOWAR]
Members
201 posts
5,773 battles

I just cant seem to do more than 526 dmg per salvo. 

Sign in to follow this