You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Command0Dude

Straight is aweful

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
182 posts
1,425 battles

First of all, after the s#@!storm that was Hotspot due to complaints about separating team spawn location, WHY would you make another map that did the same thing?

Second of all, why the hell would you make a non tier 1 map where both teams basically start right in each other's faces and there's basically nowhere to maneuver. Sure you can go forward, and get creamed with basically no ability to retreat. Or, you can leave your team to die and go into the tactically useless passes behind each spawn.

Furthermore, whichever team controls the middle pass basically wins the game, since going around (again) basically puts you out of the game for like...4-5 minutes.

I hate this map. More than anything. At least you could go places on Hotspot.

Edited by Command0Dude

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Turn the spawns 90 degrees, make it north vs south. Suddenly a much better map.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

The biggest issue is lack of cover. Battleships can basically shoot anything while cruisers and destroyers have nothing to hide behind in the North and South Area. It's a turkey shoot for anything with short range due to the open water.

By turning these spawns 90 degrees you give the two fleets some cover to fight amongst while having a large open area in the middle for the battleships to play in.

Members
208 posts
1,408 battles

See then the complaint would be that the map is now a DD paradise. All those islands and small channels to ambush ships in. Even the middle slot isn't all that big. Not that I would complain if they made the map that way. I play plenty of DDs.

Beta Testers
5 posts
1,160 battles

Straight is my favorite map! I play mostly BBs however and I could see how playing as a CA or DD on it would be frustrating.

Beta Testers
182 posts
1,425 battles

Turn the spawns 90 degrees, make it north vs south. Suddenly a much better map.

PLEASE.

See then the complaint would be that the map is now a DD paradise. All those islands and small channels to ambush ships in. Even the middle slot isn't all that big. Not that I would complain if they made the map that way. I play plenty of DDs.

No it wouldn't. Even if DDs can guard the choke points (and lets be real, who's going to do that on all 3 for the whole match?) the other team can just refuse to go into them thereby rendering DDs impotent to attack. Hell, Solomon Islands is FAR more narrow in its choke points and you don't see anyone complaining.

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

My least favorite map by far. I agree with all the complaints but I think the solution needs to be different. The cross spawn issue sucks as it is but if caps ran 90 degrees that would make it better. The only issue with that really is that the map is way too small as it is. Simple make it bigger by 50% or so. Then cross spawn would be a none issue. Another feature that would make it fun would be not being able to see across the  north south dimizer line until someone crosses it, then everyone can see. nobody would know if their other team mates were in the quadrant ahead or to the side of them for a minute or two. that would really change the risk/reward initial play not unlike ocean which is a really [edited]map.

I think the biggest problem is that their are way too few maps overall. It get's boring fast and they are only going to lose customers due to that. This is so easy to correct as well. Copy and past some islands, add some snow, villages, trees etc, scale some up or down. Who is going to notice for one and even care. WG can't argue about the clients caring considering how poorly they address many concerns like cheating etc. They don't even have a feature to report cheating for christs sake.

The range on some of the boats is so extreme half the maps are irrelevant to actual driving of the boat on one side or the other.

Lastly, there is easily solutions that would change game play if for no other reason than some variety to keep interest up. Add an island or three swap some groups of islands around for eg. Every month they could change it up a bit and some of the changes will be big hits and can be kept in the overall rotation.

I swap ships to play quite a bit and on far too many nights I will end up on the same map upwards of ten times and as of late three or four times in succession.  Enough is enough with this crap.

[TIKI_]
Beta Testers
504 posts
6,457 battles

Straight is one of my favorite maps.  Half the team plays defense and the other half plays offense.  Strategically, it's one of the better maps, as you can't just lemming train.  You HAVE to fight on your half of the map . . .

Members
260 posts
3,141 battles

It's my least favorite also. Typically one side of the split team is overpowered and the other side is underpowered. And from most of the games I've played on Strait, one side usually tries to meet up with the other side and leaves one or two behind.

I like the idea of the teams spawning north and south. It seems like it would be better and DD's would be more effective. DD's controlling the east and west passages would force larger ships to use the center until one team controlled one of those side passages.

Beta Testers
11,671 posts

Also one of my least favorite maps.  Players are abandoning one side to go to the other, then go into circles bombarding that side.  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

If they just make it north vs south, its just another Two Brothers map, except people will sit outside the middle area and bombard each other from a distance while time runs down

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

My only gripe with Strait is that the gamma seems to be turned up too damn high!  I don't mind a bright and sunny map now and then, but this one is excessive and makes the colors appear washed-out.  I know this isn't caused by my monitor settings, as others have complained about it as well.  Hot Spot, another bright map, looks fine by comparison.

I must be one of the few who don't mind split spawns and look at them as an interesting tactical challenge.  The only frustration they cause is when I spawn on the opposite sides from my division mates and have to choose between continuing forward without guaranteed support or wasting time trying to join up with them.  Luckily it sounds like WG has finally listened to this common complaint, as evidenced by their plans to fix division spawns in 0.5.1

Beta Testers
425 posts
19,152 battles

For every map, there exists someone that loves it, and someone that hates it.

I generally find the people that love it do well on it, and those that hate it have trouble with it.  Go figure.

Me?  I just play them, and figure out what works.

[NSEW]
Alpha Tester
341 posts
6,882 battles

I just hate the "standard" domination version where the B North spawn always has all but 2 ships head south start while those remaining 2 ships must defend from the onslaught of A Northern Spawned who go straight To B.

Members
1,211 posts
4,339 battles

The biggest issue is lack of cover. Battleships can basically shoot anything while cruisers and destroyers have nothing to hide behind in the North and South Area. It's a turkey shoot for anything with short range due to the open water.

Does that depend on tier?  I'm not finding it to be a big problem around tier 4/5.  It's more interesting when the split is diagonal.

Beta Testers
804 posts
696 battles

I also hate this map. But my grudge is against the spawn match ups. I believe that the match ups are highly unfair and detrimental. I've found that usually at one spawn, the line up consists of 1 or, if the friendly team is lucky, 2 BBs, about 2-3 cruisers and a couple DDs. The opposing enemy spawn usually has 2-3 BBs, 3-5 cruisers and 2-3 or more DDs. The reverse is true for the spawns on the other side of the map. This is why I hate playing on Strait. The match ups are so screwed up, in my opinion, that one side always gets crushed while inflicting a limited amount of damage to the opposing enemy ships. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I also hate this map. But my grudge is against the spawn match ups. I believe that the match ups are highly unfair and detrimental. I've found that usually at one spawn, the line up consists of 1 or, if the friendly team is lucky, 2 BBs, about 2-3 cruisers and a couple DDs. The opposing enemy spawn usually has 2-3 BBs, 3-5 cruisers and 2-3 or more DDs. The reverse is true for the spawns on the other side of the map. This is why I hate playing on Strait. The match ups are so screwed up, in my opinion, that's while one side always gets crushed while inflicting a limited amount of damage to the opposing enemy ships. 

Yeah, if the spawns are going to be split, then at least make them fair splits, not this 9vs3 on one side [edited].

Beta Testers
144 posts
1,982 battles

My only gripe with Strait is that the gamma seems to be turned up too damn high!  I don't mind a bright and sunny map now and then, but this one is excessive and makes the colors appear washed-out.  I know this isn't caused by my monitor settings, as others have complained about it as well.  Hot Spot, another bright map, looks fine by comparison.

I totally agree. If any WG employees ever quietly take notes - please add this to the map edit section of future patch notes. I turn my gamma way down and it's still blurry from the excessive gamma that was used in creating the Strait map.

I don't mind the map but again I agree it's frustrating to see those players who sail to other allied side, leaving your cap defended by two poor souls...solution? No idea...

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,144 posts
22,155 battles

It's my least favorite also. Typically one side of the split team is overpowered and the other side is underpowered. And from most of the games I've played on Strait, one side usually tries to meet up with the other side and leaves one or two behind.

I like the idea of the teams spawning north and south. It seems like it would be better and DD's would be more effective. DD's controlling the east and west passages would force larger ships to use the center until one team controlled one of those side passages.

I don't mind the map but know what you mean about players getting left behind.  One game I remember the plan was announced to meet up with the allied force in their spawn.  Everyone sailed away full steam leaving a New York behind.  Partly it was the New Yorks fault because he started sailing the wrong way, but didn't get too far before he realized he was not following the plan and got headed in the correct direction.  I was in a cruiser so was able to swing down to pick him up.  I was surprised at how quickly the enemy DDs, cruisers, and fast battleships started bearing down on the New York putting him under focus fire. I was able to provide some cover fire and distraction to the enemy.  We were both able to escape into the channel somewhat battered.  Meanehile our CV was parked in the channel near the entrance but wasn't moving out even though half of the enemy fleet was coming.  The channel was narrow at that point and the 3 ships traded paint squeezing through.  So the New York was finally safe and able to join the rest of the fleet but I had to swing around now when there was room to turn and give the CV some cover.  I got back down to him in the channel  and then he finally started to reposition but only after he started taking enemy fire.  So I took more damage covering his escape attempt.  Got myself turned around again to head back towards our fleet and more cover. I overtook the CV at the exit of the channel and turned full rudder behind the nearest cover, but by that point the CV was under heavy fire especially since I was no longer a viable target for the enemy and was sunk.  I looked to the chatbox and noticed that at some point that CV had whined that I had abandoned him.  I managed to continue on for most of the rest of the battle. It ended up being a close game, and the New York I had helped to escape was pivotal in securing the victory for our team during the endgame.