Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MartyStouffer

The Hipper's quirky guns

14 comments in this topic

[WLDAM]
Members
108 posts
12,208 battles

Admiral Hipper's #2 and #3 turret's arcs are considerably altered by the nearby AA gun emplacements.  You can see this in the image below, where the #2 gun will not fire.  At longer ranges with the same targeting angle, the #2 gun will fire because it's barrels have been elevated enough to clear the AA emplacement.  Turret #3 suffers the same firing arc reductions when aiming forward.  

The arc is limited in this way out to around 10-13 km, which I feel is fairly significant.

Gy4ufBF.jpg

I am not sure if this is a "feature" of the ship or a slight bug.  There are occasions however when missing 25% of your firepower - when only moderately angled - is certainly detrimental.

A fair warning for anyone looking to progress up the KM cruiser line.

0 posts

Had similar issues on the New York's Turrets, they limit the turret rotation so that the Model won't clip through, because it looks strange, though I'm sure most won't mind... 

Edited by Fog_Battleship_Roma

Beta Testers
389 posts
7,230 battles

Wyoming has similar issues with the guns being blocked by boats on the side.

[WLDAM]
Members
108 posts
12,208 battles

Interesting about the New York and Wyoming, I never noticed although I played through both ships.

Under the right circumstances I believe the Amagi's #3 turret can fire through #4 though.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Ah so that's why that gun isn't working...

[WLDAM]
Members
108 posts
12,208 battles

This isn't effecting how the ships fire or the accuracy is it?

It affects how many guns you can put on target under 13km.

It can be painful when getting into a tight duel to expect eight shells but only get 6.

Edited by MartyStouffer

Beta Testers
389 posts
7,230 battles

Interesting about the New York and Wyoming, I never noticed although I played through both ships.

Under the right circumstances I believe the Amagi's #3 turret can fire through #4 though.

The Wyoming's hull upgrade removes the problem, but it persists on the Arkansas since it stays in the original hull.

[-K-]
Members
484 posts
5,728 battles

Doesn't the NC also have a bad rear turret because of AA? I'm not sure if that's historical or just WG though. 

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

The Wyoming's hull upgrade removes the problem, but it persists on the Arkansas since it stays in the original hull.

The whaleboats are on the Arkansas because not having AA isn't enough of a nerf. :hiding:

Beta Testers
389 posts
7,230 battles

If I remember correctly its also possible to block one of the Furutaka's guns because of the odd angle that the catapult is at.

0 posts

This isn't effecting how the ships fire or the accuracy is it?

It limits the Turning Arc's of some turrets by a considerable amount, and is noticeable in battle. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

If I remember correctly its also possible to block one of the Furutaka's guns because of the odd angle that the catapult is at.

stowage of seaplanes, so that they aren't destroyed by the muzzle blast, and catapults to launch them were an ongoing issue with many ship designs at the time.

At one extreme solution, you get the Tone-class, but other ships were able to mount them in the middle.

[NO2BB]
[NO2BB]
Beta Testers
541 posts
11,983 battles

I've also noticed, that in extremely close range engagements (<3km) Yamato's 2nd turret wont fire at all, which someone in-game told me was because it can't depress down enough. I haven't had this problem with any other ship and it really sucks because you need every shot you can get at those ranges.

Sign in to follow this