Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
suleiman71

Questions about USN BBs and IJN DDs: how2play them

8 comments in this topic

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

So I feel like having another go at USN BBs, and maybe IJN BBs. What is the best and most rewarding playstyle to them? I suddenly have an interest in Iowa so I'll be going down the line. Is Colorado still bad? How to deal with the 21kt speed? How2play IJN DDs?

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

How2play IJN DDs?

Start with the Umikaze (obviously, but still . . .) and learn how to torp spam for effect

then play her alot more

then play her alot more

only after you have learned to love her

play her alot more

then consider moving to another IJN DD

while still playing her

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

By the time you get to Colorado you should be pretty well used to the play style, it really isn't different than the others.

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,293 posts
12,457 battles

Colorado is not bad!

How to play USN BB: Explained as simply, broadly and rudimentary as possible.

Your detection range is far lower than IJN BBs (my Iowa is detected at about 14km, god bless). Use terrain to cover you on a soft, rounded path to enemy big baddies or crew lackeys (BBs or CLs) based on which direction the enemies went at first. Your speed is low so choosing your engagement is everything, you can't run, merely turn away and hope to bounce shots enough for them to hopefully get bored.

When within your comfortable firing range, point your ship on a direct intercept course with the enemy (not directly at them, pretend you are trying to ram them, point at their path), which will angle you adequately, then run up to them and stab them with your sword. USN BBs are shortish comparatively, so when angled make very poor targets.

Get used to your comparatively smaller than IJN BB rudder shift time and begin shifting back before your guns are on target from a turn, momentum will carry you for a bit and have your guns drifting onto the target for a moment before reversing direction.

• Cool 1

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

How 2 play USN BB, tiers 3-7

-try to brawl

-realize that this doesn't work because you're too slow and will just get torpedoed anyways

-cry as your pitiful secondaries miss a stationary broadside cruiser thats 2km away 120 times

-try to play medium range

-enjoy those fires and getting rekt by IJN BB's who are sitting out of your range

-try to snipe

-realize that WG didn't even give you this option

-try to support a push

-get left behind and killed by a CV strike because you only do 21 knots while everyone else does 30+

-try to flex to hot spots where you are needed

-it takes you 5 minutes in a straight line at full speed to cover 1/10th of the map

-your range is too short to give support to friendlies from long range anyways

Tiers 8-10

-try to snipe because you actually can do it now

-shell velocity is too slow to make it practical

-if you're in the North Carolina, 1/3rd of your armament is unusable unless you want to receive 6 citpens the instant it unmasks

-go fast and enjoy actual tactical mobility, as well as okay (but extremely nerfed) AA

-Abuse the Iowa, just don't try to brawl in it

-If you're playing the Montana, you already screwed up

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
268 posts
4,323 battles

Colorado is not bad!

How to play USN BB: Explained as simply, broadly and rudimentary as possible.

Your detection range is far lower than IJN BBs (my Iowa is detected at about 14km, god bless). Use terrain to cover you on a soft, rounded path to enemy big baddies or crew lackeys (BBs or CLs) based on which direction the enemies went at first. Your speed is low so choosing your engagement is everything, you can't run, merely turn away and hope to bounce shots enough for them to hopefully get bored.

When within your comfortable firing range, point your ship on a direct intercept course with the enemy (not directly at them, pretend you are trying to ram them, point at their path), which will angle you adequately, then run up to them and stab them with your sword. USN BBs are shortish comparatively, so when angled make very poor targets.

Get used to your comparatively smaller than IJN BB rudder shift time and begin shifting back before your guns are on target from a turn, momentum will carry you for a bit and have your guns drifting onto the target for a moment before reversing direction.

Pretty much this.    If you need to turn and run try to do it between the heavy hitters salvo.   If you catch the red lemming train you can often drag out the engagement for ever, buying your team the time to get to enemy cap.  

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,293 posts
12,457 battles

-If you're playing the Montana, you already screwed up

:(

[NMKJT]
Members
4,280 posts
9,133 battles

So I feel like having another go at USN BBs, and maybe IJN BBs. What is the best and most rewarding playstyle to them? I suddenly have an interest in Iowa so I'll be going down the line. Is Colorado still bad? How to deal with the 21kt speed? How2play IJN DDs?

It helps if you have a division mate in an IJN BB. Your friend can lead into fights for you with the greater speed/range, and then fall back a little once you get into the fight so your better armor scheme deals with more fire. It's interesting how well they pair up and cover each others' weaknesses; Kongo and New York for example is a pretty good division in my experience.

Sign in to follow this