You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_9qa81sg1ET3c

Scavengers and Cowards

29 comments in this topic

Members
757 posts

New player here. This is a great game but unless I'm gaming with friends I notice people have a tendency to cower in the back of the map until they feel safe. Often they just sail into the battle in just enough time to get that last hit in.

I started noticing this im getting pummeled and I look back to see the whole team still sitting in spawn. Bad team or am I just rushing into battle?

[AFW]
Members
53 posts
21,466 battles

According to most of these fellas, your rushing. I'm still trying to figure out the balance between in the fight and cowardly dog. Teamwork is hard to come by sometimes.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
180 posts
835 battles

The trick is going in when you have the support of your team. You rush in to early and you just get a nice visit to Davy Jones locker. If you wait to long you may miss out on doing damage or worse because you waited so long your team is already dead and you get a nice visit to Davy Jones locker.

• Cool 2

[OJITT]
Beta Testers
521 posts
3,221 battles

Your every action in a Warship, regardless of class, needs to be pre-determined, Plan ahead,  Guesstimate.  Warships are slow and don't turn on a dime.   If you race ahead to spearhead a push, you have a good minute before you cross the point of no return to glance at your minimap and figure out if other captains are maneuvering to follow your example or not.

If no ones following, then you need to turn around and stay with the battlegroup.  If you continue advancing when the fleet is running away then the mistake is yours to be singled out as easy prey.

Edited by Hereticus2142

Members
713 posts

Also, keep in mind a kill shot is 15% of total ship xp, so the kill is less than what you are getting taking all the hp off the ship ahead of them. So the kill is no biggy.

Edited by tortelloni
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
263 posts
2,620 battles

New player here. This is a great game but unless I'm gaming with friends I notice people have a tendency to cower in the back of the map until they feel safe. Often they just sail into the battle in just enough time to get that last hit in.

I started noticing this im getting pummeled and I look back to see the whole team still sitting in spawn. Bad team or am I just rushing into battle?

A little of both I think. Camping at spawn is bad, but rushing in is not smart either. Remember the first ship to get spotted will be targeted by the entire enemy fleet. Smart players stay in the second line when possible and let the destroyers scout ahead.
  • Cool 1

Members
500 posts
2,381 battles

As most noted, you may be rushing in too soon.

I like to play cruisers. What I do, is wait until I see where the BBs are headed and then move to support them. Since I am faster, I get ahead of them but, not so far out as to become cut off and alone.

I am still at tier 3 so keep that in mind. Things might change for me at the higher tiers.

One thing that does annoy the dickens out of me is when a BB charges out alone with no support and into waters that are certain death: like the middle of the map.

After they are pummeled into oblivion, they complain that no one supported them. I have no intention of supporting a foolish BB.

I hate to say that but, a fool and his BB are soon parted.

This is not intended to be a troll post.

Edited by baxter_105
  • Cool 2

Members
244 posts
4,980 battles

I learned the term Noobie Rush and Camping playing Mech Warrior, but it applies to any PvP game environment.  The player rushes in alone, dies.  He respawns, rushes in again and dies again - repeat...  The guys on the other end are just camping out, waiting for the Noob to rush in again and give them multiple kills.

I guess this relates to Leroy Jenkins, the player famous for not listening to his teams initial strategy and rushing in alone shouting LEEERROOOY!!

I personally have angered my teammates while sitting back in my glass cannon 155 mm AFT ship trying to be a sniper.

Members
4,608 posts

I've been noticing this as well.  In my last battle, New York, on the Two Brothers map, went to the left, had (I said had) two other ships with me, the moment the enemy was spotted they turned and ran tail between their legs back to the spawn point.  Was holding my own against 4 ships (sank 1, lining up a second) when I got ripped with 6 torps.

I'm seeing this run to the middle back and then sit there far too much in lower level tier games.  Do players forget how to play when they get higher?

Edited by Wowzery
  • Cool 1

Members
43 posts
2,381 battles

Hi totally agree it is a great game and there is so much for people to learn about naval warfare .

In regards to random battles as you have seen there are divisions and these guys will normally have a pre game plan anyway

and one would hope it is based on overall working within a random battle and constant changing of tactics to suit every situation

and for the rest that are not in divisions to also employ tactics to suit the overall random battle situation they have joined as a member

of a team ( teamwork ) but you will always get them that think rushing to there death was the right thing to do and they had no support

when In reality they exposed themselves to fire from x amount of ships ( remember range is the biggest killer in naval warfare ) So where to be

and when and how much fire power should be there (ships) is a good rule of thumb to follow :popcorn:

Edited by CK8164

Members
2 posts

I think the key here is that people need to guesstimate and are hoping team mates will follow. This goes against my notion of being able to coordinate a battle. I have seen the argument that if a group is able to coordinate too much, the other team does not stand a chance, and therefore division is limited to 3 people. In my mind, considering this is a tactical game, it should cause people to band together and coordinate more. In my case I have been playing this with team mates from other games, but being limited to a max of 3 people is very limiting. Coordination should be the name of the game and it should be by voice comms, not chat and always seeing the same pre-hashed messages. So I would really like to see the size of the division bigger. There are so many other pvp games and people can work together via voice comms to achieve goals. The lack of coordination is frustrating and over the long run will reduce the appeal to me.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I'm still trying to figure out the balance between in the fight and cowardly dog. 

Exactly. It's all about knowing when to keep your distance, and when to charge in, guns blazing.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

In my last battle, New York, on the Two Brothers map, went to the left, had (I said had) two other ships with me, the moment the enemy was spotted they turned and ran tail between their legs back to the spawn point.  Was holding my own against 4 ships (sank 1, lining up a second) when I got ripped with 6 torps.

It's certainly possible that they assessed that, based on what 3 ships you had, and what 4 they had, that discretion was the better part of valour.

There's nothing wrong with retreating if that's the case. By leading the enemy to your spawn, you make it easier for somebody who went the other way to come back and assist. (not that it's guaranteed, but you have a better chance of getting help if said help thinks they can get there in time to make a difference)

Of course, they could have been cowardly idiots too lol.

• Cool 1

[EASLY]
Members
5 posts
3,975 battles

Still a green on this game. But charging out front by yourself may work as a dd, and a light cruiser. However if one or two ships are with me, I tend to charge in and hope they follow. If they do its perfect. There is one thing you can do if you love to charge out, after a few shots run back to your team, and repeat. Lol!

[FKK]
Members
580 posts
29,053 battles

Your every action in a Warship, regardless of class, needs to be pre-determined, Plan ahead,  Guesstimate.  Warships are slow and don't turn on a dime.   If you race ahead to spearhead a push, you have a good minute before you cross the point of no return to glance at your minimap and figure out if other captains are maneuvering to follow your example or not.

If no ones following, then you need to turn around and stay with the battlegroup.  If you continue advancing when the fleet is running away then the mistake is yours to be singled out as easy prey.

The difference from Co-Op and Random mode is nite and day. 

1) In CO-Op Mode, some of the DDs are freaking fearless. Rush into hell with a dixie cup.

2) In Random, hold back with the team and pace your time until you get a Mahanian advantage and then pounce.

Members
12 posts
405 battles

When I started playing (2 weeks ago), I was rushing in every time trying to get the highest kills, etc.  It wasn't until I joined my first division with a BB skipper that I realized how idiotic it is to charge in like that.  On the other hand, the BB skipper missed a lot of opportunities and was never in the top half at the end (I realize that ranking at the end has nothing to do with how well you played or how critical you were to the win or the loss, but it's useful in this discussion).  That aforementioned BB Skipper was a talker and had a lot to say on this aggressive/conservative dichotomy. The one thing that stuck with me was (I'm paraphrasing) "If this was real, then I'm responsible for the lives of some 1,100 men ... this would be in my mind with every single decision I make."  He was a salty old dog and clearly took himself too seriously, but that was profound and I'd like to think it made me a better player.  I certainly have more fun with it when I think this way /shrug

[AFOL]
Members
12 posts
3,269 battles

I like to play cruisers. What I do, is wait until I see where the BBs are headed and then move to support them. Since I am faster, I get ahead of them but, not so far out as to become cut off and alone.

I am still at tier 3 so keep that in mind. Things might change for me at the higher tiers.

One thing that does annoy the dickens out of me is when a BB charges out alone with no support and into waters that are certain death: like the middle of the map.

After they are pummeled into oblivion, they complain that no one supported them. I have no intention of supporting a foolish BB.

Part I can agree with but barely. As a CA driver, you go out behind the BBs?  That is why the BBs get blown out and look as other cowardly hiding and most defeats happens.  Go read the Battle of the Bismark, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the DDs in first, CA then BBs.   

As for being targeted by the enemy, been there also, but then break away and regroup.  

[JOUST]
Members
174 posts
2,280 battles

When I started playing (2 weeks ago), I was rushing in every time trying to get the highest kills, etc.  It wasn't until I joined my first division with a BB skipper that I realized how idiotic it is to charge in like that.  On the other hand, the BB skipper missed a lot of opportunities and was never in the top half at the end (I realize that ranking at the end has nothing to do with how well you played or how critical you were to the win or the loss, but it's useful in this discussion).  That aforementioned BB Skipper was a talker and had a lot to say on this aggressive/conservative dichotomy. The one thing that stuck with me was (I'm paraphrasing) "If this was real, then I'm responsible for the lives of some 1,100 men ... this would be in my mind with every single decision I make."  He was a salty old dog and clearly took himself too seriously, but that was profound and I'd like to think it made me a better player.  I certainly have more fun with it when I think this way /shrug

And technically we are all mass murderers if you factor in that NO life boats are ever launched when the ship is sinking:amazed::hiding:

Beta Testers
70 posts
6,972 battles

In a warship a captains job is not to protect his crew first, it is to kill the enemy. His responsibility is not to keep his crew alive but to be sure they have not died in vain. Of course you don't want your crew to be killed but in war some die and if a captain is too timid they may die without hurting the enemy. That is the waste. Being a Captain in war is the most terrible job as you must be cold and calculate your loses vs the enemies. In WW2 Churchill knew through a broken German code that Coventry was to be bombed, he could re-enforce the area but warn the germans the code was broken or do nothing and keep the information secret for use later. He chose to keep the broken code secret and Coventry was badly bombed but intel from that code later proved decisive in later operations. That is the kind of calculating a captain must do on a smaller scale.

[AFOL]
Members
12 posts
3,269 battles

In a warship a captains job is not to protect his crew first, it is to kill the enemy. His responsibility is not to keep his crew alive but to be sure they have not died in vain. Of course you don't want your crew to be killed but in war some die and if a captain is too timid they may die without hurting the enemy. That is the waste. Being a Captain in war is the most terrible job as you must be cold and calculate your loses vs the enemies. In WW2 Churchill knew through a broken German code that Coventry was to be bombed, he could re-enforce the area but warn the germans the code was broken or do nothing and keep the information secret for use later. He chose to keep the broken code secret and Coventry was badly bombed but intel from that code later proved decisive in later operations. That is the kind of calculating a captain must do on a smaller scale.

Very true. If I am sunk, least I do some damage to the enemy so it not in vain. 

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts

Here is the double edge sword.  Still having issues even in tier 9.   3 circles to be capped for points.  If the whole team goes the 1 line. By the time they get around the island and the better teams will cap all the points.  Now.  The time you get through one cap.  You still have 2 more.  Yes you can kill everyone. But you won't by the time they win on points.  Still not sure if people under stand this.

Now the double edge is, when do you push to get those points or do you sit back and wait till its too late.  Also does everyone know they can't cap if you are in there?  

Simple boneheaded moves that people do.  My bonehead moves are trying to win and get myself stuck in a stupid spot.

Beta Testers
841 posts
3,908 battles

* NOT trolling! :trollface:

:hiding:You have 2 BB Battles. You just do not understand yet enough to pass judgement on this:coin:

NOW...If your entire battle group was not fearful and followed that BB she would have done her job taking damage and :izmena:drawn fire for you as intended as the rest of your/her team dissects the enemy red team... :P but no you all  other teammates did stay safe and ineffective behind islands unable to shoot anything!:amazed:

Take a chance at a run with a BB head on. Armor on BB is constructed most effectively to go forwards. Enemy will scatter if a large group is supporting. The secondaries will help as well. I am not saying go kamikaze. I mean a well planned, team approved, going head on into danger:ohmy: assault... glorious

• Cool 1

[FKK]
Members
580 posts
29,053 battles

The RANDOM in Random battles is really what kind of team you will be on. I am all for hanging back and waiting for the advantage to come. But man...I have been in some battles where as soon as there is more then one ship in range of fire, the rest of the team retreats. It is rather discouraging. Guess i need to find a clan or something.

I endorse a new achievement. Last one to score a hit until over half your team is sunk. Call it the Courage the Cowardly Dog Award: CCDA!

courage_the_cowardly_dog__by_missile_me-

Here's your trophy...

Edited by DKW_86