You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheAngryJerk

Over Penetrating Citadels

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
13 posts
826 battles

I was having fun in my Kongo, and I encountered an Omaha around the corner. I dodged his torps, then hit him on the waterline right under the stacks. Instead of the explosion I was expecting, I heard a zing, and poof, 2000 damage done by over-penetration. Seriously, 4 holes in your boilers still counts as massive damage right? But as of right now, going up to, say a Kuma and shooting it in the engine with HE yields a citadel, but AP goes right through the magazines and the engine rooms while dealing minimal damage. 

I do realize that WG tries to give destroyers a chance because of over-penetration (its not like they really need it, secondaries suck). But seriously, I do believe that shells going through your magazine should do something, like I dunno, explode something? Or boilers with huge 356mm holes through both sides should work at less that full power? I'm fine not citadeling destroyers, but cruisers is another story. Battleships, Battlecruisers, and the like were built to beat cruisers. If you have AP that only citadels at beyond 6-7km and cant hit anything often beyond 18km, then I got a problem. Either you burn to death by cruisers, or fail to sink your opposite number and die by citadel penetration. Yes, I can kill a cruiser if it broadsides, but smarter(or dumber, depending on how you look at it) captains will just yolo in and try to torp you. Citadels are nearly impossible to deal from the front, so your only chance is to get a salvo in right as the bring their torps to bear. Now, somebody is gonna say "But you have a team Jerk, cruisers and destroyers on your team. They will kill anything that gets too close." Now, anyone who knows there's salt in these seas will know you can't truly trust your team 24/7 to do the right thing. Or even notice, since I still see plenty players ground themselves or get torpedoed in a firefight because they never looked once at their map, or out of sniper mode.

Yes, I know some cruisers have below the water engines and/or magazines, and some are harder to hit. But its unacceptable that a salvo that at 10km nuke a Konigsberg wont even deal above 3000 damage at point blank to the same ship, in the same place. I mean, the shells are even more accurate at point blank.

I wouldn't post this if it hadn't happened more than twice a day. Any constructive tips or an explanation would be appreciated. ~Peace

Edited by TheAngryJerk

Beta Testers
79 posts
5,873 battles

I agree with OP.. and I would go farther, that whenever ANY two ships are shooting at each other within 1km, damage should be much higher.

I have been in quite a few battles with 2 Clevelands at point blank range shooting at each other circling... like 100 meters from each other, and both ships fire off 30-40 shots. That is rediculous. Shooting at that close a range should be doing MAJOR damage to any ship.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

You cannot overpenetrate citadels.  If you'd hit a citadel, you would have done max AP damage.  What's more likely is that you either didn't hit where you thought you did, either due to lag or just the chaos of battle.

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

You cannot overpenetrate a citadel and what you had is just visual desync between the client and server, where in reality  you shot infront or behind the citadels. In which case at medium range dispersion would help you out, at close range dispersion does little to nothing especially after the latest 3km buff. I haven't had a chance to try this out since in T7+ matches nobody comes close to another ship for me to try this out and I recently sold my Fusou, but try to shoot in sequence along the citadel area, starting at the bow and ending at the aft, rather than all at one point.

Bonus 1:

Destroyers don't have citadels, and have extremely thin armor, you won't be able to not overpenetrate until they're T8 or above at any range. Use HE against them.

Edit: because i'm stupid.

Edited by IKU19

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

You cannot overpenetrate citadels.  If you'd hit a citadel, you would have done max AP damage.  What's more likely is that you either didn't hit where you thought you did, either due to lag or just the chaos of battle.

This.  If you had hit the citadel, it would have caused citadel damage (full shell damage).  Since you only got an over penetration, the only thing you can assume is that you penetrated the hull near a citadel and the shell passed through the ship without blowing up, so the only damage you did is make a 350mm hole that goes through both sides of the ship killing Seaman Apprentice Bob, who was napping in his bunk.  Since Bob is pretty useless even when he is awake, you only got 10% of the shell damage because, even then only because they have to replace his bunk.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
13 posts
826 battles

I'm pretty sure I'm not lagging hard enough to have shells desync and not hit where I see them. I've had some good games tonight.  I'm pretty sure glowing holes mark where shells go in. That means there has to be something else, because going through a citadel shouldn't be possible. That's why I brought this up.

Edited by TheAngryJerk

Beta Testers
13 posts
826 battles

Plus, the shells come in in a flat salvo, I fire all turrets at the same time. They hit ships at close range in a spread, not all on one point. I put shells in from front to back, and nothing happened.

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

Even if your ping is great, the server still has desync issues because of it's tick rate.

[DKM]
Members
43 posts
5,660 battles

Fully agreed. I feel how WG model the ship is just armor + vacuum inside. So the shell either goes in explode or not explode. I also feel the shell speed in game is same even after penetrate an armor plate. Hence the condition of explosion of AP is very hard to meet. I do feel WG need to fix this. At least add impact of penetration.

[FTACO]
Beta Testers
219 posts
4,723 battles

Ummmm You can overpenetrate citadels

Aim below the waterline and use the water to arm your shell early so it doesn't over pen.