Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Max_T

chat

27 comments in this topic

[KNOTS]
Beta Testers
174 posts
2,199 battles

Why would you want that?

Some people hate the chat and want it gone or where they can choose if they want to deal with a screen full of hate speech or not. Either way I love nailing people for racism so I keep it.

[KIA]
Members
1,858 posts
7,765 battles

Some people hate the chat and want it gone or where they can choose if they want to deal with a screen full of hate speech or not. Either way I love nailing people for racism so I keep it.

Still, it negates the other people who wish to cooperate with the player.  
  • Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
741 posts
5,248 battles

Yes...let stubborn people who refuse to play with a team mentality the ability to ignore any sensible strategies or orders so they can do their own thing. 

People who complain about chat are the ones who never ever listen to any suggestions what so ever because they know best. 

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

Yes...let stubborn people who refuse to play with a team mentality the ability to ignore any sensible strategies or orders so they can do their own thing. 

People who complain about chat are the ones who never ever listen to any suggestions what so ever because they know best. 

Nearly all complaints about chat are about toxic players, not people disagreeing on strategy.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,651 battles

This is such a stinking pile of buIIcrap.  :angry:

The problem with chat is that about 95+% of messages are worthless and/or offensive garbage.  And the amount of worthwhile messages is so small that it does not justify the existence of the chat system.  I think that it's possible to replace the in game chat with a better developed system of canned messages, like the current Fn key messages.

[BOTES]
Members
741 posts
5,248 battles

Nearly all complaints about chat are about toxic players, not people disagreeing on strategy.

There is this time proven age old technique instead of getting rid of it all together...

Its called don't look at it. 

Cyberbullying only exists because people respond to it. 

[BOTES]
Members
741 posts
5,248 battles

The problem with chat is that about 95+% of messages are worthless and/or offensive garbage.  And the amount of worthwhile messages is so small that it does not justify the existence of the chat system.  I think that it's possible to replace the in game chat with a better developed system of canned messages, like the current Fn key messages.

You seem like the type who hates the institution of the First Amendment. 

Chat isn't going away. So either ignore it or get used to it. 

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

There is this time proven age old technique instead of getting rid of it all together...

Its called don't look at it. 

Cyberbullying only exists because people respond to it. 

Cyberbullying is ENCOURAGED by response. Not directly caused by it. If we want cyberbullying to stop, then the bullies have to be stopped at their core.

There's far more worthwhile messages than you think. Worthwhile by battle relevant or respectful discussion/conversation. Some people do encounter those bad people more than others though. Have to factor that in.

[A-M-F]
Beta Testers
578 posts
3,090 battles

They really need to just implament a blacklist feature you can add people to in the middle of the match. By roofing chat completely you also cut out on one of the few ways to work as a team.

Beta Testers
612 posts

where do you find that at?

Beta Testers
612 posts

They really need to just implament a blacklist feature you can add people to in the middle of the match. By roofing chat completely you also cut out on one of the few ways to work as a team.

i filled my up on wot before i left it

Beta Testers
612 posts

Cyberbullying is ENCOURAGED by response. Not directly caused by it. If we want cyberbullying to stop, then the bullies have to be stopped at their core.

There's far more worthwhile messages than you think. Worthwhile by battle relevant or respectful discussion/conversation. Some people do encounter those bad people more than others though. Have to factor that in.

i dont disagree with u but i just had a gut full of wot type players .so till wg cleans it up.[ they wont i dod what i have to do to enjoy the game. plus i watch my map .all ways have

Beta Testers
612 posts

o dont have to bub no chat mod

Beta Testers
612 posts

i bet ur one of the ones i am sick of no worrys no chat mod wink

[X-PN]
Beta Testers
792 posts
13,513 battles

I was about to suggest the same thing, like a real time filter so you can continue to communicate with the rest of the team.

Beta Testers
612 posts

I was about to suggest the same thing, like a real time filter so you can continue to communicate with the rest of the team.

that would help a lot

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,651 battles

I am not the government.  And even if WG were to get rid of in-game chat, or censor these forums to the most ridiculous extreme you or I could imagine, it would IN NO WAY be a violation of the First Amendment.  The 1st AM applies ONLY to the government.  Period.  This is non-debatable.  "The government shall pass no law ..."   You are a serious Civics class fail with assertions like this.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

GregL385, on 23 October 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

I am not the government.  And even if WG were to get rid of in-game chat, or censor these forums to the most ridiculous extreme you or I could imagine, it would IN NO WAY be a violation of the First Amendment.  The 1st AM applies ONLY to the government.  Period.  This is non-debatable.  "The government shall pass no law ..."   You are a serious Civics class fail with assertions like this.

He also doesn't realize that freedom to speak one's mind doesn't imply that other people have to listen - I'd put it into "serious common sense fail" category.

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

What game are you guys playing? I only see major toxicity once every 10-15 matches or so. I haven't had to submit a ticket for racism/sexism in weeks. 

Or is it a case of special snowflake syndrome where you guys take offence to a harmless 'yo momma' joke at the start of the match? 

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

Very true, WG can do what they want. But we have a culture of freedom of speech here, and businesses that use heavy handed censorship practices usually don't do very well in the free market unless they are for children.

This is a competitive game, tempers will flair. Its a good idea to thicken up your hide a bit any time you enter a competition.    

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Well, now you are prioritizing your experience versus others. So, who is right in this situation? Who is the "correct person" over their personal experience on what they find fun or acceptable? If the person who doesn't want to see chat finds that more suitable and enjoyable should they be forced to see it? Honest question. Not leaning either way here, just trying to open a dialect as it seems that there is a prioritization of my wants versus others taking precedents.

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Very true, WG can do what they want. But we have a culture of freedom of speech here, and businesses that use heavy handed censorship practices usually don't do very well in the free market unless they are for children.

This is a competitive game, tempers will flair. Its a good idea to thicken up your hide a bit any time you enter a competition.    

How competitive is this game? I must be in the wrong game, genre or even decade for that matter. At some point attitudes shifted and the bold got used as a guise for all games, including candy crush, as that too is considered " a competitive game" if one looks at it. What a competitive game used to be considered is not only working as a team, but working with people you knew, working over coms, working on strats throughout a week/weekend, competing in events or tournaments in communities (not necessarily in a sponsorship/paid event, but just a community type "competitive atmosphere").

While this is a base form of the term "competition" - to compete, due to the fact that we get together with random people (for the majority of the population) and slug it out for 20 minutes or less and then queue again to slug it out with another random set of people. Perhaps we see 1 or 2 people we recognize, more often then not, we don't though. But you're right, we compete. What we compete against though are numbers, our numbers. Our own stats and really nothing more. There are no clan rankings/player rankings (yet - hope there will be one day, not complaining, but it would be pretty cool).

So, you can throw the "get thicker skin" argument, "grow some hide", "this is a leet competition/Rambo game where men are men rawr!" type game, but it's really not. I am not saying that I do not like the game. Far from it, I love the game, I really do. But don't make it out to be something it isn't. I hope one day it will be a game of good competition, but it isn't there "yet". So spare the "competition" speak and check the attitudes at the door.

A little civility goes a long way. If you or anyone else needs to "flair" their attitude at someone, perhaps do it at their neighbor, mom, dad, sister, brother, wife, husband, dog, cat, boss, landlord, grandmother, grandfather, child, teacher, local firefighter, local law enforcement, store clerk, bank teller, in case you're not getting the pattern here, I will spell it out and say someone in person and the moral here is that instead of saying that everyone on the internet has "thin skin" maybe, just maybe the person with "thin skin" aren't the people on the internet wondering what in the heck is wrong with people raging over pixels, but the people who refuse or are incapable/afraid to do so in real life and feel the need to act like that in an area where there are no real consequences.

Personally, just my humble opinion, it's pretty weak to act out, vent, yell, scream, holler, etc. at someone without any chance of repercussions. So who is really thin skinned? Words are just words, they mean nothing tbh, lol. But seriously, "thin skinned", gotta check that statement a little bit better.

Sign in to follow this