Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

A detailed look at SMS Konig

21 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

This is a follow up ship from yesterdays ship.. the Bayern (http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/55113-a-detailed-look-at-sms-bayern-baden/#topmost ) The topic drew a great conversation not only about the Bayern itself, but about German dreds in general. So for the next few days we shall be covering the German dreds going from tier 6, Bayern, on down. After the German dreds are completed I will be taking a 4 day break from any and all German ships, for balance reasons.

today we will be talking about the next step down from Bayern, the Battleships of the Konig class. This class was the first class of German dreds to have all main turrets on the centerline, meaning that all guns could be fired to either broadside. All 4 ships participated in Jutland and all survived the war and were scuttled at Scapa flow. Lets have a look shall we?

WEIGHT - 28,600t

This is on the shallow end of the tier 5 hitpoint pool, with the other two tier 5 battleships weighing at least 32,000t. But as was discussed with Bayern, low hipoints will be a recurring theme for the German dreds, this does not make them underpowered, in fact it balances them as the German dreds have rediculously thick armor (only Yamato and Montana have thicker belts)

ARMOR 

Belt: 350mm

Turrets: 300mm

Armored Bridge: 300mm

Deck: 60-100mm

Torpedo Bulkhead: 40mm

Turtleback: 100mm

The belt armor is the same on the Bayern, but the turtleback is twice as thick! The deck armor is pretty thin however, this will be another theme with German battleships as a whole, So you cant take much plunging fire. German battleships are purebred brawlers, that is their "flavor". From close ranges the Konig will be 99.99% impossible to citadel, even IF a shell manages to punch through the 350mm belt it still has a 40mm bulkhead and a 100mm turtleback in its way to get to the citadel!

MAIN BATTERY - 5x2 305mm (12")

Here we see another "flavor" of German battleships, they almost always have smaller main battery guns. The German 12's are by no means bad weapons though as they had similar penetration performance to the British 13.5's just like the German 11's had similar performance to the British 12's. The difference is the German guns could also fire 1 rpm faster. The 12" guns can fire 3 times a minute or every 20 sec. These are the fastest firing battleship guns at tier 5, their dpm will make up for their relatively low dps.

SECONDARY BATTERY - 14x1 150mm (5.9"), 10x1 88mm

Not bad for any battleship, pretty normal here.

AA BATTERY - 4x1 88mm

Another "flavor" of German battleships.... weak AA. Konig will struggle to shoot anything down.

SPEED - 21.2kn

Definately not fast, in fact its rather slow, but nothing we're not used to with New York. speaking of NY the Konig is almost exactly the same size so expect a similar turning circle. Expect similar detectability as well, although it may be slightly less as it isnt as tall as NY.

CONCLUSION -  Konig is an excellent brawling ship, but you have to close range or else your weak deck armor will be punished. Unlike tirpitz, who can use its superior speed to dictate the ranges of its engagements, Konig is only as fast as an NY. So stick with a partner (Like New york which is also forced to close range because of its short firing range) and use teamwork to give the enemy something else to shoot at until your close enough where you no longer need support. If your fighting a Konig at anything under 10km dont waste your AP because you will have such an abysmal chance at penetrating the ridiculously thick belt armor, never mind the citadel, that its not even worth shooting AP. You will have to burn German dreds to the waterline because you wont be able to reliably penetrate their armor from medium-close ranges. Fire HE exclusively. But the second you spot a Konig/ German dred shoot AP at it immediately in order to squeeze every last deck penetration out of it that you possibly can. The best tactic to use against the Konig is to turn round and run, your goal is to not let it get close.  But you have to remember one of the rules of war "If the enemy is in range, so are you" And the Konig can outshoot any other battleship besides another German dred. If your in a konig and you see the enemy doing this (keeping its distance), break off and get out of range, find a different less smart target to brawl with. The secondarys are good, The AA is practically non-existant and the Turning time is alright. Overall the Konig will make a fine tier 5 battleship. Boasting excellent close range armor and quick firing guns.

PROS

Insanely good belt armor

Very well protected citadel

Very good reload time

Good secondarys

CONS

Slow

Terrible AA 

Weak deck armor

Hope you all enjoyed this one! Tomorrow we will be looking at the Kaiser class! Until then, take care everybody! :)

378fea92_zpse311b442.jpg

user posted image

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 10

[WOO]
Members
402 posts
9,149 battles

+1 for the really good report on this beast, look forward to the others you got coming up!

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

+1 for the really good report on this beast, look forward to the others you got coming up!

Thanks mate! You can check out all the other ships ive done here! http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/53896-the-complete-a-detailed-look-at-series/page__fromsearch__1

I do a different ship that is not yet in game everyday for about the last 3 weeks or so now.. as of current i do not plan on stopping.

[-HOJ-]
Members
186 posts
3,602 battles

Another wonderful post in a wonderful collection. I really hope you continue them!

Edited by SirBravery

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I'm currently struggling with the Dresden in Random Battles. BUt I enjoyed reading your comment. Looks like there is hope further down the line

Ho do you struggle with the Dresden?? :unsure: its probably the best ship in the entire line! I love my Dresden! :) But yes.. the German battleships will attract allot of attention.. and allot of "OP armor" rage from people who dont know how to fight against them :sceptic:

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

Well, chances are WG wont give this battleship the full 3 RPM per gun, it'll probably be closer to 2.5, but hey, we will see when the line eventually comes out. I just hope they don't take too long, I already finished IJN and USN BB lines, I need another BB line to chew on. Though really I see the only BB at T5 that would really be a threat is Kongo, because Kongo has the speed to stay out of range and abuse plunging fire. As for AA, well AA is pretty abysmal on most T5 ships, so that isn't much of a problem there. But yeah, German BB's are the next line i want to play, well really any BB line, but in all honesty, the German BB line looks like its going to be the next BB line out anyway, since they already have Bismarck modeled in game. I heard that there where a lot of issues trying to get proper data on British ships, and I am pretty sure the next soviet line will be cruisers.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Though really I see the only BB at T5 that would really be a threat is Kongo, because Kongo has the speed to stay out of range and abuse plunging fire

I agree completely. Also Kongo has very good firing range as well. Dont know what German battleship ranges will be.. but tirpitz and the German cruisers all have very good range so i see no reason why the Battleships wont follow suit

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

I agree completely. Also Kongo has very good firing range as well. Dont know what German battleship ranges will be.. but tirpitz and the German cruisers all have very good range so i see no reason why the Battleships wont follow suit

They measure range by the height of the primary range finders from what I heard. I am not privy as to where the german range finders are located, So i cant even really guess as to what range WG would give them, though I do know that WW1 era german range finders where top notch for their time.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

They measure range by the height of the primary range finders from what I heard. I am not privy as to where the german range finders are located, So i cant even really guess as to what range WG would give them, though I do know that WW1 era german range finders where top notch for their time.

Yep the Zeiss 3m... still outclassed anything the British had in the early years of WWII as well.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Have you done this for vittorio veneto yet? If not, looking forward to it

Yes http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/53698-a-detailed-look-at-littorio/page__fromsearch__1

[NORUN]
Members
695 posts
8,870 battles

We will have to hope that the German battlecruiser line comes sooner than later so we can have a tier 5 that can chase down the Kongo and bully it like the Japanese high school child it is.  :trollface:  But then again I just have always loved the Derfflinger.

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

Pretty sure most of the German Battleships will get a theoretical 1930s refit.

Generally I think German battleships starting at Tier 4 and leading right before the Scharnhorst, and if skipped, to the Bismarck, will get paper refits.

I am quite amazed with the creative job Wargaming has done with the Myogi, and in doing fictional ships like the Roon, I look forward to seeing these fictional refits.  

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Generally I think German battleships starting at Tier 4 and leading right before the Scharnhorst, and if skipped, to the Bismarck, will get paper refits.

I am quite amazed with the creative job Wargaming has done with the Myogi, and in doing fictional ships like the Roon, I look forward to seeing these fictional refits.  

I dont :sceptic: dont want WoWS to turn into WOT :angry:

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

You can always mount the older hull for appearance if you want.  

When a ship is matched to a tier that has a carrier, it definitely needs an AA refit.  

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I think we're ok so far. To this point, all the fictional ships and refits seem quite plausible, and fit in well with the "real" ships.

But it's certainly necessary, with WW1 ships that were scrapped or retired prior to WW2 sharing the field with ships that were active in WW2.

Members
372 posts
164 battles

König Klasse  [1914  (König,  Großer Kurfürst,  Markgraf, Kronprinz)

Hauptartillerie : 10 x 305mm, Sekundär-Artillerie  14x 150mm + 10x 88mm

koenig-classnju8n.jpg

:honoring:

Sign in to follow this