Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

45% player

43 comments in this topic

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Now I will never be a Lord Nelson but I am hanging around a 45% win rate and I would at least like to be a 50%er for my own personal satisfaction. I am not stat obsessional but I like to win.  I do have the St Louis at 53%.  Maybe I should just play her!  Anyone else hanging around in the mid 40% range and just when you get close to at least 50% back down ya go.  Frustrating.  I had this issue in WoT also.  It does seem win rates are a bit lower overall than I saw in WoT. Comment if you wish just don't troll me and tell me I suck so bad I should uninstall! :sceptic: :D

Members
555 posts
11,596 battles

Find some friends and play division, your win rate will go up if you work together and you will live longer and learn more about the game. And you you will make more exp and silver.

Division FTW

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Same, although I think winrate is b.s.

To a degree it is but I like to win more than I like to lose.  Like I said I am not obsessional but WG can be very manipulative.  I did not say rigged!  It just is very perplexing to me at times.  

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

Now I will never be a Lord Nelson but I am hanging around a 45% win rate and I would at least like to be a 50%er for my own personal satisfaction. I am not stat obsessional but I like to win.  I do have the St Louis at 53%.  Maybe I should just play her!  Anyone else hanging around in the mid 40% range and just when you get close to at least 50% back down ya go.  Frustrating.  I had this issue in WoT also.  It does seem win rates are a bit lower overall than I saw in WoT. Comment if you wish just don't troll me and tell me I suck so bad I should uninstall! :sceptic: :D

There's still plenty of time to improve.  Your damage is low, but I'd be more concerned with your survival rate.  You've survived in 4 out of 48 battles in your Phoenix!  I'm going to guess that you're rushing in too early and finding yourself in situations that you don't survive.  I'm sure you don't want to be that guy that hugs the blue line all map, but you probably need to slow down a bit and let the battle develop some.

I played a lot of battles in World of Tanks as a pretty bad player.  I didn't get better at Tanks until I learned to live longer.  Live longer, and you'll deal more damage.  Deal more damage, and you'll kill more tanks ships.  Do those, and you'll win more often.  Once you gain more experience you'll know when to balance survival with damage dealing, but for now, just work on surviving.

Edited by Mesrith

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Find some friends and play division, your win rate will go up if you work together and you will live longer and learn more about the game. And you you will make more exp and silver.

Division FTW

All my close friends have perished.  I am not young. Well, a lot of em have.  The sixties really took a toll on some of em.  

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

There's still plenty of time to improve.  Your damage is low, but I'd be more concerned with your survival rate.  You've survived in 4 out of 48 battles in your Phoenix!  I'm going to guess that you're rushing in too early and finding yourself in situations that you don't survive.  I'm sure you don't want to be that guy that hugs the blue line all map, but you probably need to slow down a bit and let the battle develop some.

I played a lot of battles in World of Tanks as a pretty bad player.  I didn't get better at Tanks until I learned to live longer.  Live longer, and you'll deal more damage.  Deal more damage, and you'll kill more tanks ships.  Do those, and you'll win more often.  Once you gain more experience you'll know when to balance survival with damage dealing, but for now, just work on surviving.

The Phoenix has been a disaster.  I have put her on hold until I learn more about playing the game.  Tks

Members
4,886 posts

try to play st. louis... i personally hate to check my stats because it affects my fun, but recently i checked them and was very surprised to see that i somehow won 12 of 15 st. louis games and i didn't even notice it... she is like my most successful ship right now, at least till i play her again and spoil the stats :3 but i sold her when i got an aurora code... aurora is worse than st. louis despite having a better mm (st. louis is matched vs higher tiers more often) and a better range; w/e, i'm not going to statpad with st, louis unless i greatly fail on the new soviet line which i begin tomorrow

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Same, although I think winrate is b.s.

I agree, but only temporarily, because the average player doesn't have enough games to really be out of the learning stage, or to have WR be less susceptible to a run of bad luck.

IOW, at this point, most players don't have enough games to equalise all the random factors from player to player.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

The Phoenix has been a disaster.  I have put her on hold until I learn more about playing the game.  Tks

Biggest suggestion is to start out at 3/4 throttle, and don't go full speed unless you're in combat, or are trying to get somewhere specific. That also keeps you closer to BBs, so you can help them out against DDs.

Don't be the first one to get somewhere until you are confident in your ability to assess and GTFO when necessary.

Are you dueling to the death when you fight another ship? If so, stop that! :) Don't be afraid to run away and come back when your nemesis is shooting at something else. (If you get out of his range, he's more likely to switch to an available target than chase you)

Edited by Skpstr

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

Which makes sense if you think about it.  Your St. Louis has enough armor that your angle is less important, while your Phoenix probably gets creamed by AP shells because you're broadside too often.  The Phoenix has enough speed to get you into trouble, while the St. Louis is slow enough to prevent you from surging ahead of your team too often.  Your survival rate is still low in your St Louis, but it's not nearly as low as your Phoenix.

I'm obviously just trying to interpret numbers without seeing you play, but I'd give it a shot.  For a few nights, play your Phoenix but play it slower.  Make it your goal to survive for the whole game while still staying within firing range of an enemy the whole time.  You won't always succeed, but just staying alive and doing damage will be enough to improve everything else.  The finer points of this game (what few there are) can come later.

Members
4,886 posts

I agree, but only temporarily, because the average player doesn't have enough games to really be out of the learning stage, or to have WR be less susceptible to a run of bad luck.

IOW, at this point, most players don't have enough games to equalise all the random factors from player to player.

don't forget that no mm except by the ship tier means that to get even 50% one should make quite an effort because with such a system you are not protected from the good/best players and, suddenly, there is always a bigger chance that a good/best player will be on another team (the other team simply has more available slots, since you occupy one on your team); on a side note it also means that the chance to get a teamkiller on your team is lower than on the enemy team

it benefits only those good/best players who instead of playing vs other good/best players seal club the rest

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Biggest suggestion is to start out at 3/4 throttle, and don't go full speed unless you're in combat, or are trying to get somewhere specific. That also keeps you closer to BBs, so you can help them out against DDs.

Tks.  I have got the Omaha now but I am taking things slow.  I put myself in the Phoenix way too early in my naval career and paid the price. She is a rather fragile ship and as I said as for now I got her just sitting.  The Erie and the St Louis have been ok.  The St Louis is a monster in her tier.  Fun.  Slow however....gotta watch out for the torps in her.

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

I belong to a clan of really nice folks where an overwhelming majority of players love the game and consider it fun even with their 42-45% win rates.  What baffles my mind is that they act surprised when they round a corner in an island instead of playing more conservatively and get jumped by 5 ships that just 'came out of nowhere'.  But they shrug it off as if it's no big deal and load another match and do the same thing. Again.  And again.

Do they know enough not to do it?  Why do they do it?  Are they not learning?  Is it a motivation thing?  I can't get into the psychology of the players because everyone's different, no two casual players are the same.  I chalk it up to casual because in my mind casual isn't just a time issue but a frame of mind.  You have to be a lot more high-energy and committed to do all the finer things in the game that increase your win rate.

If you ever watch youtube videos of top WoWs players, you'll notice how fast they are clicking on things, constantly scanning around so they don't get blindsided, blading their ship between shots every time... etc. etc.  It's enough to make casual players' heads spin.  They don't want to be sitting on the edge of their chair in a high stress mode doing all those lightning fast moves.  After all, you're in a slow-moving ship, what possibly could you need to do all that for?  Well, you're controlling movement, scouting/observation decks, secondaries, primaries and consumables, something that takes hundreds of men to do on a real life ship.

Players with a higher win rate do all the little things that when summed up make all the difference.  Perhaps casual players often look at one tiny little thing instead of the sum total of tiny little things and think it's not necessary or important enough.  And when I mean do all the little things, that also includes taking the time to watch videos and seek out learning opportunities to improve.  Even learning which modules to buy and what not to buy.  Tons of people are broke in credits because they are blindly upgrading everything without putting in the effort to do the math as MANY upgrades will NOT net you a positive return.

• Cool 2

Members
44 posts
1,395 battles

Some tips:

This is worth a look, http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0503-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v116-20102015/

They are not a cheats, but some superficial mods that alter the look of some features to be easier to read, different. Crosshairs are partularly good, i recommend highly, Tic-Tac for Eye of Sauron. See for yourself.

After that, when you are playing think of these things in order and look around:

Torps, TORPS TOOOORPEEEDOOOS, always check for torps, dont get too close to un scouted corners (meaning corners where a vessel or plane cannot see over), there is almost always a nasty destroyer captain cunningly lying in wait.

Dont rush in, the guns often have quite big ranges, no need to get all mixed up and minced, keep your distance.

Once all the start fighting has died down a bit, check your minimap and asses where your vessel, lets say a cruiser, might be worth repositioning to, either to kill something you can kill (not a battleship) or to protect / cover an asset, a battleship or a carrier from those DDs, even in the higher tiers DD's are extremely potent and most of the start of the rounds are spent looking, waiting for them to try to sneak you or torp you.

Minimap Minimap Minimap, always look, check whats going on. When you get used to that, check the skies, scout planes show enemy boats, and torpedo bombers will kill you.

Then select the right ammo, Ap is for Cruisers, HE is for Destroyers.

Learn the lead on targets, using the numbers on the crosshair helps, I say mentally, i think this distance, speed vector is a 7 and slightly up, then once my shells are near after i have done a go at numbers 1-5 whilst the shells are in the air, i look and readdjust, shorter if infront and further if behind.

Theres a few more things, but these help a lot.

Oh and shift is zoom and right click is freelook centred, but your guns dont follow your gaze.

Edited by PeachSlices

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Which makes sense if you think about it.  Your St. Louis has enough armor that your angle is less important, while your Phoenix probably gets creamed by AP shells because you're broadside too often.  The Phoenix has enough speed to get you into trouble, while the St. Louis is slow enough to prevent you from surging ahead of your team too often.  Your survival rate is still low in your St Louis, but it's not nearly as low as your Phoenix.

I'm obviously just trying to interpret numbers without seeing you play, but I'd give it a shot.  For a few nights, play your Phoenix but play it slower.  Make it your goal to survive for the whole game while still staying within firing range of an enemy the whole time.  You won't always succeed, but just staying alive and doing damage will be enough to improve everything else.  The finer points of this game (what few there are) can come later.

Very good.  Tks again.  Ya I got CREAMED in the Phoenix a whole lot.  It finally dawned on me she is not a brawler...no way.  It was also the first ship I had with torps.  Got killed a bunch trying to set up a torpedo salvo when I did not really know what the hell I was doing.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

I personally check average XP/game in a specific type of ship to get an Idea o my opponents and I.

Average XP per account is as Irrelevant as Win rate because it can be manipulated by player mostly low or high tiers, or playing almost exclusively End-Game Aircraft carriers.

But if many BB players have a 600-800xp average, and I pull over 1000.  Hey not bad !

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

Very good.  Tks again.  Ya I got CREAMED in the Phoenix a whole lot.  It finally dawned on me she is not a brawler...no way.  It was also the first ship I had with torps.  Got killed a bunch trying to set up a torpedo salvo when I did not really know what the hell I was doing.

It is a bad temptation, despite the torpedoes the Phoenix is best hanging around at long range using its side gun placements to minimize its profile. Use the torpedoes only in emergencies or if you can make an approach from behind cover and have no better choice. Use its speed to maintain range and to put yourself in a position to make a difference, unlike St. Louis you have the mobility to react to changes in the game.

Don't show that broadside!

Beta Testers
659 posts
3,518 battles

Maybe tier3 is your skill level, or that kind of ship and playstyle. I was down to 47% and as soon as I got to 50% i got loss after loss. But now im at a steady 52%-53%, i Improved my gameplay i know that but also with the help of some ships i really enjoy playing. So i guess you should find your fun to play ships and that might help with your winrate

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Tks all of you.  Again winning is a thing for my own personal satisfaction.....I do not much give a crap what some others may think about it.  But for me winning is more fun than losing and to be even more honest no one else really much cares about your win rate unless they are pathological freaks who inhabit the realms of Wot.  You can no doubt tell I am not real keen on that game...lots of bad experiences, with some players, not all of course, but some.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Maybe tier3 is your skill level, or that kind of ship and playstyle. I was down to 47% and as soon as I got to 50% i got loss after loss. But now im at a steady 52%-53%, i Improved my gameplay i know that but also with the help of some ships i really enjoy playing. So i guess you should find your fun to play ships and that might help with your winrate

Yes.  Find the ships that work for you and play em.  St Louis works for me as does the Erie.  The lowest tiers can really be a dice roll however as to the teams you get.  Of course if ya can't do damage and kill in that scary monster behemoth St Louis you REALLY may have a problem.  Heh.  I do want to play some higher tiers.  I don't want to go up real high however.  I know my limitations.  In WoT the higher in tiers I got the less fun I seemed to have. I can really suck in that game!!!  I played mad a lot however over there.  The jerks just drove me crazy at times.  I think navy players are kinder and gentler....so it seems as for now but I am still real new.  Blabbing today. Got the day off.  Time on my hands.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

don't forget that no mm except by the ship tier means that to get even 50% one should make quite an effort because with such a system you are not protected from the good/best players and, suddenly, there is always a bigger chance that a good/best player will be on another team (the other team simply has more available slots, since you occupy one on your team); on a side note it also means that the chance to get a teamkiller on your team is lower than on the enemy team

it benefits only those good/best players who instead of playing vs other good/best players seal club the rest

That's part of low number of games too. You have decent players "seal clubbing" just because that's as high as they've gotten, especially if they're grinding multiple lines.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

the thing about some stats is difficult to actually understand... a good WR means that your team is working better and making it harder for the enemy to do its job....

I have a decent WR ( hghest I had was 56%) but my average XP is still in the red... mostly because of a Team mentality, while the I AM MY OWN SHIP mentality gets maybe a better exp rate and damage because you are more concerned about yourself than the team... you have a lower WR... NOT all but I see plots that way... and those that I see, I watch the way they play, and am not surprised........ this is more of a team game than tanks, and MORE a damage game than KILL... you get a ton more XP for doing 3/4 damage to a ship than the "kill stealer" that finished him off... and defense points matter too... but to think about yourself and your stats based on that aspect makes for more badly played games and bad teams.... After 500 Battles check your progress... after another 250, check again...

I am trying to focus on XP av... but being that I am supporting wins more than my stats for now, I will settle for the victories... and work on yolo later...
Survival rate is equally important, but again... if you survive but the team loses because the kittens went off alone in pairs rather than in tight grooups, or HID sa as not to get killed,,, you get a loss on points or a cap that could have EASILY been reset had that full health Wyoming came out from behind the island to pick off the half health Pheonix capping....

Stats, IMO, are important for one main reason really... to see how YOU are doing to yourself... but they are still important to other players for various reasons... (a couple know what some of those reasons are, and I am SURE will be expressed, LOL) But if you have a crappy WR in a ship, stop playing it, and don't complain about it... makes sense that you play your 58% ship, not the 34%....or watch a vid on it, and play it right/different...
Stats in tanks are used to ridicule players more than here... because HERE they mean nothing if you cant be a TEAM... and defeat the enemy... more cap losses here that in my tank experience... which means that surviving stats can be misleading...team work... that should be a stat..

Play hard and watch what ships are better and play them more... but the ships you want to get better in.... THOSE are the ones I feel you should play even more!!
ASK how someone plays them that has a higher win rate.... watch a video of Claus in the Pheonix.... you will learn to play it better if you suck in it, I guarantee it...
Watch him in the Omaha... and why you will love that ship after the Pheonix....
If you cant get better after trying a different tactic in it, move on.... come back later...

Your stats will be much better if you learn a different way to play a bad stat ship////.. but ASK... and learn,....
And don't focus on killing,,, focus on winning for WR
Focus on damage more, but still on team play, to get more damage and XP if you want that stat up....
NEVER leave the TEAM dynamic, but yet still improve the stat you feel you want to....

EVERYONE will look at your stats for some reason, they are there for to be seen.... it is nothing personal when they do... unless they have GOOD reason to make it known you should be not talking about something you don't know about, OR pointing out what you can do to improve a stat you should work on....
tanks..... more toxic..... that is why I have not played in months....

Most here will help you.. most are opinions on playing a ship based on the way they play it.. if it is different than the way you play it, try their way...
MY biggest pet peeve is someone talking about a ship they do not play, either at ALL, or played less than 50 times.... even my crappy ships get played now and then... to try something different... and when it starts working better... that ship will see much more water time....
You will get better... I promise....

Edited by pmgaudio

Beta Testers
2,196 posts

Yes.  Find the ships that work for you and play em.  St Louis works for me as does the Erie.  The lowest tiers can really be a dice roll however as to the teams you get.  Of course if ya can't do damage and kill in that scary monster behemoth St Louis you REALLY may have a problem.  Heh.  I do want to play some higher tiers.  I don't want to go up real high however.  I know my limitations.  In WoT the higher in tiers I got the less fun I seemed to have. I can really suck in that game!!!  I played mad a lot however over there.  The jerks just drove me crazy at times.  I think navy players are kinder and gentler....so it seems as for now but I am still real new.  Blabbing today. Got the day off.  Time on my hands.

The only real important thing is to enjoy yourself. If you want some pointers, iChase probably has the most helpful video series. If you want to tier up without going high enough for games to become a bit like more of a chore, tiers 5-7 is roughly where you will find the best games (and best players). As for the attitude of the player base... Unfortunately, you will see some rather poor examples of humanity no matter where you go these days. A lack of accountability will corrupt most people. Still, if you want to team up, I'm always more than happy to help out. Just don't be offended if I'm already in a division. Turns out, I made that offer to too many people. I'm only one man and divisions can only contain three people in total. 

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Tks.  I have got the Omaha now but I am taking things slow.  I put myself in the Phoenix way too early in my naval career and paid the price. She is a rather fragile ship and as I said as for now I got her just sitting.  The Erie and the St Louis have been ok.  The St Louis is a monster in her tier.  Fun.  Slow however....gotta watch out for the torps in her.

I think it's because cruisers after St. Louis require a completely different play style. St. Louis plays kind of like a mini-BB in terms of speed and armor - pretty slow, not very maneuverable, and fairly well armored for a cruiser. Cruisers after that are much faster, more agile, but have no armor to speak of. So, you have to rely on your movement for survival. I had a hard time with Phoenix myself, then got Omaha and liked it so much that I kept it. Not sure if it was the ship itself or just me finally figuring out what to do with a normal cruiser.

Sign in to follow this