You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Niteroi

Players with unreal accuracy

39 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
389 battles

How are some players achieving near perfect accuracy where almost every round from every salvo hits.   Most players splash many rounds near an enemy even though they placed their shot well.  This is due to things like dispersion ratings and RNG rolls.  But in some matches you will see people dominate a match by outperforming their ship's statistics. Can the impact of a well trained commander be that pronounced?  I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges here, I know that some ships have much better or worse accuracy than average.  I've seen players sink multiple ships without any splashes in their salvos. These also tend to have high rates of critical hits. 

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

An extremely skilled Kongo will almost always beat a very bad Nagato, and so on. Some people are unreal at aiming as they've been here since CAT/CBT, and some just get good hits in the right places.

It's not cheating, exploiting, hacking(AKA a felony), or anything nefarious. 

Edited by ShermanMedium

Banned
3,836 posts

How are some players achieving near perfect accuracy where almost every round from every salvo hits.   Most players splash many rounds near an enemy even though they placed their shot well.  This is due to things like dispersion ratings and RNG rolls.  But in some matches you will see people dominate a match by outperforming their ship's statistics. Can the impact of a well trained commander be that pronounced?  I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges here, I know that some ships have much better or worse accuracy than average.  I've seen players sink multiple ships without any splashes in their salvos. These also tend to have high rates of critical hits. 

LOL

ok RNG means you'll always miss shots

but most people who have been in game since beta are used to leading shots.

and honestly. i RARELY see people zigzag.   so leading shots is insanely easy.

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,293 posts
12,457 battles

Learn the speeds of ships and how much that speed translates to lead at multiple distances and you can go West Virginia mode on people.

[O_O]
Members
7,893 posts
22,061 battles

Learning how to lead ships is not something that comes overnight.  A hundred or (sometimes many) more may be required, and some will just never get it.  It is an art...one I haven't mastered yet.  There are factors you have to determine...how fast is your target moving; is he angling toward you or away from you; is he turning and if so, where should I guess his turn will put him when my shells arrive; and how long does it take my shots to get to him.

If you get hits, how much damage you do again has to do with his angle to you and what type of ammo you are using.  Where to aim and what ammo to use is not a simple equation...there are numerous factors that go into it.  Some are good at it and seem to cause high damage quickly.  Others aren't so good and melt their barrels while landing few hits and doing little damage.

Learn from your hits and misses.  If you don't you will never improve.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
434 posts
5,376 battles

Let me tell you a brief anecdote about perception of accuracy.

Once I was in a low-tier match with a buddy of mine, helping him grind up whatever ship he was on. I think I was in my St. Louis. I'm pretty decent at aiming, and I managed some pretty good salvos on some guy that ended up killing him. Probably a third to half of the shells I fired at him ended up missing, despite the fact that my aim was on target. Immediately he started saying "nice hacks", "no way are you so good that you never miss any shells".

See what I'm getting at? I probably had a 30-40% hit rate for that entire battle, but to someone watching from the outside, it seemed like none of my shells missed.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,639 battles

Learning how to lead ships is not something that comes overnight.  A hundred or (sometimes many) more may be required, and some will just never get it.  It is an art...one I haven't mastered yet.  There are factors you have to determine...how fast is your target moving; is he angling toward you or away from you; is he turning and if so, where should I guess his turn will put him when my shells arrive; and how long does it take my shots to get to him.

If you get hits, how much damage you do again has to do with his angle to you and what type of ammo you are using.  Where to aim and what ammo to use is not a simple equation...there are numerous factors that go into it.  Some are good at it and seem to cause high damage quickly.  Others aren't so good and melt their barrels while landing few hits and doing little damage.

Learn from your hits and misses.  If you don't you will never improve.

Sorry, but it's NOT all that difficult.  Watch the above youtube clips, apply the lessons therein, and your accuracy should go up significantly.

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
389 battles

Good advice. I am also learning that a ship like my Myogi or Kawachi is going to miss a lot even if I aim well.  But, I need to put those rounds in the right place and be patient with the guns dispersion ratings. I probably should have spent more time with cruisers before I tried the Japanese BB line. As you can tell by my question, I am still inexperienced. 

[-BWS]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
13,817 battles

So the night before last I took out the Hermlien, Tier One German Cruiser.

I have a 10 point captain on her and got 2 kills and a boat load of damage.

The guy I killed first stuck around and watched how I killed his buddy, I saw where he was going cause the guy could only go through a channel. So on the 2nd guy I put a lob of shells in there and took about a third of him down, when he came out I hit him again and turned, then he fired and my third round got em ...dead. Point being I had some experience. But experience does not help all the time...a hack will be obvious when somebody has it.

Edited by StingRayOne

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

An extremely skilled Kongo will almost always beat a very bad Nagato, and so on. Some people are unreal at aiming as they've been here since CAT/CBT, and some just get good hits in the right places.

It's not cheating, exploiting, hacking(AKA a felony), or anything nefarious. 

I've done that. Ran into a poor NC player in my Fuso, thanks to advanced planning, angling and proper shot placement, I walked away with 75 percent of my health and 3 citadels. 

Members
28 posts
623 battles

I used to think so too till I got better and start doing Citadel on a regular basis and even manage to one/two shot a few CAs and DDs with AP rounds.

Edited by Wiz33

[GSKUL]
Alpha Tester
340 posts

If I'm in a BB whose gun's I'm moderately used to (and not a North Carolina, never got used to how slow those shells were) I can hit about anyone at any range if they don't turn, and I can hit cruisers who maintain a turn at about 12km (maybe 13 or 14) and DDs at 8km (I have hit a DD at 9+km before, but that's just sad on the part of the DD) All with just good old Kentucky windage. Some of it is skill, some of it is just practice. Cruiser guns are more difficult for me partly because they are flat out slower and partly because i don't play them too much. 

Members
185 posts
2,427 battles

I'm not seeing any specifics. Range, shooter's ship, and target ship all have a lot to say about things. My Pensacola has had salvos where 10/10 shells hit, or when 6/10 are citadels. Fairly close range with a cruiser packing the accuracy upgrade can go that way. If it were my stock Kongo at 19km+, that'd be entirely different.

Beta Testers
261 posts
1,889 battles

Translation: A guy who has better aim than me hit me, he must be cheating... Is he cheating?

Members
3 posts
389 battles

If you read carefully you saw that I was more interested in whether my commander could boost my accuracy that much.  I said nothing about cheating, which is really hard to do in this kind of game. 

• Cool 2

Members
28 posts
623 battles

Good advice. I am also learning that a ship like my Myogi or Kawachi is going to miss a lot even if I aim well.  But, I need to put those rounds in the right place and be patient with the guns dispersion ratings. I probably should have spent more time with cruisers before I tried the Japanese BB line. As you can tell by my question, I am still inexperienced. 

A Myogi have a large citadel area. You should have some Flags by now so mount the Juliet Charlie Flag to protect you from magazine detonation. and watch this 2 too.

Well actually, all his Captain's Academy Video is worth a watch.

Edited by Wiz33

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Without a replay, no real opinion can be rendered. Since all the shot data is tracked, it seems like someone using a bot would be pretty obvious to any decent cheat routine.

Beta Testers
261 posts
1,889 battles

If you read carefully you saw that I was more interested in whether my commander could boost my accuracy that much.  I said nothing about cheating, which is really hard to do in this kind of game. 

Did you see any captain skills that said would increase your accuracy? Or did you not look?

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles

Its a lot easier to hit someone with a cruiser than a BB(which is why I don't play cruisers) and I don't know which class OP is assuming the 'cheaters' are on.

[GSKUL]
Alpha Tester
340 posts

Its a lot easier to hit someone with a cruiser than a BB(which is why I don't play cruisers) and I don't know which class OP is assuming the 'cheaters' are on.

Interesting. I find it easier to hit things with a BB than a cruiser. Cruisers just get many more chances to hit something. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,144 posts
22,102 battles

If I'm in a BB whose gun's I'm moderately used to (and not a North Carolina, never got used to how slow those shells were) I can hit about anyone at any range if they don't turn, and I can hit cruisers who maintain a turn at about 12km (maybe 13 or 14) and DDs at 8km (I have hit a DD at 9+km before, but that's just sad on the part of the DD) All with just good old Kentucky windage. Some of it is skill, some of it is just practice. Cruiser guns are more difficult for me partly because they are flat out slower and partly because i don't play them too much. 

It took about 75 battles to get the North Carolina working for me.  I think it is the ranges at which high tier battles are fought at during the early stages of the game contributed to the difficulty.