Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gunnyhighway1

Torpedo speed

17 comments in this topic

[TNP]
Beta Testers
105 posts
17,164 battles

I haven't read in the last patches notes that the torpedo speed was decreased for the Japanese DD's, yet it has been.

I was wondering why such a change was made.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

I haven't read in the last patches notes that the torpedo speed was decreased for the Japanese DD's, yet it has been.

I was wondering why such a change was made.

On which ships?

Members
87 posts
2,446 battles

My Minekaze has 68 knot torps...   Weren't they 64 before?   I don't know.

Anyway, yeah, which ships?

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,926 battles

Minekaze used to have the 10km Type8 torpedoes as a lateral upgrade from the Type 92s, so she used to have the option of slower torpedoes. That's the only recent-ish change I'm aware of for that ship.

[TNP]
Beta Testers
105 posts
17,164 battles

In all the Tier II to Tier V Japanese DD's.

This is not the speed written in the specs that alarmed me as It can remain the same or not, there is no way to measure accurately the speed of the torpedoes in the game.

Before the patch when I would aim for a target the computer would not lead much in reference to the distance to the target since the speed was high.

Now the computer is leading much more than before for the same distance because the torpedo Is slower, more lead is necessary.

I did not record the US and Japanese torpedo speed in the game before the patch. I have read that they increased the distance that the US torpedo would cover and to do so, they might have decreased the speed, then to even things out, they might have also decreased the torpedo speed on the Japanese Torpedoes without increasing the distance they cover.

But, I know that I haven't changed the way I played overnight because of a new patch. The torpedo speed has decreased.

Edited by gunnyhighway1

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,926 battles

This is not the speed written in the specs that alarmed me as It can remain the same or not, there is no way to measure accurately the speed of the torpedoes in the game.

Before the patch when I would aim for a target the computer would not lead much in reference to the distance to the target since the speed was high.

Now the computer is leading much more than before for the same distance because the torpedo Is slower, more lead is necessary.

I did not record the US and Japanese torpedo speed in the game before the patch. I have read that they increased the distance that the US torpedo would cover and to do so, they might have decreased the speed, then to even things out, they might have also decreased the torpedo speed on the Japanese Torpedoes without increasing the distance they cover.

But, I know that I haven't changed the way I played overnight because of a new patch. The torpedo speed has decreased.

Do you literally mean overnight? Because I timed the torpedo run time for the Gremyashchy recently (see here). Her 55kn torpedoes travelled their 8km range in 55 seconds. I see you've got a Gremlin yourself; you could take her for a spin in co-op and time it, or watch the replay after a PvP match assuming you had opportunity to let a torpedo reach its full range and stop. Personally, I suspect nothing has changed. I haven't noticed a difference.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Basically, what you're saying is from generally looking at the lead indicator, you're maybe thinking that something changed...

Members
4,886 posts

Do you literally mean overnight? Because I timed the torpedo run time for the Gremyashchy recently (see here). Her 55kn torpedoes travelled their 8km range in 55 seconds. 

that's 8000/55 = 145.45 m/s *3.6 = 523.62 km/h /1.8 = 290.9kn :3

gremy has 291kn torpedoes, mew

tbh i don't think anything changed too

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,926 battles

that's 8000/55 = 145.45 m/s *3.6 = 523.62 km/h /1.8 = 290.9kn :3

gremy has 291kn torpedoes, mew

tbh i don't think anything changed too

Indeed it is!

An interesting side note is that, given the torpedoes travel their "8" kilometres in 55 seconds, if we take distance and time to be correct then speed is scaled such that these nominally 55kn (102km/h) torpedoes are actually moving at about 283kn (524km/h). If that's got your interest, the reasons for it were more or less discussed here.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

The speed of torpedoes and ships given is compressed. They go substantially faster than that number would indicate in game. I was in a battle once with my buddy, we were both in the New Mexico and spawned at opposite sides of the base, and we were so far apart, that if I went at 1/2 speed and he went full speed, if the speeds and distances were accurate, it would have taken him 15 minutes to link up we me, and we'd only have been about 2 squares out of the spawn. Torps on the Shimekaze would run for 9 minutes lol.

[TNP]
Beta Testers
105 posts
17,164 battles

Basically, what you're saying is from generally looking at the lead indicator, you're maybe thinking that something changed...

Yes, as the lead indicator is leading more now for a similar game play.

Hence, if it leads more, since the game play is similar, then the torp speed is slower or ships are faster. No indication of changing speed for ships.

Yet reading your comments, there might be more to it.

Nevertheless, interesting information.

Thank you guys and girls.

Edited by gunnyhighway1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Yes, as the lead indicator is leading more now for a similar game play.

Hence, if it leads more, since the game play is similar, then the torp speed is slower or ships are faster. No indication of changing speed for ships.

Yet reading your comments, there might be more to it.

Nevertheless, interesting information.

Thank you guys and girls.

You do realize that going, "Things seem vaguely different from a while ago" is probably just confirmation bias. 

[TNP]
Beta Testers
105 posts
17,164 battles

Gee, is that your interpretation of my post?....

Why would I change a procedure that has been successful to me?...I don't fix what is not broken.

I'll put a round through a flea's [edited]at 100 yards, I have an eye for it.

If something changes, I notice it.

I have no biased against a patch.

Thanks for the help.

Beta Testers
1,156 posts

You do realize that going, "Things seem vaguely different from a while ago" is probably just confirmation bias. 

True, but these kinds of undocumented stealth nerfs are pretty common for Wargaming.  I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

True, but these kinds of undocumented stealth nerfs are pretty common for Wargaming.  I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

I wouldn't be either, but honestly, I'm eminently skeptical of people coming in and saying "I've got a feeling." Hell I just spent 5 minutes laughing at a guy from the EU server who claimed to have randomly gotten on the wrong forum, then created a duplicate account to post, and talk about how he had feelings about the New Mexico being unable to do damage, but the guy has like 60,000 average damage in the ship. I don't trust the argument of "before, things generally felt different."

[WALLY]
Beta Testers
1,413 posts
1,450 battles

Anyway, yeah, which ships?

Minekaze has had the 7km 68kt torps for a long time.  They're actually the best ones as they are very difficult to avoid....
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Minekaze has had the 7km 68kt torps for a long time.  They're actually the best ones as they are very difficult to avoid....

Yeah the Minekaze nerf was about as gentle a nerf as possible. Bumped up spotting range by 300m. You slap camo paint on it and it went down by 300m again. Really changed the gameplay there. Then they made the guns a tiny bit less crap, which really hurt the ship, and lastly, they forced people to use the better of the 2 torpedo choices. Again, really devastating on the ship's lethality lol.

Sign in to follow this