Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
campb2e

GERMAN CRUISER DRIVER IN NEED OF HELP!!!

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
24 posts
2,389 battles

Hi all.

I would like to ask for some help with the German line.  I have been in the game since CBT and have played a fair mix of all the ship types.  I love to play the Cruiser line most of all, and this is where I am focused since the game launched, but I have to say I am not feeling the German line.  

My problem is not the lack of agility/maneuverability but my lack of damage generation with all types of ammo.  I am only to lvl 5 and free xp'd my way there, ill admit that up front, as well as I only have a handful of games in tier 4 and 5.  But that should not have any bearing on what I am percieving to be my issue.

IMO the damage these ships generate at this level is far less than stellar.  I cant see why I am having issues getting damage out of HE shells on ships my level or lower.  I was in a division with a clan mate last night and he was surprised to see as well how little effect I had and how much his destroyer HE outperformed mine.   I would say off the top of my head I avg 1400 -1500xp per battle with cruisers above tier 6, so I kinda know how to use AP and hit citadels and HE to light superstructure on fire, but it just doesn't seem to happen with German guns.

I was hitting 5 for 5 with every salvo for a whil in a close quater battle and can honestly say I never dealt more than 530 damage at anyone time...HE or AP (will admit though that the citadels were a little like G spots last night and wasnt finding them in the lower tiers) 

So my question is what can I do different to generate more damage with these guns?  Are they so drastically different from the USN and IJN that I am just missing something?  

Thanks,

Camp

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

shoot AP

The AP is so effective on Konigsberg, that you can even shoot it at DDs and it'll still take a chunk of HP off of them.

• Cool 1

Members
341 posts
1,820 battles

Well finding the citadel is always key. You got to figure it out for each class and then remember it. Aiming at the water line is always a good idea for this.

But its also important to remember that each nations cruiser play different. You might have to change your play style with the Germans. Move to a more support role for battleship targeting other BBs with HE and keeping DDs away.

[_CIA_]
Members
371 posts
5,428 battles

Compare a German Kolberg to a St. Louis for example. The St. Louis does more damage, BUT...the German cruiser fires at twice the rate or more. Advantage goes to whom? That way for most of German lower tier. I am loving the German line especially for that reason. Don't get me wrong, love my American cruisers the same, but for other reasons.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,450 battles

AP overpens will do better than HE on soft targets, and unlike HE, AP overpens never saturate. Let your buddies fire HE.

[-S-C-]
Beta Testers
140 posts
6,579 battles
I have to agree with the OP.  I have been playing since CBT, and when open came out I saved my exp specifically for the German Cruiser line.  I have played the Konig (which was decent with damage) and I currently have a fully upgraded Nurnberg and Hipper.  Both of the latter ships when using AP still resorts in less damage than should be happening.  Not to mention the learning curve on aiming because of the arc is a major pain.  I don't hardly even use HE anymore simply because it has very very low damage.  In my opinion these ships are more fragile than the NO and Balt with less AP damage.  Getting very frustrated at the moment because it cost money to run the Hipper because I cant get the damage to justify the cost. 

[NGA-A]
Members
99 posts
7,721 battles

The previous responders with the advise of shooting AP might be the best advice any could give that will make an impact.

Pity that you passed up playing the Tier's 2 and 3. 

[-S-C-]
Beta Testers
140 posts
6,579 battles

As I said I use only AP now, still not a ton of difference from damage output than with HE.  This is at tier 6 and 8.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I'm not sure about the T6 and 8 german cruisers, but I was landing multiple 1500~3500 hits against New York, New Mexico and Colorado with my Konigsberg. I ended up with over 60k in AP damage for the game, yet I only scored 4 citadel hits against cruisers.

[-VT-]
-Members-
331 posts
12,599 battles

I've been using AP on my German CA's. Works a lot better! Remember though to be careful even though at T5 you can dish out pretty good damage with AP your citadels are very exposed. I've got some videos on my channel about this. Hope they help.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,528 posts
28,456 battles

I wonder if the higher shell velocity is causing more overpens, therefore less damage...

I can't offer much advice just yet, though - still at tier 3...

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

You still need to fire a mix of HE and AP, one thing to note is that with the faster shells and lower arc you will have a hard time landing shells on the deck to do good HE damage unless you are a fair distance away (and you should be against battleships). Against other cruisers a good shot with AP can ruin them though again with the different arc it may be hard to hit citadels that sit low in the ship if you are somewhat close, really have to shoot right at the waterline.

The Konigsberg is quite capable of putting out a lot of damage but you need to stay alive and keep those guns firing for quite awhile to do it.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
68 posts

Yeah I feel your pain, just finished a game in the Kolberg, 58 hits (mostly on 2 battleships) all with HE, 2 fires (ok that's about average), 3715 HE damage.  That's approximately 64 damage per hit....

Beta Testers
24 posts
2,389 battles

Thanks folks.

I am gonna keep trying to mix it up but lead with the AP as opposed to the HE.  With time I am sure that I will figure out the characteristics of these guns to make the best use of them.  I am glad to hear that for the majority of the respondents I am not the only one having this type of issue.

Ill repost if I cant get it right in the next 50 battles!

Thanks,

Camp

Members
100 posts
5,479 battles

The tier 3 Kolberg can land hits but the damage is paltry    54 hits with HE 9582 damage   32  hits with AP 2588 damage only 9 penetrated   Yes AP does better WHEN in it penetrates you figure 35% of shells will bounce and no I was not firing AP at BBs

Hope the tier 4 and 5 get better cause cant say much for Dresden or Kolberg

Sign in to follow this