Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MikeCMyers

So what exactly is the Hindenburg based off of?

21 comments in this topic

[JEDI-]
Beta Testers
511 posts
4,816 battles

I've been digging the net for a little while now, and I cannot find any information of the Hindenburg class. Is it a completely fake ship that WG just threw together, or was it actually based off of an actual plan? If it's a fake ship, that makes me kind of sad considering they could have put in the Panzerschiffes (Deutschland, P-Project) at the end of the line to make a very rewarding ship tree. From all the information I've come up with now, the Roon and Hindenburg appear to be completely made up.

[CMFRT]
Alpha Tester
9,364 posts
26 battles

If it's a fake ship, that makes me kind of sad considering they could have put in the Panzerschiffes (Deutschland, P-Project) at the end of the line to make a very rewarding ship tree. 

You need to wake up from that dream.

• Cool 2

[JEDI-]
Beta Testers
511 posts
4,816 battles

You do a very good job at posting useless content. Care to elaborate instead of making another worthless post?

Members
10 posts
1,320 battles
google sms Hindenburg. its on the wiki (not the wwi one, but the other is on there somewhere)
Edited by Venatrum

[JEDI-]
Beta Testers
511 posts
4,816 battles

google sms Hindenburg. its on the wiki

Yeah I saw that, but historically the Hidenburg was a WW1 Derfflinger class battlecruiser. It also carried 8x 12" guns instead of the 12x 8"ers seen in game. Just doesn't make much sense to me, considering we will likely see the Derfflinger class in game once the BB line is finished.

[CMFRT]
Alpha Tester
9,364 posts
26 battles

You do a very good job at posting useless content. Care to elaborate instead of making another worthless post?

I'm always relevant.

The idea of putting the armored ships as top tier cruisers is a pipe dream.

As for the ship itself: It's basically a larger Hipper that uses paper plan triple turret. The general idea is fictional, but the elements have actually been planned out.

• Cool 2

[JEDI-]
Beta Testers
511 posts
4,816 battles

The idea of putting the armored ships as top tier cruisers is a pipe dream.

And why is that? Where would they seem fit in your opinion? You can't do a complete Panzerschiffe line considering as far as I know, there was only the Deutschland class, P-Project, and the D-project. I see semi fast reloading 11" guns competent at the top tiers vs. what we already have now. If they were put any lower, I see a massive balance issue in the making. This is based off gameplay, not realism.

Beta Testers
101 posts
299 battles

Didn't the Deutschland have horrible armor and speed? I mean yeah it had big guns but only 6 of them.

Don't think it would do good at all.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

google sms Hindenburg. its on the wiki (not the wwi one, but the other is on there somewhere)

SMS Hindenburg, and SMS Roon are totally different ships. If you googled them and read about their characteristics, you should know this.

Didn't the Deutschland have horrible armor and speed? I mean yeah it had big guns but only 6 of them.

Don't think it would do good at all.

The Deutschlands basically had light armor, enough (IIRC) to pretty comfortably engage light cruisers without too much fear, and the speed to run from battleships. In concept, they were essentially very very similar to a British battlecruiser of WWI. Large enough guns to pummel any cruiser to death, tough enough to take the cruiser return fire, and fast enough to escape anything they couldn't outgun. That was the idea, but the engines were notoriously unreliable.

And why is that? Where would they seem fit in your opinion? You can't do a complete Panzerschiffe line considering as far as I know, there was only the Deutschland class, P-Project, and the D-project. I see semi fast reloading 11" guns competent at the top tiers vs. what we already have now. If they were put any lower, I see a massive balance issue in the making. This is based off gameplay, not realism.

Looking at their characteristics, it's pretty likely they will end up in the battleship tree (the precedent is there for battlecruisers in as BBs), probably around tier 5 or so. Personally, I hope Germany and Britian get a dedicated battlecruiser tree with the Deutschland class in around the t5/6 mark.

Beta Testers
286 posts
958 battles

It could've been worse, really.

They could've given a D-class cruiser as the tier X.

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

Those ships would be suited to a battlecruiser line, because that's basically what they were. Putting them at the top of the tree is like what WG were initially going to possibly do with the Agano-class as the tier 10 of the IJN DD line. Just because they were seen as cruiserish by the Germans doesn't mean they should be cruisers.

Members
10 posts
1,320 battles

SMS Hindenburg, and SMS Roon are totally different ships. If you googled them and read about their characteristics, you should know this.

The Deutschlands basically had light armor, enough (IIRC) to pretty comfortably engage light cruisers without too much fear, and the speed to run from battleships. In concept, they were essentially very very similar to a British battlecruiser of WWI. Large enough guns to pummel any cruiser to death, tough enough to take the cruiser return fire, and fast enough to escape anything they couldn't outgun. That was the idea, but the engines were notoriously unreliable.

Looking at their characteristics, it's pretty likely they will end up in the battleship tree (the precedent is there for battlecruisers in as BBs), probably around tier 5 or so. Personally, I hope Germany and Britian get a dedicated battlecruiser tree with the Deutschland class in around the t5/6 mark.

actually I found a link to the plan for a newer ship with the name after searching and reading about one. that is why I edited my post to say it was on there somewhere

Edit: I found it again, it was was the h39 and was a BB plan, my bad. I knew I saw the name at least lol

Edited by Venatrum

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

actually I found a link to the plan for a newer ship with the name after searching and reading about one. that is why I edited my post to say it was on there somewhere

Edit: I found it again, it was was the h39 and was a BB plan, my bad. I knew I saw the name at least lol

If you see plans for a Kreigsmarine ship that has a name, the name is speculation. They didn't name their ships in the early phases of design and conceptualization. That's why you have ships like the H Classes. If I recall, they actually laid down at least 1 of those ships, but never gave them official names.

Alpha Tester
4,302 posts
7,932 battles

Hindenburg is, AFAIK, completely fake. As for the 11" ships, I'm less than certain that they couldn't be made to work as cruisers. They're not materially significantly more armored or larger than the heavy cruisers we already have at tier IX/X, and while they have more penetration by a significant amount, they also have fewer barrels and lower rates of fire. 

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

Those ships would be suited to a battlecruiser line, because that's basically what they were.

The German battlecruisers sacrificed armament to retain good armor and speed.  If you call the Deutschlands battlecruisers, then they've got ok speed, horrible armor, and poor armament, with the displacement of a Cleveland.  Their armor is worse than many cruisers that are in this game.  They're interesting ships, but they're inferior to every actual German battlecruiser from World War 1.  There are enough WW1 German battlecruisers and designs to flesh out a complete and interesting tech tree.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Deutschlands make it into the game somehow.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

The German battlecruisers sacrificed armament to retain good armor and speed.  If you call the Deutschlands battlecruisers, then they've got ok speed, horrible armor, and poor armament, with the displacement of a Cleveland.  Their armor is worse than many cruisers that are in this game.  They're interesting ships, but they're inferior to every actual German battlecruiser from World War 1.  There are enough WW1 German battlecruisers and designs to flesh out a complete and interesting tech tree.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Deutschlands make it into the game somehow.

Yeah one day when I was bored, I just theory crafted a German BB and BC tree (cause really, who hasn't done that sort of thing) and I had a weird jump where I went from the Derfflinger to the Deutschland to the Mackensen, then the the Scharnhorst :P

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

The turrets that the Roon and Hindenburg have are real, along with the AA guns. The ships themselves are fake.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

Just fyi.

The Deutchland would be a terrible TIX or TX ship, it has the armor of a heavy cruiser. While it'd have 6 (effectively T5 guns) Guns of large Caliber, you are better off with 8" Guns that fire faster for a Cruiser.

They aren't Battle-cruisers, a Battle-Cruiser would look at a Pocket battleship and the Pocket Battleship would explode because the level of protection, just to give you an idea.

Belt on the Deutchland=80mm.

Belt on say..the Lutzow=300mm 

Not even in the realm of the 'same'

Edited by Sakuzhi

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

Just fyi.

The Deutchland would be a terrible TIX or TX ship, it has the armor of a heavy cruiser. While it'd have 6 (effectively T5 guns) Guns of large Caliber, you are better off with 8" Guns that fire faster for a Cruiser.

They aren't Battle-cruisers, a Battle-Cruiser would look at a Pocket battleship and the Pocket Battleship would explode because the level of protection, just to give you an idea.

Belt on the Deutchland=80mm.

Belt on say..the Lutzow=300mm 

Not even in the realm of the 'same'

Here were my ideas for the Panzerschiffe tree:

Tier 5: Blucher

Tier 6: Deutschland(with gun and speed upgrades, no worries)

Tier 7: D

Tier 8: P

Tier 9: Semi-fake/fake Q/R (9 11")

Tier 10: Fake S (12 11")

Sign in to follow this