Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rion12

Does Angling Reduce Torp Damage?

27 comments in this topic

Members
2,072 posts
2,712 battles

This one is just something I've been wondering.

For the sake of this question, let's just assume that there's only one torpedo headed towards my ship (and let's just say, for the sake of argument, that it can't be avoided). In this case, would I be able to reduce the damage if I were to position my ship so that the torpedo strikes it at an angle as opposed to a straight broadside hit?

Alpha Tester
2,599 posts
5,205 battles

Sort of.

I can't confirm this but if a torp hits the "meaty" bit of my torpedo bulge, I swear I take less damage and have a lower flooding chance.

Again this is from experience and trial and error. 

Beta Testers
148 posts
1,717 battles

I know I have both fired torps and been hit by some heading straight into them and sometimes they cause little to no damage. 

Or I could have just been seeing things.

[NAV]
Beta Testers
82 posts
5,343 battles

The heavier your torpedo belt armor is, the more reduction in damage you take.  I've never seen a torpedo do more than 6k dmg to my Warspite when I know they are capable of doing 11-15k full damage.

Banned
3,836 posts

no.

when it coems to torps. it matters WHERE it hits.

being angled means you'll get hit by less of the torp spread.

but when torps hit you, dmg done is determined by where it hits

the bow and aft are weak. and take full dmg with a higher chance of flooding (cause your bow is blown off. or aft is flattened)

the center of your ship has a torpedo belt that reduces dmg, sometimes by all.   it also has a lower flooding chance.

the challenge, is to angle enough to avoid as many torps as you can.  while letting any torps that do hit hit your center.

this is for BBs and some cruisers.

some crusiers and most DDs lack torp belts. aka it wont matter where it hits.  (hi Atlanta and DDs....seems to be light cruisers have weak to no torp belt)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

You should ideally be angled to present the narrowest profile of your ship so that less of the spread has a chance of hitting in the first place.  If a torpedo does hit you, I don't think damage is determined from the angle of impact, (like the penetration of a shell) rather it depends on the ship's torpedo belt layout and where along that the hit takes place.

Edit: dammit, ninja'd again.

Edited by DoomStomper

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

Sort of.

I can't confirm this but if a torp hits the "meaty" bit of my torpedo bulge, I swear I take less damage and have a lower flooding chance.

Again this is from experience and trial and error. 

torp bulges are supposed to reduce torp damage by 1/2

but this isn't a function of angling

Banned
3,836 posts

You should ideally be angled to present the narrowest profile of your ship so that less of the spread has a chance of hitting in the first place.  If a torpedo does hit you, I don't think damage is determined from the angle of impact, (like the penetration of a shell) rather it depends on the ship's torpedo belt layout and where along that the hit takes place.

Edit: dammit, ninja'd again.

MUAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHA

ninja supreme >=D

Alpha Tester
2,599 posts
5,205 battles

torp bulges are supposed to reduce torp damage by 1/2

but this isn't a function of angling

I meant its not necessarily angling as much as getting hit in the "right" place. GIVEN being hit by a torp is never a good thing

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I remember there being a "maximum" amount of damage you can sustain in one part of the ship. So if you take repeated hits in the same part of the ship, the damage goes down to zero, because that section has no more HP.

[TCAL]
Members
1,227 posts
12,840 battles

some crusiers and most DDs lack torp belts. aka it wont matter where it hits.  (hi Atlanta and DDs....seems to be light cruisers have weak to no torp belt)

The Japanese Navy did tests and determined that a ship needed a large expansion space to make a torpedo bulkhead fully effective (about 5 meters). Smaller ships such as the Kuma had insufficient beam to allow a useful torpedo bulkhead. For instance, the Oyodo, with its maximum beam of 16.6 meters was too narrow to have one.

Banned
3,836 posts

The Japanese Navy did tests and determined that a ship needed a large expansion space to make a torpedo bulkhead fully effective (about 5 meters). Smaller ships such as the Kuma had insufficient beam to allow a useful torpedo bulkhead. For instance, the Oyodo, with its maximum beam of 16.6 meters was too narrow to have one.

that explains alot when you look at how wide US BBs from the atlantic are.

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,383 posts
29,431 battles

Some battleships can take a torp hit and get no flood damage by angeling.

Edited by dEsTurbed1

Members
1,054 posts
11,054 battles

The angle the torpedo strikes has no influence on anything.

Its classified as a hit or not a hit.

Where the torpedo hits the ship (location) has an impact (no pun intended).

There is a good post on damage and how it works for ships http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/41728-dealing-damage-in-wows/

The ship is broken down into sections.  Each section has a hitpoint/health pool.  The middle section is where the ship will never deplete its health pool when hit.

Once XXX amt of damage has been to done to a section of a ship.  It will produce very low to no damage to those areas when hit.

This involves shell and torpedo hits. The way to get an idea of how depleted the hitpoint pool is for a ship section.. is color.  Darker to blackened sections of a ship have had the most damage.

I once took 3 aerial torpedo hits in a DD directly on the nose of my ship and survived barely.

1.  Aerial torpedoes (avg 5-6k of actual damage) do less damage than most ship launched torpedoes (avg10-14k of actual damage).  So damage is done in smaller increments. Depleting the hit points for that section along with the weird damage reduction tables for DDs.

2.  If I would took 2 torpedo hits to the midsection or in  2 different sections.  I would have surely sunk before the 3rd hit.

3.  Certain ships have more hitpoints health per section and would have made no impact on outcomes  (i.e. BBs).  There is more detailed info in the link I submitted.

Flooding/Damage/Fire is different by ship/class/Ship Commander/upgrade modifiers and RNG

Once again.  Based on what developers have posted.  The torpedo angle of the hit has zero influence on damage/flooding.

Edited by StrikeTalon

Members
2,072 posts
2,712 battles

Ah, interesting.

So torpedoes are entirely dependent on where they hit as opposed to how.

I guess it's time to start studying the locations of torp belts.

StrikeTalon, thanks for that link. I'll take a good look at it when I find the time (translated: when my midterm exam is done tomorrow). :honoring:

[TCAL]
Members
1,227 posts
12,840 battles

Torpedoes don't penetrate a ship's armor before exploding, in fact, those with magnetic triggers may explode before even touching the ship. Being under water explosions, the surrounding water resisting the explosion enhances the damage to the ship, just like a near miss with a large general purpose (HE) bomb or shell did in real life.

That is why the angle makes no difference.

p.s. Torp belts usually covered the center 2/3rds of a ship (plus or minus).

Edited by DarthDon49

Alpha Tester
4,302 posts
7,932 battles

While the very front of your ship doesn't have any torpedo protection, it also doesn't have any important bits in it. So it does actually tend to take less damage I've found. Unless you can get the torpedo to hit only the very tip of your bow/stern though, you don't want to take a torpedo hit to the forward or rear sections of your ship, as most of these sections have thinner protection. If it's a choice between risking a hit there though and taking multiple, you'll want to do the former, though.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,144 posts
22,100 battles

I took one torpedo head-on into the bow of the ship and got detonated.  Maybe RNG but if I'm going to take one now I try to manuever so it hits the torpedo belt.

Members
383 posts

I wonder if they could add the ability to negate damage if you angled enough to keep the trigger from activating? It might be a way to balance damage to BBs since they are slow to turn to avoid a full spread.  

Members
1,054 posts
11,054 battles

I took one torpedo head-on into the bow of the ship and got detonated.  Maybe RNG but if I'm going to take one now I try to manuever so it hits the torpedo belt.

Just bad luck on RNG.  Luckily it only happens once about every 200 matches +/-.  Then you get 10 free flags for the times you feel paranaoid :D

For me.  Which is probably like every 700 torp hits when in a BB.  So far in my BB Ive only been detonated 1x.  Then for strange odd reason I just like to collect the flags idk why :P

saving for T9-T0 Mayhem days.

Members
810 posts
2,554 battles

I remember taking a torp hit in my Colorado and got instant detonated from full health down to zero as the torp hit my most heavily protected portion right under the #2 forward gun battery. I'm pretty sure that DD was praising the RNG that day just as I was cursing it as it was one heck of a repair bill.

Members
284 posts
4,749 battles

I wonder if they could add the ability to negate damage if you angled enough to keep the trigger from activating? It might be a way to balance damage to BBs since they are slow to turn to avoid a full spread.  

Maybe they should model the historical tendency of torpedoes to be duds as well.  Might balance torps a bit more.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

One benefit to taking the torpedo on the torpedo bulge is that it might NOT cause flooding, which can be a lifesaver in many situations.  From my experience bow or stern hits always result in flooding.

Sign in to follow this