You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Nfrann

Phantom Fortress bit, ya, not so great

47 comments in this topic

[RDDT]
Beta Testers
64 posts
4,706 battles

While I salute developer driven events, I played my first game with the Phantom Fortress dev bit and - wow. So we start out with 4 fewer ships - the Fortress is supposed to be THAT over powered? Within 6 minutes, our east flank is wiped out (a BB and a cruiser vs 6 ships) the 4 missing ships were simply plucked from one side - ensuring a roll quick over. Five minutes later we lose to a cap out. Fortress is untouched with 2 kills.

I don't get it. Perhaps if the other team hadn't capped us out they could have spent the rest of the battle ganging up on the CV (must have what? 5 times the health and 5 times the armor of a regular CV? Something that makes it a super ship?). The whole event seemed unbalanced and worthless. I wasted 11 minutes with no chance to win the game just to pass out flags to players? There has got to be a better way.

Why can't you guys just grab a regular ship and do the event normal? Too much time over thinking ways to give stuff away. Not fun.

Banned
3,836 posts

the point of the event is to encourage you to work as a team.

the phantom ship is easily worth 5 normal ships.  so to counter it. you have less players.

but. for the enemy to win vs a phantom ship. they need to work as a team to take it down(it can muder an entire team with ease if they come at it 1 by 1).   or be smart and avoid it (as its slow).

meanwhile. the smaller team needs to support their super ship.  

the whole point of the event is encourage teams to work AS TEAMS and not solo pubs.

as well as to test raid boss mode.

think of it like a MMO. a group of 10 people vs 1 raid boss.  you don't go "derp derp solo attack".   you work as a team to take it down.

thats the point of the event. to stop the solo pubbies and encourage(or FORCE) them to work as teams.

I've been in games in Salem Witch were we are down by 8 ships.  and we won.  cause the enemy team came at me 1 by 1 and the Salem Witch ship came out with 8-12 kills.

and even bugged games where its Salem vs Salem.

i've seen teams work as teams by group up around their own salem and moving as a fleet.  supporting their super ship while focusing fire on the enemies.

in that regard.  the event is a huge success.  I've seen alot of teamwork in this event. and the rewards are worth it.

but i've also seen alot of solo pubs cry the event is unfair because they don't want to work as a team.

think of it as a MMO.  not a free for all.

work as a team (this might mean u have DDs control cap circles while the BBs support Salem and cruisers are inbetween DDs and BBs.)

[BUN]
Beta Testers
1,915 posts
6,595 battles

I get the feeling some of the people driving them aren't experienced in carriers. But that things armor is trolololololol. Couldn't damage it with HE when it was on 600 health X( 

Btw, do you have to sink it to get the reward? We won the battle but never sunk the thing, again 600 health. 

If we do in fact need to  sink it, I'm starting to think wg implemented an invincibility mechanism when it's low on health X(

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

I get the feeling some of the people driving them aren't experienced in carriers. But that things armor is trolololololol. Couldn't damage it with HE when it was on 600 health X( 

Btw, do you have to sink it to get the reward? We won the battle but never sunk the thing, again 600 health. 

If we do in fact need to  sink it, I'm starting to think wg implemented an invincibility mechanism when it's low on health X(

Flag Payout is on Monday

Banned
3,836 posts

no.

there is no invicibility mechanism

and you don't need to kill it.

you need to WIN.

wether it lives or dies is irrelevant.

if u can avoid it and back cap it. do it.  its slow for a reason.

play smart and avoid it.

or work as a team to take it down

Members
456 posts
7,822 battles

ramming speed

[BUN]
Beta Testers
1,915 posts
6,595 battles

no.

there is no invicibility mechanism

and you don't need to kill it.

you need to WIN.

wether it lives or dies is irrelevant.

if u can avoid it and back cap it. do it.  its slow for a reason.

play smart and avoid it.

or work as a team to take it down

Spasibo. the only remaining ships were two carriers. One of which looked like hornet so.....

We were approaching from all sides on them.. does that count as teamwork? 

Edit: We had all the caps sooooo

Edited by Verniy_Dekabrist

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Too bad Atlantas don't seem to find their ways into these games.

Burning the Witch with one would be so deliciously ironic! :P

Banned
3,836 posts

Spasibo. the only remaining ships were two carriers. One of which looked like hornet so.....

We were approaching from all sides on them.. does that count as teamwork? 

Edit: We had all the caps sooooo

even if u come at it together.  it can fight off.

keep in mind its representing 5-8 ships (which is why its team is smaller)

so if u send 5 ships against it.  expect 4 to be gone or damaged.

if u can get a BB on its side. its a cruiser. no armor. easy citadels for BB AP side on.

and coming at it with numbers doesnt work if only 1 can get at it at a time.

tier 10 ship

aka fire chance is insanely low from tier 4 ships.  like 1%

Atlnta would suffer due to its insanely lower fire chance. lack fo armor. and range

[BUN]
Beta Testers
1,915 posts
6,595 battles

even if u come at it together.  it can fight off.

keep in mind its representing 5-8 ships (which is why its team is smaller)

so if u send 5 ships against it.  expect 4 to be gone or damaged.

if u can get a BB on its side. its a cruiser. no armor. easy citadels for BB AP side on.

and coming at it with numbers doesnt work if only 1 can get at it at a time.

Well it was the Hornet(thats what im calling it) so we didnt get citadeled. I haven't seen the witch yet... except the one flying around my port.. 

And as far as I could tell, there was a lot of teamwork going through chat on my team.

Members
555 posts
11,596 battles

i have tried to get into a battle for this event but have had no luck

Try T4 or T3 been watching some streams and that T4 des moines seems to be the most populare.

I don't think they can meet ships of higher tier so T5 max if you want to meet them

Edited by BadNews420

Banned
3,836 posts

Well it was the Hornet(thats what im calling it) so we didnt get citadeled. I haven't seen the witch yet... except the one flying around my port.. 

And as far as I could tell, there was a lot of teamwork going through chat on my team.

in general few people are playing the carrier phantom now due to it being broken (bad way. not OP way)

its fighters are 1 plane per squadron

torps planes are IJN torp squadrons with bad drop pattern

bombers are USN bombers. but seem to miss anyway.

the ship itself has some armor vs AP.  but vs HE it has very little defense.

but its a high tier carrier. so don't try to rely on fires as you have a lower fire chance vs higher tiers.  vs salem and phantom thats like 1% or less.(BBs have 10%)

idk how it survived your attack. sounds like the area u shot at was fully saturated. so you need to hit a different part of it.

[DRACS]
Members, In AlfaTesters
298 posts
1,395 battles

I agree with the teamwork comment, when teams rallied around a Salem and screened the DD. The Salem seemed to kill 5 or more ships, and it was hard to take them down. Once the team scattered to the wind, while simultaneously complaining about the number deficit pretty big chance that team would lose. Saw a Witch pick off 8 ships as they came in 1 by 1, it would never had had a chance if they had attacked as a group.

Anyway lots of fun last night.

[_XXX_]
Beta Testers
1,974 posts

i have tried to get into a battle for this event but have had no luck

same here..was wondering does this take place during a limited time frame. played several tier 4-5 battles yesterday and not one against the fortress or the witch

Members
1,267 posts
9,452 battles

I agree with the teamwork comment, when teams rallied around a Salem and screened the DD. The Salem seemed to kill 5 or more ships, and it was hard to take them down. Once the team scattered to the wind, while simultaneously complaining about the number deficit pretty big chance that team would lose. Saw a Witch pick off 8 ships as they came in 1 by 1, it would never had had a chance if they had attacked as a group.

Anyway lots of fun last night.

Oh, it was a lot of fun the one time I was in the battle. But the problem was, most of us were unaware of the event and didn't know what was happening until it was on. Didn't realize the Salem Witch was OP like that until I took one shell for 3500 damage in my Phoenix. After that, I steered clear and found other enemy targets to kill. In the meantime, my team mates killed the Witch, but not until after said Witch killed six of ours. It was a lot of fun, no doubt, and a nice change of pace.

[PSV]
Beta Testers
474 posts
4,314 battles

I simply do not understand why there's so much whining going on over the event. Seriously. :rolleyes:

1. It's not like you're getting event battles every time you queue up. No, you're not. Don't even argue.

2. You can play ranked, co-op, or choose to play a tier that isn't involved in the event MM if you really dislike it so much.

3. It's temporary. It's not like it's going to last for very long.

4. Throw the devs a freakin' bone. They're trying to do fun and creative things to keep the community interested, things that usually involve shaking up the formula a bit. Again, if it's not your cup of tea, please refer to #2. :great:

• Cool 1

Banned
3,836 posts

same here..was wondering does this take place during a limited time frame. played several tier 4-5 battles yesterday and not one against the fortress or the witch

i get on usually after 4-5pm AZ time (when i get back from work)

and am trying to play till 10pm (so 5-6 hours)

got through 20 games last night =)

and was proud to do some shoutouts to people who performed great, but didn't get the flag reward(cause they didn't win. but i felt they deserved a win for their actions)

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/54885-salem-event-to-win-work-as-a-team/

I simply do not understand why there's so much whining going on over the event. Seriously. :rolleyes:

1. It's not like you're getting event battles every time you queue up. No, you're not. Don't even argue.

2. You can play ranked, co-op, or choose to play a tier that isn't involved in the event MM if you really dislike it so much.

4. Throw the devs a freakin' bone. They're trying to do fun and creative things to keep the community interested, things that usually involve shaking up the formula a bit. Again, if it's not your cup of tea, please refer to #2. :great:

yeah. plus we mocking WoT's "hunt the pros" event by rewarding the ENTIRE winning team.  not just the person who kills the target.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

tier 10 ship

aka fire chance is insanely low from tier 4 ships.  like 1%

Atlnta would suffer due to its insanely lower fire chance. lack fo armor. and range

We've discussed this before, but I still can't believe how illogical that relative tier gap fire chance mechanic is.  Tiers should only affect a ship's base fire resistance, thus representing how fire prevention improved over the years.  The SAME exact shell (with the same listed fire chance stat, mind you) fired out of the SAME model gun that hits in the SAME spot on the SAME ship still somehow has a DIFFERENT chance of causing a fire?  Because the gun itself happens to be mounted on a newer or older ship than the one it's firing at?  #WG logic:sceptic:

On another note, what are some of the best comments you've heard in chat so far?  I'm assuming there's already been plenty of "Witch sailing a Witch" remarks, and possibly some Monty Python and the Holy Grail references...

I don't think they can meet ships of higher tier so T5 max if you want to meet them

I know, just thought that would be funny.  My Kongo and Arkansas are ready to go on a witch hunt!:izmena:

Banned
3,836 posts

On another note, what are some of the best comments you've heard in chat so far?  I'm assuming there's already been plenty of "Witch sailing a Witch" remarks, and possibly some Monty Python and the Holy Grail references...

when they find out i'm Strike Witch Tomoko.

best comment so far (other than 3 monty python references that i'm not a witch cause i not floating anymore.  

1 involving the bunny(is that you Troubl?! KEEP YOUR BUNNY AWAY FROM ME)   http://i.imgur.com/0IL84fc.png

and 2 involving "call it a draw?" after i sink them.)

is why am i wearing pants(reference to strike witches)

who is the real witch (every time its Salem vs Salem)

and where is Haruka(.....someone read the novel.....uh oh....)

Beta Testers
768 posts

The Phantom Fortress is absolute trash.

ONE TB squadron, with four planes. Two fighters with 1 plane each. And a dive bomber squadron.

Like, jeez. That's not worth TWO ships, let alone a four or five ship handicap.

The Witch absolutely is, though. :P

[RDDT]
Beta Testers
64 posts
4,706 battles

First off - this post wasn't started to whine - it's was to express to the devs (they want to know this stuff) how things are going. I damit my experience was with only one game, regardless, I thought I'd share some thoughts on improving it (even if it didn't seem that way).

I Love events! I want more! But when they don't go off well, it's important to share - in a positive way - what's not working. The Dev's are big boys. They are catering to thousands and understand too how forums work (the good and the bad).

The big problem with the game I was in was that they pulled 4 ships from one side and that made the game massively uneven. Need to work on that aspect.