Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

A detailed look at Gromoboi

18 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

Today we shall be taking a look at the Russian armored cruiser Gromoboi. Launched in 1899 her primary purpose was to be a long range commerce raider.During the Russo-Japanese war she broke out several times in search of Japanese commerce. Grom with a small fleet of other armored cruisers was sent to reinforce the main portion of the Russian pacific fleet at Tsushima, however they encountered heavy seas and had to turn back. The fleet of armored cruisers were met by a squadron of 4 Japanese armored cruisers, an intense battle broke out which saw all ships damaged and the Russian cruiser Rurik sunk. Gromoboi was scrapped in 1922. Lets have a look shall we?

WEIGHT - 12,655t

Her weight puts her hitpoints just above the St. Louis being 2,000t heavier. But St. Louis is heavy for its tier anyways, this is tier 5 and above hitpoints.

ARMOR 

Belt: 152mm

Deck: 38-76mm

Armored Bridge: 305mm

The armor is very good for any in-game cruiser, but is pretty standard for an armored cruiser. she would be a pretty tough nut to crack!

MAIN BATTERY - 4x1 203mm, 16x1 152mm

Being an armored cruiser she has a multi-calibre main battery, i dont know where WG stands on multi-calibre firing, but i think theyve given it low priority. anyways the 4x 8" guns can be bogeys or secondary with the 16 6" guns being the main battery, 8 to a broadside isnt bad for tier 4, and could fit at tier 5.

SECONDARY BATTERY - 24x1 75mm, 12x1 47mm, 18x1 37mm

54 SECONDARY GUNS!!! and you though the st. louis was made of guns! :teethhappy: although there is no guarantee that wg would have the 47mm and 37mm guns actually fire as they may be too small. but they were intended for use against torpedo boats. Heres how i would have em, give the 75's a 2.5km range, the 47's and 37's a 1.5km range. Anything that gets within 1.5km will be completely and utterly erased! :teethhappy:

AA ARMAMENT -  planes werent a threat wehn this thing was designed, but most of the 37's are on the deck so i supose they could be used against planes.

SPEED - 19kn

Yeah... thats reall really bad.. still better than SCar though! :teethhappy:

PROS

Good armor

Good Hitpoints

LOTS OF GUNS

CONS

slow speed

no AA

big target

CONCLUSION - Like St. Louis this thing is literally made out of guns! Unfortunately like most armored cruiser its multi-calibre :sceptic: I think this ship can compete at tier 5 especially if it is able to fire the 8" guns along with the 6" guns, it would be alright with just the 6" guns but 2 of em cant fire to the side.. if it only gets the 6" guns i can see it at tier 4. At either tier the armor is good, the hitpoints are good its extremely slow however, and is some 480' long, so the turning circle might be kinda meh, in any event a hard turn will bleed off allot of speed, speed you dont have. aircraft will also be a huge threat. hope you all enjoyed this one! Let me know what you think in the comments, would you like to see armored cruisers like Gromoboi in game? Or do you think theyre a headache best left alone? Have A good day! :)

Gromoboi.jpg

gromboi.jpg?w=652&h=384

RUS%20gromoboi%201.jpg

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Despite the numerous complaints about how tough they could be to balance, I would love to see proper armored cruisers like this one make their way into the game at some point.

• Cool 1

[TSU]
Members
267 posts
3,370 battles

Such a beautiful ship! If not part of the regular Russian cruiser line I'd at least like to see her as a premium.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Such a beautiful ship! If not part of the regular Russian cruiser line I'd at least like to see her as a premium.

Isnt she though? that painting is so powerful i just had to include it! :)

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

OP. :amazed:

OP as in overpowered or OP as in me?

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

O.

P.

Russian Bias :)

I took allot for me to finally do a Russian ship, i have a strong dislike for anything Russian not because of Russian bias (Look up r ape of Berlin) But people have been requesting em so... "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Well i shouldnt say that.. i love the Red army Chior :).. but thats about it.

Edited by dseehafer

Members
341 posts
1,820 battles

Ya would love to see this ship and a bunch of other armored cruisers in game someday! They would be great fun at low tiers!

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,102 battles

I took allot for me to finally do a Russian ship, i have a strong dislike for anything Russian not because of Russian bias (Look up r ape of Berlin) But people have been requesting em so... "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Well i shouldnt say that.. i love the Red army Chior :).. but thats about it.

It took a lot? If that's the case just post links to This Day in History archive. :trollface:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/forum/67-this-day-in-history-archive/

Mikasa didn't get controllable mixed armament so armored cruisers are somewhere in the far future when WG changes their mind, to me only. Kawachi should have disimilar calibre rifles in game afaik, I don't know if it does though.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

Is that a gun sticking out of the bow?

Yes. Arkansas has one sticking out of her stern. 

Members
260 posts
3,141 battles

If I read it right, this is a Bayan class Russian cruiser. The Bayan was sunk and refloated by Japan and refitted with Japanese guns. It was called Aso. I think it was used as a trainer and eventually repurposed to be a minelayer.

It might be interesting to have an IJN version. That style seemed popular and it would be cool to have a version of the Aso.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

If I read it right, this is a Bayan class Russian cruiser. The Bayan was sunk and refloated by Japan and refitted with Japanese guns. It was called Aso. I think it was used as a trainer and eventually repurposed to be a minelayer.

It might be interesting to have an IJN version. That style seemed popular and it would be cool to have a version of the Aso.

No Bayan class came after the Grom, grom was the only one in her "class"
Edited by dseehafer

Members
260 posts
3,141 battles

No Bayan class came after the Grom, grom was the only one in her "class"

My mistake. I misread it. It was succeeded by the Bayan class.

[RRN]
Members
640 posts
3,954 battles

Sorry for the necro, but the battle of Ulsan was concurrent to the battle of the Yellow Sea not Tsushima.

Sign in to follow this