Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nathan1981

Right of way for ships discussion

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

44 posts in this topic

I think the ship getting shot at by the entire enemy team has the right of way.  He has a bit more on his mind that sailing in a straight line waiting for his guns or torps to reload.

Unlike real ships where someone is always looking forward while someone else are dealing with the guns; WoWS is promoting distracted ship handling in the worst possible way. Once the shooting starts, you are to shoot and use the tiny map to determine whether you have turned enough. You may or may not bother with CTRL-X to lock the guns to check your surroundings.

There's always going to be careless drivers out there.

Sometimes collisions are unavoidable in the heat of battle, I get that.

But it's really annoying while sailing a BB at 1/4-1/2 speed and getting rammed by a full speed DD and having to pay out way more than I get back.

They need to balance the team damage compensation better. Maybe that would help people pay attention.

Remember that just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you have no responsibilities, or no need to watch where you are going. This is true even for Battleships. And once a collision happens you can and should help the situation.

For example, one time I was in a Cruiser and saw an enemy Destroyer was closing to torp a nearby friendly Battleship. I rushed across the BBs course line to chase off the DD, and succeeded, but ended up impaling myself on the bow of the BB, who did nothing to avoid it. Okay. My fault I guess. But the BB just kept plowing ahead full speed, no turning, with me stuck on his bow unable to get off. He shot off his guns in my face at some distant enemy doing me damage, and this went on for a good 30 seconds, no exaggeration. All he had to do was slow down a bit to let me off. I don't even know if he knew I was there. Finally I shot off my gun into the water and he typed "LOL" in the chat (I didn't think it was funny) and he slowed, leaving me to slide off dead in the water and shortly after I was hit by torps from that DD and died. I got pretty mad and called him a "Sh**head" in the chat. He just said he had the right of way.. period. He probably wasn't even aware I saved him from eating 5 torps in his side.

The right of way rule is simple.. I have the right of way.

Seriously though, avoiding a collision is everyone's responsibility.  Yes, a person might expect the Destroyer to do more to avoid the collision, but if the Battleship player isn't trying to avoid the collision also, then that Battleship player is at fault should the collision occur.   If both ships take reasonable action to avoid a collision and the collision still occurs, then it was an unavoidable accident.  If one ship doesn't try to avoid the accident while the other does, the ship that didn't try to avoid the collision is negligent and therefor at fault.  If neither ship tries to avoid the collision, they both deserve what they get.

When I take out my BB and I get hit and it slows me down to zero I get pissed; because I'm driving a new work and it takes FOREVER to gain my speed back lol.

BBs have the right of way, always. No exceptions, never.

False. If you're in a BB coming up behind somebody who's engaged, yield the space they need to maneuver.

Rule of thumb: if somebody in front of you is being shot at, they're not looking at you. They're looking at whoever is shooting at them. Stay out of their way, regardless what class of ship they're in.

--Helms

In general I'd agree with the less agile ship having the right of way, but having read this thread I do think there is something to be said about yielding to a ship who is engaging the enemy. Not sure how practical that is, but it's a good point.

yes there should be right of way considerations but in this game they are rarely considered

There also should be considerations with regards to necro of ancient threads, but...you know...

Well one good necro deserves another. So without further ado...

In the fall of twenty twelve the forums were begun

A chance to play the biggest ships that had the biggest guns

The threads came fast and furious. We had a lot of fun

With experts, trolls and humorists, the threads were never done

The older threads were sinking down, regardless poor or good

And every necromancer, knew and understood

They had to seek the necro, their diligence was key

And find the threads forgotten, now lost beneath the sea

We'll find the threads that warmed our hearts and never mind the fuss

We gotta bring 'em back 'cause the world depends on us

Hit the decks a-runnin' boys and spin those winches 'round

When we find our favorites we'll send the divers down

"We're writing new threads all the time and they deserve their day"

"Leave those old ones in their graves or else just go away"

"We don't much like your antics" was the critics sound

But when the smoke had cleared away the necros would not drown

So through long days and weary nights the necromancers sail

While anti-necromancers, against the practice rail

And somewhere neath that ocean, I know they gotta be

We gotta raise the necro from the bottom of the sea

Now some old threads are excellent to show the newbie green

Still some are just plain stupid, and some are just plain mean

Not every thread is worthy of coming back again

We all should use discernment before we post and grin

Johnny Horton - Sink the Bismarck

IRL:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea

It can be condensed down to every vessel has a responsibility to take appropriate action, where possible, to avoid a collision.

Common sense keep to starboard and be obvious about your actions to avoid collisions  and dont expect the other vessel to take action

Having said that my brother in law sails  in international competitiions and the tactics around the use and abuse of the right of way rules are an entire race in themselves!

In the game where lives are not at risk and ships are made of pixels its simpler - Watch where you are going!

When I see a pink ship that hasn't moved several minutes into the game, I try to make time to run into it and damage him a little...since it seems like a lot of pink players load into games and sit there afk to work off their pink status, it's nice to make sure that this afk game didn't count for them. :D

When I see a pink ship that hasn't moved several minutes into the game, I try to make time to run into it and damage him a little...since it seems like a lot of pink players load into games and sit there afk to work off their pink status, it's nice to make sure that this afk game didn't count for them. :D

You cruel, cruel person........:D

If you are under fire you always have right of way. IDC if your the Pope, God or the President of Zimbabwe. Give them room unless your gonna smoke'm. Slow BB's are next as they already have a hard enough time getting to the fight followed by fast BB's then everything else.

View Postpoeticmotion, on 03 February 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

When I see a pink ship that hasn't moved several minutes into the game, I try to make time to run into it and damage him a little...since it seems like a lot of pink players load into games and sit there afk to work off their pink status, it's nice to make sure that this afk game didn't count for them. :D
You cruel, cruel person........:D

Not so much cruelty as being annoyed at them for [edited]their teammates. If they're just going to load into games and sit AFK to work off TK status, I'm going to make sure they learn that doesn't work. It's a dickmove for them to go AFK deliberately. :D

I don't disagree with the rule of tonnage but basic maritime rules of the road (give way right) would solve most of these issues.  Seems to work most of the time in the real world.

Agreed.

I've had DDs and CAs run into my BB and then get mad and tell me to watch where I am going. I've also had an Atlanta full on T-bone me because he was scoped in and not watching his surroundings get mad at me and shoot me saying it is my job to avoid him because he was firing at an enemy ship. I then told him to shoot me again and see what happens, he called me an a-hole and got out of my way.

:izmena::D Would have love to seen that chat exchange!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0