Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nathan1981

Right of way for ships discussion

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

44 posts in this topic

This seems to come up a lot.  Several times teammates collide and one decides to get mad about it.  It really shouldn't be a big deal because it's just a game, but people do enjoy trying to play games well.  So, I thought right-of-way should be discussed a bit.  Granted, most people probably aren't going to even bother reading this but who knows, it might help some people.

If a ship isn't moving, it has the right of way.  That doesn't mean a ship should run right into you and stop right there then blame you in chat, I'm assuming the players aren't deliberately being obnoxious.

If two ships are moving, the biggest ship has the right of way.  Cruisers and Destroyers shouldn't collide with a moving Battleships because the Battleships simply cannot maneuver as easily, though everyone should be aware of everyone else.  Destroyers shouldn't collide with any teammate.  Carriers basically should never be collided with by any teammate.  

A Battleship really has right-of-way at all times so long as they aren't being silly.  If there are some teammates sitting at the corner of an island, the battleship shouldn't try to full-steam that edge of the island.  

The reason I'm posting this is because it keeps happening and it baffles me.  I was in a Myogi and a teammate Cruiser T-Boned me.  It was about a minute into the match, the Cruiser was fleeing the side of the map they were placed at for the entire other side of the map.  That was ridiculous enough, but then they put their bow into my stern and proceeded to ask me if I was blind.  They apparently believed that I was responsible, as though it were a ground-pounder intersection and I had run a red light.  The high seas rules for right-of-way are not the same as the rules for cars.  It would help if people knew this.  It would also help if people didn't treat a ~1% notch to HP as significant, but hey, one step at a time.

It has always been a general rule of thumb since CBT that the less maneuverable ship always has the right of way.

Rule of tonnage, very simple.

That said, I do like your 'as long as they aren't being silly' addendum.

Agreed.

it's such a silly thing to get mad over. I usually make a joke of it if I'm not in a fire fight, like this time I hit a Kongo's stern with my Fuso's bow. I typed "sorry you just have such a beautiful stern" then we laugh about it. Or when I got t-boned in a BB by a DD in the first minute of battle, I typed "sorry I thought I could drift need for speed style around you" lol

I do like to run over DDs in my BB for no other reason but because they have small blind captains. Tell me to move..OK  Ill move right over you..To bad you can submerge a DD when you T bone one...They wont do that again..

Agreed.

I've had DDs and CAs run into my BB and then get mad and tell me to watch where I am going. I've also had an Atlanta full on T-bone me because he was scoped in and not watching his surroundings get mad at me and shoot me saying it is my job to avoid him because he was firing at an enemy ship. I then told him to shoot me again and see what happens, he called me an a-hole and got out of my way.

But what if two BBs are coming right at each other?!

Higher Tier has right of way, if Tie suggest .... *placeholder for suggestions*

My Konigsberg got t-boned by a scopped-in Tenyru who...also shot me while trying to shoot a Wyoming (or was it a new york?). While I was dueling retreating Omaha and a  charging Farragut.

Thanks buddy........and I quote "****ing a** ur in m way!!!!!!!!!!"

I forget how many exclamation marks he used. He sunk not a single ship, and bottom'd on the charts that game.

Rule 1:  Get out of the way for bigger slower, less maneuverable ships.

Rule 2: Don't interrupt someone's line of fire. 

Rule 3: Don't Scope All The Time. Use the Right-Click Button A LOT.

Rule 4: When you t-bone someone, it is your fault. You could slow down, and/or turn. Get your [edited]out of your aiming reticle and click that right-mouse button.

1) Reality is that the least maneuver-able ship, IE A WInd Powered Sailboat would have the right of way.

A OMG Tanker/Larger CV/BB would obviously be next.

2) The ship to the right always has the ROW as well.

The lights on a ships are configured to show you a RED if you are to the LEFT of the ships ROW.

If you are the ship to the RIGHT, you will always see a GREEN light telling you that you have ROW.

This is reality, not CGI/GUI/etc.

My problem with getting bumped or rammed by a colleague is this:

1) You cannot fire without hitting them. You would then be a sitting duck on the map. I love to see 2 adversaries collide, just lob shells, you have to hit something.

2) I was hit by a St Louis (trying to avoid torps). He ended up pinning us both to an island and we both got our butts shot clean off. Torps,(sitting still right?) and shells poured in relentlessly.

Edited by DKW_86

I hear what you all are saying - but in the real-world right of way has NOTHING to do with size.  Sailboats always have right of way over powered ships.  Other than that there are very specific rules for a lot of situations - but if everyone follows one rule then there are no collisions - always turn to the right.

I should also point out that in the Navy we had an unofficial rule "Law of Gross Tonnage" which meant that even if you had right of way over the oil tanker, don't expect anyone to be on his bridge, and even if so, he ain't a gonna maneuver.

I realize that almost no one on WOWS is an actual pilot or officer of the deck so mostly I stick with the always turn right rule and assume no one is on the bridge of the other ship.  It usually works. except for the guys creeping up on your port side when firing to starboard.  WOWS ought to put a collision alert sound like they do for islands.

Rule of tonnage, very simple.

That said, I do like your 'as long as they aren't being silly' addendum.

I think that right of way should go to whoever is going the fastest of the two. That way, the faster ship doesn't have to slow down.

Everyone knows BBs only go straight!!! Why do you think torps are so OP!

Oh if only that were true. I would be a much happier CV pilot if it were so.

I think that right of way should go to whoever is going the fastest of the two. That way, the faster ship doesn't have to slow down.

Actually, I think the right of way should go to whoever has low maneuverability. For example

Destroyer vs Cruiser - Cruiser has RoW

Cruiser vs Battleship - Battleship has RoW

Any ship vs carrier - carrier has RoW.

Edited by PcolaTy_1

My two cents on this topic.  Granted, bigger ship should generally have the right of way.  But also, f you are behind another ship, please assume that he has no idea you are there.  It's like skiing or snowboarding, the guy in front has right of way because he probably doesn't see you coming up behind him.

I will admit that I have rammed a few ships, one in my Minakaze, I was gunning the last enemy DD and got closer than I like to an allied Cruiser as the DD died. The cruiser, a Furry Taco if I remember right, decided to turn into my path, I slammed into full reverse trying to avoid him, but we collided anyway, which halted his turn just enough that he ate a volley and died.

I said I was sorry and had slammed full reverse to try and halt my forward progress.

It does happen. I have been rammed more times than I can count, I just chalk it up and keep going, 99% of the time I don't expect any apology, it happens and is not worth my time getting irritated about.

Actually, I think the right of way should go to whoever has low maneuverability. For example

Destroyer vs Cruiser - Cruiser has RoW

Cruiser vs Battleship - Battleship has RoW

Any ship vs carrier - carrier has RoW.

You want my Imperator NIcolai to manuver around a Rujio?

I believe that it really depends. If you are a Destroyer and you say in chat that you are headed for a specific target that is clearly in front of you, and a Battleship or Cruiser cuts you off, you had the right of passage. But if you are just going along one way and a ship is turning out of the way of projectiles or just turning to go another way, the bigger ship has the right a way. But, if you are just dodging shots and you happen to run into someone, it's no big deal. I'd say in a firefight, the DD has the right away because it must turn and maneuver quickly so that it doesn't get destroyed while delivering torpedo's. Just me theory.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0