Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ryan_RP

They still like ride a line. How do you think?

12 comments in this topic

[-NACL]
Members
3 posts
19,306 battles

I think we make a wall like island. How do you think?

It's not accident. It was intended.

shot-15.10.09_22.39.53-0021 pix.jpg

shot-15.10.09_22.40.14-0025 pix.jpg

shot-15.10.09_22.40.54-0469 pis.jpg

Members
181 posts
1,756 battles

Makes it easier to shoot them.  As they can only go in one direction.  I got called a hacker last night because a guy in his Myogi just decided to ride the line all the way.  So I pumped two spreads of torps from my furry taco into him and turned him into a flaming sinking wreck.  Still didn't win the game though.  I'm on a losing streak like no other right now.  :(

Alpha Tester
113 posts
1,881 battles

I think that:

1) Those that ride the line usually (see * below) just don't get the game. Same as campers in Tanks; they don't get that to do your best, regardless of your ship type (CVs excepted, to a point) you have to get into the battle itself, and being way out there, oftentimes beyond your own firing range, doesn't help anyone.

2) WG fixed something a few patches back (forget what it was) making it such that firing and hitting line riders is now much easier than it was before. Riding the line itself generally will slow you down, and as BigJim said, it was already much easier to hit them since they can literally go only one of two directions, until they leave the line.

* There occasions when people (me included) lose track of where they are, especially in slow BBs, and accidentally bump into the line. It does happen, even to the best. But those that do so and are aware will quickly correct the situation.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

According to a recent developer interview, line riding shouldn't be a problem for much longer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3nu4qk/interview_with_wows_development_director/

the map border will be reworked again in the next big patch. Ships will still be able to drift, but they will lose most of their speed when hitting the border and will also turn slower. Devs hope that will be enough. If that doesn't help they will be done with the "soft" solutions and will already consider the "hard" ones like autopilot taking control or solid border.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

It's one thing riding the line on purpose, but I hate it when people scream "gtfo the line" when it's clearly just an issue of running out of room when evading. I'm looking at Solomon island map in particular.

Alpha Tester
1,997 posts
2,336 battles

It's one thing riding the line on purpose, but I hate it when people scream "gtfo the line" when it's clearly just an issue of running out of room when evading. I'm looking at Solomon island map in particular.

Yeah, the pictures the OP posted don't look like traditional border scumming. they look like they are riding parallel to it, which is completely acceptable, and actually commendable since they were not taking advantage of the "perks" of line riding. It is not expected for a good player to suddenly turn broadside to a pursuer just because the line got in the way, only an idiot does that. Running parallel to the border does not change aiming at all, if you can't hit them, then get gud. 

Beta Testers
498 posts
35,438 battles

yes some time I'm so involved in a shooting match i don't realize I'm kissing the boarder of the theater. lol,, its suicide for me. i need to be more alert.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Yeah, the pictures the OP posted don't look like traditional border scumming. they look like they are riding parallel to it, which is completely acceptable, and actually commendable since they were not taking advantage of the "perks" of line riding. It is not expected for a good player to suddenly turn broadside to a pursuer just because the line got in the way, only an idiot does that. Running parallel to the border does not change aiming at all, if you can't hit them, then get gud. 

Tirpitz is definitely riding the line (bow is beyond the border), not sure about Cleveland - could be sailing parallel to it.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Tirpitz is definitely riding the line (bow is beyond the border), not sure about Cleveland - could be sailing parallel to it.

Fact of the matter is, there's no point in riding the line if you're exposing your broadside at those ranges.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Fact of the matter is, there's no point in riding the line if you're exposing your broadside at those ranges.

Because it's crystal clear from those screenshots whether they have an option to not expose their broadside to someone, and obviously there's no point in making half of one's hull invulnerable to enemy fire...amirite?

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Because it's crystal clear from those screenshots whether they have an option to not expose their broadside to someone, and obviously there's no point in making half of one's hull invulnerable to enemy fire...amirite?

I thought they fixed that 'no damage beyond border' thing?

I dunno, it looks like they are fully exposing their broadside to me.

I think it would be bad practice to position yourself so that you are constantly sandwiched between enemies.

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

Am I the only one that doesn't care if people ride a line or not?  I'm not saying that because I do regularly, I'm saying that because I never feel like the opponent is gaining an advantage on me in any meaningful way.  I still shoot em up just the same.  You have to lead the target a little differently, but just like anything else, once you've figured it out, you're just as effective.  The trick to killing people riding the line is to pay attention to the minimap to see what direction they are really moving and adjust your shots accordingly.   It's really pretty basic.  Line riders are actually at a major disadvantage because they are giving up an entire dimension to avoid your shots.  If you're perpendicular to the line they are hugging, you know the exact horizontal plane they are on, you no longer have to factor in depth.  That's a huge advantage to the person shooting the line hugger.  I do know about the torp bomber limitation on lines, but seriously, in all my games playing a CV, I've rarely ever had an issue because 99% of the time, I'm focused on other targets.  And if someone is riding the line for so long that I eventually have to deal with them while they are still on it, they are almost always the last ship left in the match and we won anyway.

The only map I find myself riding the line are maps that force you so close to it, ones where islands funnel you to a corner (sorry I forget map names) and just get stuck close to it and sometimes you have to turn around toward the line because turning the other way will crash you into a friendly ship or drive you in front of their line of fire or whatever.  And if torps are incoming, yeah, I'll swing the ship in a way to avoid them while still hugging the line because I'm already on the line before the torps appeared and I have only two choices (eat the torps or not eat the torps).  If they didn't make the land masses so damned close to the line, that never would have happened.

But because both teams are affected by the line equally, it's a non-issue to me.

Change it, don't change it, it really doesn't make a difference to me, so go ahead and change it up if you like.  I'm not for or against any idea that's been proposed.  I mean, aesthetically some proposed solutions might look better than others but I'd have to see it to know.  For example, you can't get the feel of open ocean naval combat if every map has a wall of land turning it into a lake.

But whatever get decided, skilled players are going to make better decisions than non-skilled players regardless of how the line works so for people to get all bent out of shape to the point that they call people 'border scummers' is rather silly.  Drama queens.

Sign in to follow this