You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
XxX_BlindSide_XxX

Unluckiest/Luckiest Captain in the game?!

41 comments in this topic

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
532 posts
21,090 battles

Folks I had a moment last night that was a combination of the luckiest unluckiest moment I have had since starting in CBT.   It made me think of a great topic that I could share just to find out which of us is the luckiest/unluckiest Captain in the game.  Tell us your story of your luckiest or unluckiest moment and folks can vote for who's moment they liked best by "liking" it!  Images and Vids wholeheartedly welcome!

(note: My submission doesn't count)

Lets start with THIS moment...the inspiration for my post......Disclaimer - No Mogami' were harmed in the making of this video.

Edited by BigDaddy_BoomBoom
  • Cool 7

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

That video made me giggle. Epic lolz were just had. X3

[EDIT] "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" 

Now I'm sad... :(

Edited by Kitsunelegend

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles

I was trying to figure out if you were going to say that 1-shotting a CA like that at range was all that amusing... then I saw the Mogami reappear :)

Alpha Tester
1,907 posts
12,775 battles

Its happened to me a few times as well.        Ive Shot at a BB and there was an unseen Pensacola sitting behind it and I triple citideled the Pensacola and sunk it.   I was like what the???

Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,148 battles

Poor Atlanta. :(  I could see that happening to me... that's why I stay away from BBs and spotted ships as best I can. XD

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

I had this replay saved but then an update happened, so the replay doesn't work anymore.  Anyway, going from memory (and definitely file this under "lucky")...

I was in my Nicholas in a 3-point Domination match on Fault Line.  Being a good, objective-based player (i.e., stupid), I made an immediate sprint for the nearest capture point, which happened to be A (on the western side of the map, we started south).  I had a fool-proof plan: enter the cap circle, turn to port, fire my starboard launchers into the gap between the islands directly in front of me, then cut hard to starboard to slip between the two islands there while exposing my unused port launchers to any incoming threat.  The plan worked like a charm, right up until I started my turn to starboard and saw the enemy Minekaze coming right through the channel I'd fired on (and too late for my torps to hit).  Meanwhile, I knew that an enemy Kuma was about to round another island to my left, which precluded hanging around and getting into a real knife fight with the Minekaze, so I decided to stick with plan A and continued my turn while firing my guns at him.

The Minekaze driver then did something which I would never in a million years have expected, and actually shot back at me.  With his guns.  At that range it was pretty much impossible to miss me, and since I was in a destroyer and I got shot, my engine immediately died and I got set on fire...repair!  Fire off a few more shots at him, maneuver to avoid the incoming torpedo salvo which is certain to be imminent, and then notice the enemy Nicholas who'd followed him into the circle.  Sweet.

The Kuma has now cleared the island and has a shot at me and there's a Murmansk showing up behind him, so I swing over a bit more to execute the final aspect of plan A (already obliterated, but it was a good plan so I decided to stick with it anyway) and fire off my port launchers at him.  As soon as those fish are in the water I'm back on the guns to shoot at the Minekaze some more, but he's disappeared into a ball of smoke so I angle a bit more to get a shot on the Nicholas.  By now the Kuma has also fired at me, so I pop smoke as well and do what any good destroyer would do in that situation: drive directly into one of the islands I was supposed to be passing between.

It was at this point that the latest salvo from the Nicholas set me on fire (again), and the torpedo warning started chirping at me, but when whoever it was who'd launched at me aimed his shot, he had probably been expecting me to back up off of the island; I showed him by continuing to try driving through the island instead.  The island held firm despite the best attempts of my engine (now knocked out again anyway), but that move saved me from the spread of torpedoes and bought me a couple more seconds of life.  I was now stationary and on fire with no engine & no loaded torpedoes and with four enemy ships within 5 km of me.

At some point in all that fracas I heard one of my torpedoes slam home on the Kuma, which was good because A) that probably pissed him off & I wasn't having such a good day either, and B) the damage that did convinced the friendly battleship & cruiser rapidly maintaining their distance 12km to the south that maybe they should shoot at him, too.  I could still see the Nicholas through all the smoke, so I figured "YOLO" & started pumping shots into him as well (with remarkable foresight, I had beached myself broadside to him).  Then the weirdest thing ever happened: they all completely forgot about me.  Okay, so I was sitting undetected in my smoke cloud despite pumping HE into him from 2 km away, but absolutely nobody shot at me.  I unzoomed long enough to check the position on that Murmansk and noticed that my repair ability had recharged, so I put out the fire with about 2500 hp to spare, kicked it into reverse, and slowly started creeping out of my smoke and that cursed cap circle.

Sure enough, the Murmansk had entered the circle & got line of sight on me, so I lobbed off a fresh spread of newly-reloaded torpedoes in his direction, resumed firing on the Nicholas, and turned back to starboard to slip back out the way I'd come in...still in reverse.  This was when I noticed the full spread of torpedoes which the Minekaze had launched at me bearing in.  I somehow managed to avoid all of them, still in reverse mind you, popped off one more salvo at the Nicholas just as I heard two torpedoes impact the Murmansk, slammed it back to flank speed ahead and ducked neatly behind an island that would shelter me from all four of them.  And it did...it just didn't shelter me from the two additional cruisers which were streaming in from the east.  I took one more bone-jarring salvo which dropped me to 54 hp before I beached myself yet again, this time safely tucked away from everything.

I took some time to try to catch my breath while laughing hysterically at the fact that I'd somehow survived that, heard the Murmansk sink from the flooding right around the time my teammates finally finished off the Kuma & Minekaze, slowly crept off of the island and then sprinted as quickly as I could directly away from that most heinous point (which I'd actually managed to capture while beached for the second time).  And then the game abruptly ended, because apparently if your team reduces the enemy's score to below zero at any point in a Dom match, you win.  Even if it's only 8 minutes into the game.

True story. :B

Edited by Harv72b
  • Cool 3

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
532 posts
21,090 battles

I had this replay saved but then an update happened, so the replay doesn't work anymore.  Anyway, going from memory (and definitely file this under "lucky")...

I was in my Nicholas in a 3-point Domination match on Fault Line.  Being a good, objective-based player (i.e., stupid), I made an immediate sprint for the nearest capture point, which happened to be A (on the western side of the map, we started south).  I had a fool-proof plan: enter the cap circle, turn to port, fire my starboard launchers into the gap between the islands directly in front of me, then cut hard to starboard to slip between the two islands there while exposing my unused port launchers to any incoming threat.  The plan worked like a charm, right up until I started my turn to starboard and saw the enemy Minekaze coming right through the channel I'd fired on (and too late for my torps to hit).  Meanwhile, I knew that an enemy Kuma was about to round another island to my left, which precluded hanging around and getting into a real knife fight with the Minekaze, so I decided to stick with plan A and continued my turn while firing my guns at him.

The Minekaze driver then did something which I would never in a million years have expected, and actually shot back at me.  With his guns.  At that range it was pretty much impossible to miss me, and since I was in a destroyer and I got shot, my engine immediately died and I got set on fire...repair!  Fire off a few more shots at him, maneuver to avoid the incoming torpedo salvo which is certain to be imminent, and then notice the enemy Nicholas who'd followed him into the circle.  Sweet.

The Kuma has now cleared the island and has a shot at me and there's a Murmansk showing up behind him, so I swing over a bit more to execute the final aspect of plan A (already obliterated, but it was a good plan so I decided to stick with it anyway) and fire off my port launchers at him.  As soon as those fish are in the water I'm back on the guns to shoot at the Minekaze some more, but he's disappeared into a ball of smoke so I angle a bit more to get a shot on the Nicholas.  By now the Kuma has also fired at me, so I pop smoke as well and do what any good destroyer would do in that situation: drive directly into one of the islands I was supposed to be passing between.

It was at this point that the latest salvo from the Nicholas set me on fire (again), and the torpedo warning started chirping at me, but when whoever it was who'd launched at me aimed his shot, he had probably been expecting me to back up off of the island; I showed him by continuing to try driving through the island instead.  The island held firm despite the best attempts of my engine (now knocked out again anyway), but that move saved me from the spread of torpedoes and bought me a couple more seconds of life.  I was now stationary and on fire with no engine & no loaded torpedoes and with four enemy ships within 5 km of me.

At some point in all that fracas I heard one of my torpedoes slam home on the Kuma, which was good because A) that probably pissed him off & I wasn't having such a good day either, and B) the damage that did convinced the friendly battleship & cruiser rapidly maintaining their distance 12km to the south that maybe they should shoot at him, too.  I could still see the Nicholas through all the smoke, so I figured "YOLO" & started pumping shots into him as well (with remarkable foresight, I had beached myself broadside to him).  Then the weirdest thing ever happened: they all completely forgot about me.  Okay, so I was sitting undetected in my smoke cloud despite pumping HE into him from 2 km away, but absolutely nobody shot at me.  I unzoomed long enough to check the position on that Murmansk and noticed that my repair ability had recharged, so I put out the fire with about 2500 hp to spare, kicked it into reverse, and slowly started creeping out of my smoke and that cursed cap circle.

Sure enough, the Murmansk had entered the circle & got line of sight on me, so I lobbed off a fresh spread of newly-reloaded torpedoes in his direction, resumed firing on the Nicholas, and turned back to starboard to slip back out the way I'd come in...still in reverse.  This was when I noticed the full spread of torpedoes which the Minekaze had launched at me bearing in.  I somehow managed to avoid all of them, still in reverse mind you, popped off one more salvo at the Nicholas just as I heard two torpedoes impact the Murmansk, slammed it back to flank speed ahead and ducked neatly behind an island that would shelter me from all four of them.  And it did...it just didn't shelter me from the two additional cruisers which were streaming in from the east.  I took one more bone-jarring salvo which dropped me to 54 hp before I beached myself yet again, this time safely tucked away from everything.

I took some time to try to catch my breath while laughing hysterically at the fact that I'd somehow survived that, heard the Murmansk sink from the flooding right around the time my teammates finally finished off the Kuma & Minekaze, slowly crept off of the island and then sprinted as quickly as I could directly away from that most heinous point (which I'd actually managed to capture while beached for the second time).  And then the game abruptly ended, because apparently if your team reduces the enemy's score to below zero at any point in a Dom match, you win.  Even if it's only 8 minutes into the game.

True story. :B

Epic I would have just pooped in my captains chair.

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
2,801 battles

I remember when i was grinding Zuihou, i was manual dropping a Fusou when suddenly i see torps go off yet not hitting Fusou (thought to myself, too close they didn't arm), out of nowhere "We have destroyed an enemy destroyer"

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
532 posts
21,090 battles

I remember when i was grinding Zuihou, i was manual dropping a Fusou when suddenly i see torps go off yet not hitting Fusou (thought to myself, too close they didn't arm), out of nowhere "We have destroyed an enemy destroyer"

Ahh yes my most embarrassing moments...being torpedoed blind by other destroyers in my Shimakaze....sigh

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Epic I would have just pooped in my captains chair.

I recline in my bed while I play, and there's a saying about pooping where you sleep. ;)

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I've torped Minekazes loitering near other ships when I wasn't even aiming at them in the first place.

Happened more than once too.

[DUMP]
Members
62 posts
1,626 battles

Did a game like this in my New Mexico, I was the luckiest bastard possible.

Game is on Two Brothers, I spawn south and go west.

Our DDs rush west and spot cruisers far away.

I pop my spotting plane, aim at a furutaka 19.1km away, one-shot him with 3 citadels.

30 seconds later, aim at a second furutaka, 18.5km away, one shot him with 3 citadels too.

30 seconds later, aim at a cleveland 17.3km away, one shot him with 3 citadels and 1 hit.

I finished that game with 6 kills, over 140k damage and ~4k exp (only premium account, no first victory bonus involved)

Everyone on that team probably hates me now. About 3 minutes into the game, I had already killed 3 ships in 3 salvo and scored 9 citadels, all from 17-19 km away. (was going toward them, but god that ship is slow haha)

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
532 posts
21,090 battles

Probably one of my luckiest moments, a bad situation goes and gets horribly right. And thank you Adm_Numnutz at the end for giving me the high caliber.

Great game but looked like you made your own luck :)  I'm talkin holy hell did that happen moments :)

Members
28 posts
13,937 battles

Sailing in my Kongo in Big Race less than one minute into the game, in order to switch to AP rounds, I unloaded a full salvo of HE on the first spotted target, which is a Furutaka about 20km away with 2 islands in between. I looked elsewhere after firing because I did not trust my aim and dispersion at that range, only to be surprised in 15 seconds with a kill and Devastating Strike reward due to detonating the Furutaka with 2 hits:ohmy:. I felt sorry for the Furutake Captain for sending him back to port that soon...

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
532 posts
21,090 battles

Sailing in my Kongo in Big Race less than one minute into the game, in order to switch to AP rounds, I unloaded a full salvo of HE on the first spotted target, which is a Furutaka about 20km away with 2 islands in between. I looked elsewhere after firing because I did not trust my aim and dispersion at that range, only to be surprised in 15 seconds with a kill and Devastating Strike reward due to detonating the Furutaka with 2 hits:ohmy:. I felt sorry for the Furutake Captain for sending him back to port that soon...

That was less luck and more skill.  Snap shotting a small cruiser at 20km is more about your ability to instantly compute everything you need to! That was a great shot everyone will agree but luck? Nah you did that all yourself.

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles

That was less luck and more skill.  Snap shotting a small cruiser at 20km is more about your ability to instantly compute everything you need to! That was a great shot everyone will agree but luck? Nah you did that all yourself.

I am always astonished I can get hits against cruisers at that sort of range.

Like, do people not have the AD/QE keys?

Beta Testers
393 posts
1,831 battles

Put these in another thread, but here as well: The poor Minikaze getting 2-shot killed by the Secondaries on a Langely.

shot-15.10.06_19.46.05-0944.jpg

shot-15.10.06_19.46.10-0824.jpg

[DSRP]
Beta Testers
748 posts
2,650 battles

Just yesterday I got ambushed by a destroyer in front of me while I was tunneled on another ship.

Kill the ship I was tunneled on, immediately get double strike for killing the destroyer I hadn't fully realized was there.

Yep, secondary detonation. The poor guy. He did everything right, and got detonated by one of my secondaries.

Members
1,211 posts
4,474 battles

I am always astonished I can get hits against cruisers at that sort of range.

Like, do people not have the AD/QE keys?

At 20km are they even looking at you?

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles

At 20km are they even looking at you?

Does it even matter?

Sailing in a straight line at constant speed when enemy bb are in visual sight is just a dumb idea (especially if you are showing your citadels), regardless of whether you know a BB is focusing on you or not.

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
532 posts
21,090 battles

Let's not lose sight of the good nature of the thread this thread is intended to be a fun place for us to come when we have that..."ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?" moment as well as smile and maybe chuckle when we have had a bad day in ships because even in our worst games we can find moments that are giggleworthy due to our sheer horrible luck or unbelievably good luck.  Like this for instance.  Once I find the replay I will make sure and post the video.

Sailing on Ice-fields in my Shimakaze headed towards the cap at C from the north side at the start of the match.  I got to within 2km of the big rock intending to use it as cover when an unspotted cruiser darts around the corner right in my face!  "Oh lordy! Fire a full spread!"  15 torpedoes away!  His ship seems to laugh at me as he leisurely dodges all 15 torpedoes and rips me apart in 2 salvos of his guns...Wonderful...250k repair bill with nothing to offset it comin up.  Trying to be a good sport about it I don't leave the match but decide I am going to watch the rest of this match...also because I want my darn Shimakaze back.  90 seconds later I am watching through our battleships as they duel with the enemies at close range near B when all the sudden...boom boom bang torpedo hit torpedo hit torpedo hit, flooding, critical hit, torpedo hit, devestating strike, it's just a flesh wound...followed by "We have sunk an enemy aircraft carrier!".  Apparently that cruiser dodging my torpedoes allowed the full spread of 15 to cross the entire map just to 1 shot an unspotted enemy carrier parked at the back!  Woot! Repair bill paid in full.

• Cool 2

[O7]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
12,327 battles

On Hotspot Dom a few days ago in my Nagato, team is down by 150 points or so, score something like 950-800.  It's myself an Aoba and our CV vs a NY, Nagato, Bogue and Indy.  I'm south of C after dispatching a NM and only have 8k health with DCP on CD and no more repairs left.  

Nagato is trying to chase my CV north of C, and NY is in the middle of the map and just killed a Cleveland.  I send a salvo at him, hoping to land a few hits and I manage to citadel him for a kill, 25k damage.  Score is now 930-880 or close to, and Nagato is in sight and in range but I have to wait on reload.

Nagato kills our Omaha.  They get 40 more points.  By the time I am loaded, there are only a few seconds left before the enemy team has 1000 points.  Nagato has 20k health.  I can only pray as I fire and watch the shells fly.  When they reach their target, it's only another tick before we lose.  

Another lucky citadel!  Nagato goes down and our team takes over on points!  But there are enemy DBs coming at me, and I burned a little longer with only 4k health left.  They have just enough time to reach me before time runs out.  I'm sweating bullets and pulling a hard left to try to avoid their bombs.  First squadron drops, hits one and I lose 1000 health and two fires start.  One more bomb and I'm sunk.  Second squad is right behind the first one, and I see them diving as my damage control party comes off CD.  I hit it to put out the two fires and prevent any more from starting for 5 seconds, but splashes all around!  The second squad completely misses and I survive for the victory with 500 health remaining.

I'm hoping my replay still works of this, it'll be a gem.

• Cool 1