Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Numbah18

Fubuki how good is she

55 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,855 battles

A simple question for you all is how good is the Fubuki? I've been going up IJN DD and don't plan on stopping until I get this ship though it may take a while to do so :sceptic:

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

It's the one bright spot in the IJN Destroyer line after the Minekaze before you get the Shimakaze. A little slow, but other than that, she was my favorite high Tier IJN DD in CBT.

-Members-
477 posts
175 battles

I always have fun with the Fubuki, the 3x3 torpedo setup makes it a killer ninja!
But it also requires you to be a more patient player, it's definitely not the fastest Destroyer.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
522 posts
10,155 battles

Addressing the question how good she is, I will say that I have yet to unlock her since OBT/Release so keep that in mind with my evaluation. I loved the Fubuki when I had her in CBT – to the point I didn't want to get the Kagerou. She is lethal. If you have the mindset and can spot the opportunities, there isn't a full-health ship in the game she can't handle.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,235 posts
8,569 battles

The Fubuki is a difficult ship to play well, simply because at end-game levels, Destroyers have the odds stacked against them.  Fubuki has some advantages and some disadvantages you -must- keep in mind in sailing her, or you will die.  No if, ands, or buts, you will die.

First is that every other ship in the game at this level is as fast or faster than you are.  You will lose critical speed in any kind of course change, and will probably be overtaken by any cruisers hunting you.  Destroyers likewise will have little trouble keeping up with you or overrunning you.  Trying to attack a carrier from the aft quarter is a pointless exercise unless you catch one sitting still.  Basically, you are no longer a 'fast' ship, but only average.  Don't count on escaping anything you engage by speed.

Second is that your torpedoes won't hit anything reliably beyond 6-8 km.  This is the reality of high-tier torpedoes, that the speed and spread of torpedoes beyond this point make hitting with the Fubuki's torpedoes beyond close range more a case of luck or just saturation of a particularly close space where you literally cannot miss.  Be ready to launch torpedoes without relying on them to hit, and think more in terms of where on the map you want to make the enemy nervous about going.

Third is that your torpedoes reload twice as fast as a Shimakaze.  This means that you will still be competitive in end-game fights, even if it -looks- like you can't sling as many torpedoes as the T10.  In actuality, you will fire off 18 torpedoes in the time a Shimakaze can launch 15, and your guns are as good as any on the Shim.  Don't sell yourself short.  If you end up in a duel with a T10, remember you will get your second shots off before they will.

Most of all, remember that all of the above means you can't operate like you do in the lower tiers.  You aren't a lone hunter anymore, as the number of carrier aircraft and your inability to have superior speed to any ship you encounter means going off alone has a high chance of you being sunk.  Instead, operate more as a flanker to your own forces, not too far to be supported, but far enough away that you can use your torpedoes safely.  Do this, and Fubuki is a good ship.  Try and play her like a lower-tier DD, and you may find her to be less than you expect.

My two cents.

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 9

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,175 posts
7,713 battles

Absolutely fantastic IJN DD (from my CBT experience). First one where I felt comfortable fighting USN DDs in pure gunnery duels and coming out on top. Fubuki might not be particularly quick, but she has the torpedo range to avoid chancing the detection circles.

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
19,359 battles

The Fubuki is a difficult ship to play well, simply because at end-game levels, Destroyers have the odds stacked against them.  Fubuki has some advantages and some disadvantages you -must- keep in mind in sailing her, or you will die.  No if, ands, or buts, you will die.

First is that every other ship in the game at this level is as fast or faster than you are.  You will lose critical speed in any kind of course change, and will probably be overtaken by any cruisers hunting you.  Destroyers likewise will have little trouble keeping up with you or overrunning you.  Trying to attack a carrier from the aft quarter is a pointless exercise unless you catch one sitting still.  Basically, you are no longer a 'fast' ship, but only average.  Don't count on escaping anything you engage by speed.

Second is that your torpedoes won't hit anything reliably beyond 6-8 km.  This is the reality of high-tier torpedoes, that the speed and spread of torpedoes beyond this point make hitting with the Fubuki's torpedoes beyond close range more a case of luck or just saturation of a particularly close space where you literally cannot miss.  Be ready to launch torpedoes without relying on them to hit, and think more in terms of where on the map you want to make the enemy nervous about going.

Third is that your torpedoes reload twice as fast as a Shimakaze.  This means that you will still be competitive in end-game fights, even if it -looks- like you can't sling as many torpedoes as the T10.  In actuality, you will fire off 18 torpedoes in the time a Shimakaze can launch 15, and your guns are as good as any on the Shim.  Don't sell yourself short.  If you end up in a duel with a T10, remember you will get your second shots off before they will.

Most of all, remember that all of the above means you can't operate like you do in the lower tiers.  You aren't a lone hunter anymore, as the number of carrier aircraft and your inability to have superior speed to any ship you encounter means going off alone has a high chance of you being sunk.  Instead, operate more as a flanker to your own forces, not too far to be supported, but far enough away that you can use your torpedoes safely.  Do this, and Fubuki is a good ship.  Try and play her like a lower-tier DD, and you may find her to be less than you expect.

My two cents.

This guy knows what's up. Very nicely written. +1  She has her limitations, but you're free of the Mutsuki and Hatsuharu torture.
  • Cool 2

Members
52 posts
6,503 battles

I really enjoy my Hatsuharu and am looking forward to Fubuki..( its unlocked just need 5 mill more to get) i imagine they play simular...stay out of site..drop your torps retreat while stealthed..dont bang on the guns unless you really cant get away..ive aggravated bb players at long range to point where they just sit still and let me finish them off or lay in wait and ambushed cruisers around islands...

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,413 battles

It's the one bright spot in the IJN Destroyer line after the Minekaze before you get the Shimakaze. A little slow, but other than that, she was my favorite high Tier IJN DD in CBT.

The speed has me worried too.  Im only about 19k from unlocking it.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,728 posts
13,955 battles

She is noticeably slower, but it's her only drawback.  Make up for it with flags, or simply adapt your playstyle as mentioned above.  

I love Fubuki.  She is easily the best IJN destroyer I have driven (keep in mind most of my experience in Minekaze was pre-nerf).  Her guns are fantastic; you can win gun duels against most other DDs and even against low health cruisers.  (I offed a Cleveland once who was under 3k health.  Only took a couple of salvos.)  The triple/triple torp launchers are deadly if you fire them in tight spreads at single ships, or overlap them in wide spreads against large clumps of ships (as is often found on the ocean map).  

Members
1,245 posts
5 battles

Play as support during the first half of the game.. don't get too aggressive. When the enemy lines thin out, find lone targets and harass them with torps or guns if they are safe to use. Try following a teammate destroyer and help him in his anti-DD role. In domination matches try not to bother going for cap when there are too many destroyer in enemy team. She's a good ship if you managed to stay alive till end game but don't expect anything special.. the ship won't make you any miracles, you have to make miracles to make the ship work!

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
644 posts

Bucky is a good girl. Usable guns. Good torps. Reasonably fast. Decent stealth. All in all there's nothing to complain about really. The 15km torps let you deny entire fleets movement lest they suffer massive damage. Fubuki's are always high on my priority target list due to this. 

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,413 battles

. Reasonably fast.

wut?  I got outran by a carrier the other night.  Most cruisers can also keep pace with it easily.

Its not fast by any means.

[-K-]
2,728 posts
13,955 battles

Her guns are fantastic; you can win gun duels against most other DDs and even against low health cruisers.  

To drive this point home: last night I had a game in Fubuki in which I fired mostly AP at close-range cruisers (God bless islands and smoke!).  Two salvos gutted an Aoba from 15k to dead inside of 4km; one salvo was enough to polish off a Papercola at about 7km.  I had 30k damage in AP shells that game.  

In other words, don't forget that your guns can penetrate cruiser armor at medium-to-close range.

Members
5 posts
10,325 battles

Does anyone have a preference regarding modifications?  I can't decide between "Main Battery Modification 1" and "Torpedo Tubes Modification 1".  It seems like when I do get in a scrap, I lose the rear turret(s) quite frequently.  Also, magazine hits can be a problem and get very expensive.  However, the torpedo tubes are her lifeline so buffing those seems to make the most sense.  Does anyone have any insight? 

I think Torpedo Tubes Modification 2, Propulsion 1, and Concealment are the other "must-haves".  I don't necessarily have a preference for the fourth slot and not totally convinced any are worth the price.

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,413 battles

Does anyone have a preference regarding modifications?  I can't decide between "Main Battery Modification 1" and "Torpedo Tubes Modification 1".  It seems like when I do get in a scrap, I lose the rear turret(s) quite frequently.  Also, magazine hits can be a problem and get very expensive.  However, the torpedo tubes are her lifeline so buffing those seems to make the most sense.  Does anyone have any insight? 

I think Torpedo Tubes Modification 2, Propulsion 1, and Concealment are the other "must-haves".  I don't necessarily have a preference for the fourth slot and not totally convinced any are worth the price.

Im honestly running neither lol.  Im saving up for the stealth module :\   4th slot is an utter waste if you have last stand.
Edited by Skraeling
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
2,728 posts
13,955 battles

On previous IJN DDs I ran Torp Mod 1, but on Fubuki I run Main Battery 1.  Her guns are one of her big strong suits, and having one shot away is irritating.

Beta Testers
644 posts

wut?  I got outran by a carrier the other night.  Most cruisers can also keep pace with it easily.

Its not fast by any means.

She's fast enough. It's world of warships not speed boats. She could stand to be faster but she's not slow.

[MWM]
Alpha Tester
1,819 posts
6,413 battles

She's fast enough. It's world of warships not speed boats. She could stand to be faster but she's not slow.

My point being. If you [edited]up?  You wont outrun anything and will be in deep trouble.

[-K-]
2,728 posts
13,955 battles

My point being. If you [edited]up?  You wont outrun anything and will be in deep trouble.

So the moral of the story is: don't {edited} up. =)

[SYN]
Members
16,002 posts
12,803 battles

If I [edited]up in my Fubuki, I just pop smoke and go down guns blazing :izmena:

I usually try and place myself into spots where I have island cover or friendly ships nearby to run towards, so that I don't have to use my smoke when I screw up a little.

Beta Testers
644 posts

The difference in time it takes the Shimakaze or the new super fast Russian DDs to get out of range of an enemy in comparison to the Fubuki is negligible and in either case smoke is your get out of jail free card for escaping a bad situation not speed. I've been playing of all things the dumpy Izyaslav with its mighty 31.9 knot top speed and not felt the speed made that big of a difference in performance in comparison to more important traits like guns, torpedoes, and detection range. 

Sign in to follow this