Falls_USMC

Post your best games that were still soul-crushing defeats in DDs

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

310 posts in this topic

Just had this game in my Fletcher and I'm sure other DD drivers out there have had similar losses where despite your best efforts, your team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. 

I had lost a couple games already and figured I was just due for a win. Ran my +50% XP flag, had my x2 weekend win to get, and In this game I did everything a DD could do, I spotted ships, I used my AA ability to break up air attacks, used main guns to help finish off crippled enemies and fired no less than 85 torpedoes, and earned a Confederate achievement, so I was definitely spreading the love. And yet, my team still couldn't find a way to do enough to win. Time ran out just as I was immolated by the teams surviving ships. 

148,000 damage. 

Dammit. I know you can't win them all, but I really, really, really wanted to win this one. 

hZKyO0a.jpg

Edited by Falls_USMC

Let me look through my leagues of soul crushing defeats real quick

Ecmbx9v.jpg

OPFh82n.jpg

b9qPsNB.jpg

wuaY76t.jpg

Then a nice Mahan game, draws are still defeats in my book

SzWXXd0.jpg

NWOsO9S.jpg

iFORV5l.jpg

jmIqqvZ.jpg

Edited by KmsH44

OK, well I don't save photos of such defeats as I hate to relive such tragedies.  However, I do save good wins.  Usually, when someone has a good win, there is somebody who had this soul crushing defeat.  This is one such example that happened yesterday.  My team did the lemming train to the east.  I planned to simply screen west to keep the enemy in sight, disrupt as possible and keep my team apprised of the enemy coming west.  Well, the enemy apparently lemming train on my side (funny how teams often do this) and only me and 1 battleship between them and our CV and base.  We performed "retrograde operations" together.  I cannot just leave or my BB and CV will evaporate and our base will belong to them.  By the time the BB and CV  were finally killed, we had traversed the entire length of the southern half of the map and were now headed back north.  The enemy ships now chasing were a BB and 2 DD's against me.  They were single minded in their purpose......kill that damn DD (me).  They finally stopped hanging back and rushed me.  Once they had me spotted and me fresh out of smoke, well, it was over for me.  I took out one of the DD's on my way down.  The last DD on their team took me out.  I was his 5th kill.  But he was perilously low on health :teethhappy:.  One of the two derps left from my team took him out with one salvo. They then dispatched the enemy BB for our victory.  I salute you, Destroyer!  He worked hard and did well. Definitely a soul crushing defeat.  I only remove his name from the photo as I don't have his permission to post his name.  Well played, sir.

sNmoay9.jpg

Edited by greyfox2

Technically a draw, still a defeat in my books though. Most of my focus this game was spent trying to spot the enemy destroyers as two Shimakazes and a Fubuki could potentially really wreak the team. The sad part of this match is that the remaining Tirpitz was roughly half health and in firing range of a couple ships, and I had finally got sight on the Fubuki.

Torpedo hits were:

2x - Iowa

3x - Des Moines (he was running away from our battleships sailing in a nice, straight line)

1x - Shimakaze (scared him enough to beach himself, hit him through his smoke)

2x - Yamato

And the HE shells were all on the Shimakaze's and Fubuki. 

jygZlHJ.jpgzyOSosE.jpguH8iCKt.jpg

Had a domination game on North that boiled down to me and 2 other DDs fighting for our lives. I spent the entire game just stealth torping BBs in the Kagero for a 200,000 dmg point loss. 

HweHdks.jpg

Sorry Falls, I think that one was my fault. First I was playing garbage NO in a game with no CV - second my division mate was also in a NO. I took an early freak citadel too so I couldn't help all that much. You did play great though - I think that was last nights game. 

My best total game ever was a loss in Fletcher. 3 devestating strikes with 17 torpedo hits. 185k damage. The final kill was on a full life Baltimore that caught me out in the open so I had to charge him at 6 km - epic dodging put me on his side. My plan was to ram him but my torpedos came off cooldown just in time to send 5 fish right up his rear. Then I burned to a crisp from his fires. look up only to see that I had been derpitzed. If only I had a little more HP to outlive that fire I maybe could have killed a few more but alas - me sink.

Sorry Falls, I think that one was my fault. First I was playing garbage NO in a game with no CV - second my division mate was also in a NO. I took an early freak citadel too so I couldn't help all that much. You did play great though - I think that was last nights game. 

Hmmmm def don't remember seeing you in there, so I wouldn't sweat it, bro. If you'd just stop playing those silly Cruisers and drive real ships, we wouldn't be having this problem. :p

My very first battle in the Kagero, and BB's were just lining right up and driving straight.  The loss was partially my fault, I was trying to get to their cap, but an enemy NC sailed right up the channel I was in.  I put the brakes on, hid behind an island and popped him when he came around.  After that, I was a too short of time for the cap.bejaeq.jpg

I've been absolutely massacring in my Iowa and Tirpitz for the past couple days..... I have so many screenshots of ~150K+ games that it would take me 20 minutes just to upload all of them....

I'm already 1/2 way to Montana and I've only played 32 games in my Iowa... That just goes to show how much of a beast she is.

Heres my highest damage game so far in Iowa. 188k, first win of the day with flag, and premium.

fy215f.jpg
2gt15yv.jpg

And this isn't my best game in Tirpitz, but I'm damn proud of the score I got, considering this was a tier X battle. Solo'd a Monty by myself as well, scored a 50k citadel salvo on him from the start. First win of the day, flag, and premium.

pauqq.jpg

169kebo.jpg

Crap, I didn't read the whole title.... Sorry guys lol, just clicked on this on the main page on the forums so I had no idea that this was in the DD board. I have no DD losses to share as I don't play them. Ignore my above post.

Edited by MikeCMyers

Crap, I didn't read the whole title.... Sorry guys lol, just clicked on this on the main page on the forums so I had no idea that this was in the DD board. I have no DD losses to share as I don't play them. Ignore my above post.

hahaha it's all good man. All are welcome. Crazy good games, though. 

I had one earlier in the Clemson, with three kills and a Confederate award (my first), where it came down to me vs two New York's (plus a carrier, who was not involved). I torpedoed one of the New York's (didn't sink it), and I was trying to torpedo the other one, but I was on low health, and maneuvering too radically to line him up, and one of them sank me.

This round hurt pretty bad. I wound up completely alone the entire game defending our flank/cap from 3 Cruisers and 3 DDs. 2-Cap Dom so I couldn't just let them waltz into our base and score an easy win. It took them 16 minutes to sink me and I took down 3 of them before we did. Out dueled their Farragut while dodging 5-ships worth of incoming fire, sunk their Pensa with 2 torps + gunfire, sunk their Cleveland with the same, and got both of their hatsu's down to 1-2k hp before I died trying to hold onto our cap against the Aoba + 2 Hatsu's. The other 11 braindead lemmings who all pushed one side and didn't defend our cap at all lost to 7 enemy ships. GG team.

pknmQwk.jpg

Domination in Hotspot.

Battles was heat and tight, start to go bad when a lone Fubuki cap A before getting killed by our Tirpitz, whom didn't last long under the fire of 2 Tirpitz in NE. I only have time to take out 1.

Our last Tirpitz is in the middle and too far away land lethal shot on that Tirpitz while I was busy killing the Tirpitz sitting at C and cap it back...times up and it's a dozen points lose. 

156df77.jpg

2ag0ljr.jpg9fr1px.jpg

intertex's game reminded me of this one:

2-cap Domination on North:

Started out with taking an opportunistic torpedo spread on an Atago, devastating him while spotting a Fubuki and doing damage to the Fubuki while an allied cruiser took him out.  Pretty uneventful with only a couple hits here and there until at the 7:30min mark we were down to me, a mogami at 9k health and a tirpitz at 30k against their 3x montana (one full, one 56k, one 50k), a 30k zao, 13k Amagi and 45k Iowa. While their Zao was chasing our mogami and heading to our cap and our tirpitz was getting focused, I was left with the 5 battleships and just enough time to take out 4 of them and win on points if I hit 4/4 salvos. The first salvo (fired at 7:32) took out the 56k montana, second the full health montana and I started to have a hope. A big whiff on the 3rd at the Iowa (didn't think he was going to keep turning, but he did) led to me knowing the game was lost, but despite knowing at that I fired the last salvo on the remaining Montana just to see if I could get him and sure enough he went down with 3 seconds left in the match.

What made it so soul crushing was that I essentially lost it for us by poor mid-game play, had a chance to redeem myself by making 4 perfect devastating strikes and came so close to making it happen. 

And as an aside, doing 100% damage to a Montana in a single salvo feels pretty dang good.

2HYAR3M.jpgPBbVnA2.jpgp0P5X7O.jpg

Edited by Neltak

not a loss, but a draw.  my highest dmg  game with minekazi. just today.   at the end  I was down to me down to nearly dead  and the carrier  vs  2 BB  both heavily damaged.          launched a salvo at one when the time ran out.

dr8mf5.png

34sfha9.png