Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RMS_Gigantic

USS South Dakota

11 comments in this topic

[-YK-]
Beta Testers
847 posts
20,217 battles

Everyone else is posting Youtube videos on warships, so I figured I'd join in :Smile_teethhappy:

Embedding is disabled, so you will need to watch it on Youtube.

• Cool 1

Members
18 posts

The South Dakota was one of the most overrated ships in WWII. Read Richard Frank's Guadalcanal for a comparison of the performance of USS South Dakota versus USS Washington.

Alpha Tester
1,054 posts
5,550 battles

View Postjausten, on 17 September 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

The South Dakota was one of the most overrated ships in WWII. Read Richard Frank's Guadalcanal for a comparison of the performance of USS South Dakota versus USS Washington.

Agreed, that's probably why the South Dakota is going be a U.S. tier 8.  I do have to say, though.  It had fantastic guns.
Edited by Coldt

Alpha Tester
4,720 posts
12 battles

Of course the South Dakota absorved most of the enemy fire in that battle allowing USS Washington to manuever freelly and fire at the attacking enemy ships.

edit: And while she was taking heavy damage from enemy fire she managed to score numerous hits on several enemy vessels
Edited by Windhover118

Alpha Tester
506 posts
896 battles

This is a similar argument to arguing that the fluke hit on Saratoga right in the exact wrong place proves that turboelectric drives are fragile. The South Dakota had a bit of trouble with its electricity. Need I mention why the North Carolina got called the Showboat?

The South Dakota was an excellent design for the war. It was a design that got the same speed and armament as the North Carolinas while having much better armor. It sacrificed accommodations to achieve this which led to the class' early postwar demise, but the design was excellent.

Members
1 post
12,635 battles

I had the opportunity to go aboard the USS Iowa on Sunday Sept. 9, 2012. It just recently opened to the public in San Pedro Ca.. It was my first time on a Battleship. I must say it was very impressive. The only thing I was disappointed with, was when they modernized it, they took all the smaller anti-aircraft guns off. To me a Battleship isn't a Battleship if it isn't bristling with all those smaller guns !

Alpha Tester
5,710 posts
2,411 battles

View PostGraybear1948, on 20 September 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

I had the opportunity to go aboard the USS Iowa on Sunday Sept. 9, 2012. It just recently opened to the public in San Pedro Ca.. It was my first time on a Battleship. I must say it was very impressive. The only thing I was disappointed with, was when they modernized it, they took all the smaller anti-aircraft guns off. To me a Battleship isn't a Battleship if it isn't bristling with all those smaller guns !

Yeah the anti aircraft/missile 4 × 20 mm (78 inch).Phalanx CIWS (the mini guns) kinda make light AA guns redundant, and the heavier 5" guns can shoot both surface and Air targets anyway.

Sign in to follow this