Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Darquenova

IJN Battleship How to

10 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
266 battles

I need help. I like the idea behind the IJN Battleship, i'm just not sure if l'm playing it correctly. I am keeping my distance and basically using range advantage to not attract to much attention. But because of accuracy issues i'm pretty much not effective. So i go into brawling range hoping for some citadels and more then the basic 1K damage and ultimately l end up torp to death before i can even get a shot off in some cases. I am currently in a stock Kongo grinding XP for upgrades but it is slow going.

Any advice?

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,391 battles

Kongo is fast and has range. Stay a little back, not brawling or you get creamed. Use AP and target the bigger prey, waterline shots trying to get a citadel.

There are good videos for training you to drive BBs, including some for Kongo specifically. Search YouTube.

Members
67 posts
1,412 battles

Hello! I'll give you a few advices based on my own experience with Kongo.

first things first, one of Kongo's main advantage is her high manoeverability. I can't remember how good it was at stock (probably not much) but once i had bought the manoeverability upgrade (the one you have to research with XP), she was very good. I usually buy manoeverability upgrades in all my BBs, and recommand anyone going for them to do so aswell.

next, once you got your manoeverability upgrade, you'll want to get the second hull. Like all INJ battleships, the stock hull is bad. But the B hull with transform them into monsters. Fully upgraded, AND when you have the accuracy upgrade, which you can buy at any given time, and thrust me, you will want it, Kongo is extremely enjoyeable, and as long as you don't meet enemy battleships of higher tier, you should be all good. 

Now, about gameplay. Fully upgraded, with accuracy mod, Kongo is a beast. She feels like playing a cruiser, with large guns. You will make, with a bit of experience, CV and DD players cry as their torpedoes completely miss your ship (if you learned how to dodge)

At long ranges, Kongo is also very accurare, and her paper-armor encourages you to go in said playstyle. Follow the cruisers, stay in the back of the fleet, and keep those shots comming, aiming at distracted player's citadels, and don't forget to watch for the torpedoes. While i can honestly say that DDs are still a threat if you let them come close, your manoeverability, range, and damage, as long as you keep away from them or keep them at ranges like 7km maximum, you will have no problem dealing with them.

edit: Important notice, worth for all BB drivers: when you see a DD comming close, depending on the range, you should be running away. Their torpedoes are perticularely painfull if they hit, however a DD that fires his torpedoes at a battleship moving away from it, or at least going left and right and changing speed will be very unlikely to see his torpedoes ever comming close. 

Edited by Admiral_Matzerg

Members
9 posts
266 battles

So you guys agree. Keep range and get better at aiming? I'm normally very choosy about my target and will move on if i don't think it's a good shot. Thanks guys i'll do some more research and continue the slog. Thanks again.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

No.  The range is a bonus.  Definitely take whatever shots you need to at 18km+, but you really want to be between 12-15km, and don't be afraid to close the distance further as the match goes on.  Your armor is fine when angled.  Consistent damage comes from managing your range properly.

Members
9 posts
266 battles

No.  The range is a bonus.  Definitely take whatever shots you need to at 18km+, but you really want to be between 12-15km, and don't be afraid to close the distance further as the match goes on.  Your armor is fine when angled.  Consistent damage comes from managing your range properly.

I think that's part of the issue i have. Whenever i do close range it's too far and then i'm not able to pull back. I'll try to stick between 12-15 and see how that goes. 

Alpha Tester
1,312 posts
4,574 battles

I need help. I like the idea behind the IJN Battleship, i'm just not sure if l'm playing it correctly. I am keeping my distance and basically using range advantage to not attract to much attention. But because of accuracy issues i'm pretty much not effective. So i go into brawling range hoping for some citadels and more then the basic 1K damage and ultimately l end up torp to death before i can even get a shot off in some cases. I am currently in a stock Kongo grinding XP for upgrades but it is slow going.

Any advice?

F*CK FEAR.

Members
944 posts
2,251 battles

I find the speed of a Kongo well useful can indeed give you a situation where you end up hanging out too far forward. don't be afraid to NOT move at full speed and wait until the enemy is mixing it up. 

In a Kongo BTW my prefered prey is the Wyoming. I find it's easy to hit, and tends to fall apart swiftly under my shell fire.

Members
67 posts
1,412 battles

I can only agree with this. Especially the angling part. While it is true that your armor is weak, if you angle it, it should still be good enough to keep ou alive, should you need to fight in closer ranges. But angling your armor at all time is excellent aswell.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

I think that's part of the issue i have. Whenever i do close range it's too far and then i'm not able to pull back. I'll try to stick between 12-15 and see how that goes. 

It's hard to explain how/when is too far, but let's use Two Brothers as an example.  I typically play the eastern half of the map, and I'll sail towards the enemy at full throttle until contact is made.  Once I've got targets, they're probably at about 18km at first.  I'll angle towards them and cut throttle to 1/2 or 1/4 depending on what enemies I see and what my teammates are doing.  This usually gives me a few minutes of shooting at broadside targets while keeping an angled profile of my own.  Once I'm within 14-15km of the enemy, I'll start turning back towards the top of the map at full throttle, trying to make sure that I'm not turning into a battleship's broadside or a torpedo spread.  The full throttle turn will usually take me within 12km of some enemy ship, and I'll angle myself so that my rear is pointing towards them and I'm sailing away at 1/4 speed.  If my team is still hanging around me, I'll soon turn back towards the enemy and press the issue.  If not, or if there are kinks in the plan (planes are focusing me, there are too many enemy destroyers keeping torp waves out), I'm already pointing the direction I need to fall back in.  I don't recommend ever coming to a full stop (caught at 0 knots with torps on the way = dead), but if you like your position, it's fine to move slowly until you need to do otherwise.

TL;DR:  Advance to where you can, using angling and 1/4 or 1/2 speed once you're in the position you want.  Be mindful of what the enemy and the rest of your team is doing, and use that information to decide if you need to advance or fall back.  The things to control are whether you're angled towards or away from the enemy, and balance your speed as needed.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
17 posts
4,618 battles

Angling well and positioning yourself so you're aware of your surroundings are the most important parts of playing a BB. You don't have a lot to do with 30-35sec reloads, so it's worth putting some effort into angling and positioning. This'll become especially important on the Nagato as she has a hugeass citadel. Leave your broadside open to enemy battleships for a moment and you'll be eating 30ks per shot. Angle and steer well and you'll might even get off a couple of citadels taking no damage. When you're getting chased by multiple BBs, it's a good idea to keep a mental note of which battleships fired when, because you know it'll take another ~30 seconds for them to load again. This is valuable information because if you have to turn around, change course to avoid island, etc, you'll get a ~30 second duration where you're free to show your broadside to them. Additionally it's fun to run away, weaving and shooting while being chased by like half the enemy team. I won a couple of games just by luring half the enemy team corner of the map while shooting (and I killed a couple while running) as my teammates suddenly appeared on their flag and panic panic panic.

If you're getting torped to death (exclude CV drops) it either means you're getting too close to destroyers and IJN cruisers or you're sailing in a straight line. As a rule of thumb I never let myself be within 6km of something that can torp unless I plan to kill it in the next salvo. Given the shell dispersion it's always risky to do so even if you're a surefire aimer. And I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but twist and turn consistently to throw off the torpedo prediction. Thankfully this is something that comes naturally once you master how to angle, because you'll be driving in zigzags and you'll feel that *ping* of satisfaction as ap shells bounce off your bow and stern.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this