You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArmouredCarriers

Raise the Yamato?

46 comments in this topic

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,582 battles

submitted without comment...

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/07/28/national/history/ldp-lawmakers-aim-raise-battleship-yamato-wreckage/#.VeoMJRGqpBf

LDP lawmakers aim to raise battleship Yamato wreckage

A group of Liberal Democratic Party lawmakers is considering whether the government can launch a project to salvage wreckage from the World War II battleship Yamato from the bottom of the East China Sea.

The lawmakers are also considering collecting the remains of the Imperial Japanese Navy crew members who died when the ship was sunk April 7, 1945, by the U.S. Navy as it steamed toward Okinawa.

According to sources, the group believes the project would highlight Japan’s pledge never to wage war again as this year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II.

The Yamato was built in Kure, Hiroshima Prefecture, in 1941. It was carrying a crew of 3,332 when it sank in some 350 meters of water. Of them, 3,056 died.

The LDP group began meetings on the possible project on July 16, talking to government officials and the head of the Yamato Museum in Kure, to discuss ways to recover the wreckage.

The group plans to ask the government to cover research costs to gather images of the battleship and study the project’s technical feasibility.

The government is cautious about such projects.

A health ministry official said collecting the remains of sailors lost at sea is not allowed because the government recognizes the ocean as the grave of a crew member who dies while serving aboard a ship.

The Cultural Affairs Agency said that since the ship sank outside Japan’s territorial waters, it can’t conduct research under the country’s cultural assets preservation law.

While some relatives of the crew have called for the recovering the Yamato’s wreckage, others favor leaving it as it is.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

War Graves should just be left alone.

• Cool 4

Members
158 posts
698 battles

theyre pulling a hunk of metal out of the sea, not spitting on anyone's tombstone. people are ao sensitive.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

theyre pulling a hunk of metal out of the sea, not spitting on anyone's tombstone. people are ao sensitive.

The ship itself is a grave of over 3000 people.

[KFL]
Alpha Tester
1,307 posts
5,792 battles

True but it is a two-sided arguements which are both right .

[CMFRT]
Alpha Tester
9,364 posts
26 battles

The Western concept of war graves does not apply in East Asia. 

Beta Testers
966 posts

I'm fairly certain there's a couple of people entombed within that ship.

But seeing as it's a different culture, I'm of the firm opinion that Japan and Japan only should have the only say in what's being done.

Edited by Tears_of_Destiny
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
262 posts
685 battles

You know, this topic is very similar to the arizona topic but with differences. IMO, if japan wants to raise her then let them. I understand that she is a war grave but if the country of her origin wants to raise her then let them. 

• Cool 1

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,495 battles

Yamato could sit somewhere as a daunting lesson as why you don't attack a sleeping dragon.

Members
158 posts
698 battles

But seeing as it's a different culture, I'm of the firm opinion that Japan and Japan only should have the only say in what's being done.

im sure there are more than a couple, but in my opinion its not disrespectful to lift a dead ship out of the water, the bodies are most likely decayed and broken down by the salt water by now. they arent trying to be disrespectful, theyre just trying to recover a peice of history, so that those who did die on the ship may be properly remembered.

Alpha Tester
1,376 posts
1,224 battles

It's easy to say they want to do it, the real question is whether they could pull it off. 

The Yamato was bombed and torpedoed to within an inch of its life, when it sank the magazines exploded, and pieces of it are scattered across the sea floor. 

Even if by some miracle that they can justify using the money for such an ambitious project, the resulting thing they pull from the water is not going to be pretty.The ship led a short but hectic life. Better to let her rest quietly and be remembered for what she was rather than break her up more so people may gape at her wreckage.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

^^This.

More specifically, the remaining family members of the deceased sailors.

[7CR]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
782 posts
2,818 battles

Japanese culture and religion have vast differences from American "culture".  I'd say it's up to them to decide, no one else.

0 posts

As much as I love a good old battleship, and the Yamato at that, it would be more cost-effective to simply build a replica at 1:1 scale. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,620 posts
1,238 battles

My question is why are they digging her up? Just to scrap her or for historical/emotional reasons? If they want to just scrap her how much would digging her up cost and how much would they get out of it? If it is for historical/emotional reasons and Japan doesn't have the same views as us on their war graves then yeah dig her up. I don't really agree with it but my opinion doesn't matter to them. Also how badly would that hurt the ecosystem? No doubt after many decades of being down there she has become the home of sea life.

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

I would have to agree about leaving the men aboard remain in place for their eternal watch and let them rest in peace, however if they do decide to raise it, hopefully they would have the common sense to give the remains they find aboard (if any after this long) a proper military burial. Although they were our enemy, they were soldiers who died in service to their country none the less.

Members
113 posts
1,120 battles

Don't see how that would work. The wreck isn't exactly in good condition.

L6uMXv9.jpg

For the cost of bringing it up and making it recognizable, you could pretty much build another ship specifically for a museum. Then there's the ethical debate about war graves and coral reefs.

I suppose they could try raising a turret but even that is nearly 2800 tons of steel you somehow have to get off the ocean floor. Only good news is it's relatively shallow water.

[-VT-]
Alpha Tester
2,641 posts
14,049 battles

Someone should tell China that, they are salvaging wrecks all over Indo-china waters, treaties be damned. 

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

I myself have no opinion on the "war graves" subject, but I do see a flaw in the plan to raise the Yamato. The ship was torn apart when its powder magazine detonated as it sunk. The ship is in pieces and after 70 years of sitting on the ocean floor, those pieces are liable to be in a state of decay that would cause them to fall apart if they were to be moved.

Members
1 post
1,331 battles

Imagine how much money you could get for scrapping it!

At todays scrap steel prices about 25 million dollars. That is taking the weight and converting it to metric tons and checking the scrap steel price ( $380 per metric ton). There would be some brass, copper and other metals but how much is any one guess. Also the condition of the steel after 70 year on the bottom of the ocean is questionable at best.

Red