Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lady_Athena

Still feel like CL > BB

76 comments in this topic

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,176 posts
3,088 battles

I quit playing for a month or two before the patch came out. I played again yesterday and today. Yesterday was fairly good games, but today? sheez...

All the semi competent players came out, who can nail a penny traveling 900mph from 2 lightyears away. Every single Cruiser volley on me is landing dead center perfectly and very few shells ever missing..

Now if memory serves me right, weren't they supposed to have increased the BB's spread as well at medium/close range? How does it make sense that these terrors of the sea's (cruisers) get a faster reload by over 2x, pretty decent armor to shrug off some BB hits, faster damage control, better turning, over all nearly 2 to 3 times the DPS output, and the ability to make smoothies, and the BB suffers in every single way possible in comparison?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think BB's should be trampling all over cruisers, but cruisers can still go 1v1 and have no fear what so ever of that BB at any range. I'm not a bad shot either. But the RNG of the BB's are still pretty troll in terms of how laser accurate Cruiser fire is in comparison at the same ranges, coupled with the 2-3x faster reload, and damage output...

Seems like my BB catches fire about 3x easier now as well... idk why. Sure BB's are basically floating match boxes before, but now it seems like someone threw on gasoline ontop of it.

I know what people say, and I do it myself, "oh I have no problem against cruisers, just hit their citadel!" well easier said than done, and yes a BB can make short work of any ship doing that.. buuut.. when you've lost ove rhalf your HP in fire damage, and concentrated hits on your citadel as well... you only get a few  chances to make a crit hit... and if BB's need to rely on a perfectly well aimed shot + lucky dice roll to win against a cruiser? Something is terribly wrong, especially if that cruiser can hit that BB anywhere repeatedly in a constant stream of volleys doing constant and permanent bleed damage.

Idk if this is news to you WG.. but.. you know.... It's not fun

Edit: 9/10/2015

I have to say [edited]on most of the people who responded to this. Sorry, just saying.

When all my shots are straddling the cruiser I'm shooting at in every game, and shells landing on all sides of him, and my few HE shells that hit don't cause fires, then 1 of his sets my ship ablaze, and this happens repeatedly, I call [edited].

Unless I have perfect aim, or am favored by RNG gods, any half competent cruiser will chunk my hp to half by the time I can destroy him. More HP if it's a good cruiser captain.

Some of my shots are off, yes, most are pretty damn good, but with RNG, you have to be perfect or your BB shots won't be worth crap. you're a massive, slow lumbering target that's easy as [edited]to hit at any range. Yet you have the worse RNG spread in the game by far, Cruisers of the same tier have a much tighter, and much more guns in all firing on you, with a way higher ROF. The burning + HE damage is substantially massive in comparison to the damage your BB potentially can put out, unless your luck is good that is. Most cases RNG is gonna troll you though and you'l see that Cruiser herpa derp itself as your shots land feebly on both sides of it despite the shot being dead center. All the while he's laughing as his nearly perfect spread slams 8+ shells every time into your deck. This is balanced how?

BB's remind me of SPG's in WoT (no I'm not making a comparison directly, they aren't anything alike). How both are heavily depended on RNG and luck in shots landing, and they can either do a huge chunk of damage, or nothing at all. While BB's have a bit more skill involved in landing the shot, they essentially are in the same category of "all or nothing". While every other ship gets all the benefits of faster moving, better turning, more accurate guns, higher ROF, hell even the destroyers get all of this + the monstrous damage output of a BB with its torpedo's, and even potentially the highest damage output in the entire game. Which aren't subject to any RNG what so ever.

So until I hear adequate defense of why Cruisers aren't OP, I have to call [edited]on all the responses on the first page.

Edited by Lady_Athena
  • Cool 2

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

I have never felt disadvantaged in my battleship against a cruiser. With the removal of the dead angles that were added in OBT, it's pretty much a given that your shells will citadel when you land a hit, and with the most recent patch, the spread is even tighter.

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

Now if memory serves me right, weren't they supposed to have increased the BB's spread as well at medium/close range?

How does it make sense that these terrors of the sea's (cruisers) get a faster reload by over 2x, pretty decent armor to shrug off some BB hits, faster damage control, better turning, over all nearly 2 to 3 times the DPS output, and the ability to make smoothies, and the BB suffers in every single way possible in comparison?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think BB's should be trampling all over cruisers, but cruisers can still go 1v1 and have no fear what so ever of that BB at any range

It's not fun

Below 4km.

And yet BBs do more damage per game on average. Weird how that is, right? http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20150818a/average_ship.html#all

I love citadeling cruisers "that have no fear of BB at any range", keep 'em coming :D

If playing BBs is not fun, then don't play them. Play the supposedly OP cruisers. Problem solved.

• Cool 1

[KSF]
[KSF]
Members
191 posts
11,667 battles

I love how cruisers deal less damage  and lower win rates on average than bbs if you look at the stats but you still get posts about cruisers being op.

[-K--]
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

okay, isnt CA an abbreviation for cruisers as well? i thought CL was for light cruisers.

CA is heavy cruisers.

Here are some other cruiser abbreviations, if you're interested :)

C -- protected cruiser.
CAG -- guided missile heavy cruiser.
CB -- large cruiser.
CC -- battle cruiser; or command ship.

CF -- flying-deck cruiser.
CG -- guided missile cruiser.
CGN -- guided missile cruiser (nuclear propulsion).

CLAA -- Antiaircraft light cruiser.
CLG -- guided missile light cruiser.
CLK -- cruiser hunter-killer ship.

There are also cruisers submarines (SC / SSC), and the universal cruiser (UN-CR)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
49 posts
4,637 battles

This is simply my personal experience. In my New Mexico, I stomp all over Clevelands. However, if you're alone and facing 3+ cruisers, don't expect to win the fight.

In a 1v1 against a cleveland (arguably the best light cruiser), here's what you should do:

PRE-BATTLE:

1. Make sure your DC is off cooldown.

2. Get close enough to ensure at least a few hits.

3. Have your Repair Party ready.

DURING BATTLE:

1. It depends how good the cleveland player is, how quickly you will defeat him/her. If it is a bad cleveland player, you will 1-2 shot them. If it is a good player, you WILL take a lot of fire damage.

2. If the cleveland is bad (shows you their full broadside, sailing in a straight line at a constant speed), simply fire and aim  under their forward and aft superstructure. In the center, there is no citadel, and the guns are too small caliber to have citadels under them.

3. If the cleveland is good, they will approach you at a moderate-to-heavy angle. Fire half of your guns- Almost all of the clevelands I've faced have thought "Oh, cool, he fired, 30 seconds of free HE rain for me!" And turn broadside. After this, refer to step 2 on where to aim.

4. If the cleveland is SMART, he will not try to engage you 1v1. If he turns away, turn away as well- You will never catch one running from you at full speed. You may re-engage later if you both survive until then.

***5. NEVER EVER EVER use your DC during a fight with a cleveland. ALWAYS let fires burn while fighting one, unless you're on perilously low health.

POST-BATTLE:

1. If there are fires still burning on your ship, consider the following:

a) Are there any other CAs/DDs/planes in the area? If so, let the fires burn out.

b) Are there 3+ fires with 20+ seconds remaining? If so, use your DC and put the fires out.

c) Are you still with most of your health? If so, let 2/1 fires burn out.

2. When the fires go out for good, use your Repair Party and fix the majority of the damage the cleveland caused you. If necessary, use a second Repair Party and fix all of the damage sustained during the fight.

Edited by Floating_Citadel
  • Cool 4

[PLPT]
Beta Testers
287 posts
3,121 battles

Every single Cruiser volley on me is landing dead center perfectly and very few shells ever missing..

pretty decent armor to shrug off some BB hits

Seems like my BB catches fire about 3x easier now as well... idk why. Sure BB's are basically floating match boxes before, but now it seems like someone threw on gasoline ontop of it.

BB's need to rely on a perfectly well aimed shot + lucky dice roll to win against a cruiser? 

What game are you playing? This is not my experience AT ALL. My BBs have tons of HP and can heal up almost all of that wimpy HE and fire damage that CLs throw at me. Sure, there is a constant pew-pew-pew from the CLs, but then they make one turn and my broadside lands and half their HP is gone. So they turn and try to run and I wait 30 seconds to reload and hit them again and now they are dead. Then I damage control the fires and press my repair and I am almost full health again.

My experience is that BB players who complain about being weak tend to worry about any damage that they get, especially fire damage, without realizing that BBs are meant to take damage. That's their special ability. All too often I see a BB driver get set on fire and immediately use their Damage Control ability. That's not how you do it. Savor the fire. Luxuriate in the fire damage. It will almost all get healed when you use Repair. Save that Damage Control for when there are 3+ fires, or you have Flooding.

TL;DR: absorb all the damage that the CL can throw out, blow him away, then repair

Edited by Doc_Skinner
  • Cool 2

Members
158 posts
687 battles

CA is heavy cruisers.

Here are some other cruiser abbreviations, if you're interested :)

C -- protected cruiser; commanding officer.
CAG -- guided missile heavy cruiser.
CB -- large cruiser.
CC -- battle cruiser; or command ship.

CF -- flying-deck cruiser.
CG -- guided missile cruiser.
CGN -- -guided missile cruiser (nuclear propulsion).

CLAA -- Antiaircraft light cruiser.
CLG -- guided missile light cruiser.
CLK -- cruiser hunter-killer ship.

There are also cruisers submarines (SC / SSC), and the universal cruiser (UN-CR) :)

thats alot of cruisers...i knew there was more than one abbreviation, but i didnt know there were that many 

[-K--]
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

thats alot of cruisers...i knew there was more than one abbreviation, but i didnt know there were that many 

If you want to truly appreciate naval ingenuity at coming up with abbreviations for ship classes, look here: http://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/abbreviations.html

[PLPT]
Beta Testers
287 posts
3,121 battles

Also, the "C" in "CV" comes from the same cruiser designation, as carriers were initially seen as performing scouting and raiding missions that cruisers were doing. CV stands for "Cruiser, Voler" (from the French, meaning heavier-than-air craft).

Edited by Doc_Skinner

[-K--]
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

Also, the "C" in "CV" comes from the same cruiser designation, as carriers were initially seen as performing scouting and raiding missions that cruisers were doing. CV stands for "Cruiser, Voler" (from the French, meaning heavier-than-air craft).

Yep. Many people assume that CV stands for "carrier vessel", which is incorrect.

Beta Testers
120 posts
902 battles

I dunno but I ran my NY in a couple battles yesterday and I swear I was splicing targets more than I remember. Accuracy seems worse, not better to me, but I'll also admit I'm not a daily BB driver. Spliced a DD who was sitting completely motionless at 7k and perfectly broadside to me. I haven't had a complete splice from that distance in a long time, but it actually happened several times yesterday on different targets at different ranges. Most were what I'd consider medium range, 6-8k. I was really surprised. I thought BBs were supposed to be "slightly" more accurate after the short range accuracy buff, not worse.

Members
158 posts
687 battles

Yep. Many people assume that CV stands for "carrier vessel", which is incorrect.

funny, thats exactly what i presumed at first, but i dont know much about military designations.

Alpha Tester
1,730 posts
1,193 battles

I primarily play cruisers because they can flex more and because I have nostalgia for the cruisers being the true work horses of the navy. What I fear least in the game is battleships and what I fear more is ninja DDs. Almost all the CLs save some IJN ones either match or exceed the range of battleships for their tiers. My shots are more clustered so if I guess the lead right most will land. If he guesses right RNG will say LOL NOPE when I turn and present an end to his incoming fire. 

• Cool 1

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

I love how cruisers deal less damage  and lower win rates on average than bbs if you look at the stats but you still get posts about cruisers being op.

Because they feel more OP to play.

You might wreck a cruiser with a single salvo, but the entire time they're spamming HE at you...while you can't do anything....that causes the complaints. Not everyone looks at statistics, just saying.

Edit: actually, now that I think of it, there's a really easy potential solution to cruisers are OP: 

Simply change the sound effect for a small calibre gun hit to sound weaker, and make the VFX for a single fire less 'in your face'

'Cruisers are OP' is not a statistical quantifiable problem, it's a perception problem. If you change the SFX and VFX, you change how HE spam and fires are perceived, and you solve the problem. Just a thought.

Edited by issm
  • Cool 1

[FLEX]
Beta Testers
275 posts
4,801 battles

This is simply my personal experience. In my New Mexico, I stomp all over Clevelands. However, if you're alone and facing 3+ cruisers, don't expect to win the fight.

In a 1v1 against a cleveland (arguably the best light cruiser), here's what you should do:

PRE-BATTLE:

1. Make sure your DC is off cooldown.

2. Get close enough to ensure at least a few hits.

3. Have your Repair Party ready.

DURING BATTLE:

1. It depends how good the cleveland player is, how quickly you will defeat him/her. If it is a bad cleveland player, you will 1-2 shot them. If it is a good player, you WILL take a lot of fire damage.

2. If the cleveland is bad (shows you their full broadside, sailing in a straight line at a constant speed), simply fire and aim  under their forward and aft superstructure. In the center, there is no citadel, and the guns are too small caliber to have citadels under them.

3. If the cleveland is good, they will approach you at a moderate-to-heavy angle. Fire half of your guns- Almost all of the clevelands I've faced have thought "Oh, cool, he fired, 30 seconds of free HE rain for me!" And turn broadside. After this, refer to step 2 on where to aim.

4. If the cleveland is SMART, he will not try to engage you 1v1. If he turns away, turn away as well- You will never catch one running from you at full speed. You may re-engage later if you both survive until then.

***5. NEVER EVER EVER use your DC during a fight with a cleveland. ALWAYS let fires burn while fighting one, unless you're on perilously low health.

POST-BATTLE:

1. If there are fires still burning on your ship, consider the following:

a) Are there any other CAs/DDs/planes in the area? If so, let the fires burn out.

b) Are there 3+ fires with 20+ seconds remaining? If so, use your DC and put the fires out.

c) Are you still with most of your health? If so, let 2/1 fires burn out.

2. When the fires go out for good, use your Repair Party and fix the majority of the damage the cleveland caused you. If necessary, use a second Repair Party and fix all of the damage sustained during the fight.

This is a pretty excellent guide.  When I fight a BB 1v1 in a CL... I love to see that fire repair after the first HE volley.   I know I'll be scoring 15-20+K fire damage even if I die to citadel hits
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
4,272 posts
9,133 battles

The good CL drivers will stay at a range where their dodging will matter more so they can burn you down. If a CL lets you get close and he doesn't have torpedoes, he is as good as yours unless RNG loves him in those moments or your aim gets thrown off.

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

A BB will beat a cruiser of the same tier or even one or two higher depending on the player with ease

Members
709 posts
6,496 battles

The good CL drivers will stay at a range where their dodging will matter more so they can burn you down. If a CL lets you get close and he doesn't have torpedoes, he is as good as yours unless RNG loves him in those moments or your aim gets thrown off.

In the case of cruisers with high arcing fire, I prefer they stay out at range. They hit a lot less plus some maneuvering will negate even more of their damage. 

But yes, let them get in that sweet spot and own em! I love when they play peek-a-boo behind rocks. 

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,176 posts
3,088 battles

I have to say [edited]on most of the people who responded to this. Sorry, just saying.

When all my shots are straddlnig the cruiser I'm shootin gat in every game, and shells landing on all sides of him, and my few HE shells that hit don't cause fires, then 1 of his sets my ship ablaze, and this happens repeatedly, I call [edited].

Unless I have perfect aim, or am favored by RNG gods, any half competent cruiser will chunk my hp to half by the time I can destroy him. More HP if it's a good cruiser captain.

Some of my shots are off, yes, most are pretty damn good, but with RNG, you have to be perfect or your BB shots won't be worth crap. you're a massive, slow lumbering target that's easy as [edited]to hit at any range. Yet you have the worse RNG spread in the game by far, Cruisers of the same tier have a much tighter, and much more guns in all firing on you, with a way higher ROF. The burning + HE damage is substantially massive in comparison to the damage your BB potentially can put out, unless your luck is good that is. Most cases RNG is gonna troll you though and you'l see that Cruiser herpa derp itself as your shots land feebly on both sides of it despite the shot being dead center. All the while he's laughing as his nearly perfect spread slams 8+ shells every time into your deck. This is balanced how?

BB's remind me of SPG's in WoT (no I'm not making a comparison directly, they aren't anything alike). How both are heavily depended on RNG and luck in shots landing, and they can either do a huge chunk of damage, or nothing at all. While BB's have a bit more skill involved in landing the shot, they essentially are in the same category of "all or nothing". While every other ship gets all the benefits of faster moving, better turning, more accurate guns, higher ROF, hell even the destroyers get all of this + the monstrous damage output of a BB with its torpedo's, which aren't subject to any RNG what so ever.

So until I hear adequate defense of why Cruisers aren't OP, I have to call [edited]on all the responses on the first page.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

A bad or average player in a cruiser at low tiers will usually beat a bad or average player in a battleship at low tiers.  Increasing skill and increasing tiers are heavily weighted in favor of battleships, as they scale up exponentially, while cruisers peak at tiers 5-6 and only gain incremental power from there.  Interpret or apply that however you choose.

Too many people look at this game through the lens of their own experience and decide that X class is too good, while Y class sucks, simply because their personal preference or abilities favors the one over the other.  Simply looking at actual numbers will show you that cruisers and destroyers both level off in the mid tiers, while battleships and carriers take over the game at tier 8 and above.  I actually don't understand how more people don't grasp how easy/strong battleships are, and am a bit worried that they'll eventually be nerfed or given a cap of 3-4 per team like carriers.

Edited by Mesrith

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

If you have a hard time dealing with cruisers it's an issue with you not the BBs.  Yes, a BB vs 4 cruisers is likely to burn, but will probably take down at least two enemy cruisers with it.  Don't engage a whole pack of cruisers inside their firing range, you have a longer range.  Abuse it.  Even if you miss 75% of your shots literally one volley will end a CL in your MM range.  

BB deal tons more damage than CAs, have a ton more armor and health, get more exp and credits on average.  There is nothing wrong with BBs.

Sign in to follow this