Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Peregrinas

Call me a noob but I *just* realized that...

16 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,490 battles

If you have a lock on someone, you can still shoot over an island that's blocking your view. Up until now, I thought that wherever you were aiming at, that's where your shots will land. Even the distance and time to target indicators would change as land blocked my view.

At least now I know I can shoot at targets passing behind islands with my Cleveland, thanks to its high arcs! (As long as I can either see where their waterline is, or their course doesn't change so I know roughly where to shoot)

This also explains how I've been hit while hiding very close to an island.

• Cool 1

-Members-
397 posts
979 battles

Sometimes you can lose a few shots on the top of the island, but high arcing shells can indeed hit ships behind islands... The more you know :)

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,840 battles

I've seen some people really abuse this. Park a ship with high fire arcs (USN DDs, Cleveland, etc) behind a natural obstacle that's blocked from the enemy team's direct shots, and rain hell on enemy's heads with impunity.

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

I've seen some people really abuse this. Park a ship with high fire arcs (USN DDs, Cleveland, etc) behind a natural obstacle that's blocked from the enemy team's direct shots, and rain hell on enemy's heads with impunity.

Is it abuse or smart play?  ...to me that seems smart.

Also, the reason this is the case (op) is that range is set based upon your lock.  If you simply point and shoot without a lock its very hard to hit something at any distance.

• Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,490 battles

Also, the reason this is the case (op) is that range is set based upon your lock.  If you simply point and shoot without a lock its very hard to hit something at any distance.

Well I had simply figured that locking only tracks a target, which then allows you to fine tune any horizontal aiming.

Beta Testers
576 posts
1,158 battles

There are lots of things that new players may never realize.

So a running list of features that I think new players don't know are;

1.  You can change your consumables (scout planes, smoke screens, battleship healing) from type-1 to faster/better type-2 (for Dabloons), but you can also click on the Dabloons and change it to in-game credits.  You can have the good ones, but you won't make credits as much that way.

2.  Torpedo spreads can be changed from wide to narrow by just double tapping the torpedo weapon button (usually keyboard number 3).

3.  Ammo can be forced to reload if you just double tap the ammo type button (1 or 2).  I see this a lot in low tier games where battleships will fire off a salvo of High Explosive ammo into an island 30 seconds after the game starts to load AP.

4.  The whole "Hold down the Alt Key" to set a manual drop for dive bombers and torpedo planes.  I also see Langley's and Hosho's using automatic attacks all the time.

5.  You can hold down the Control Key and target a specific enemy plane or ship for your automatic AA and secondary guns to fire at.

6.  You can hold down the Control Key and hover the mouse cursor over your buttons on the bottom of the screen to give you stats on them, like what your torpedo range is.

Beta Testers
2,420 posts
1,809 battles

If you have a lock on someone, you can still shoot over an island that's blocking your view. Up until now, I thought that wherever you were aiming at, that's where your shots will land. Even the distance and time to target indicators would change as land blocked my view.

At least now I know I can shoot at targets passing behind islands with my Cleveland, thanks to its high arcs! (As long as I can either see where their waterline is, or their course doesn't change so I know roughly where to shoot)

This also explains how I've been hit while hiding very close to an island.

NOOB!! (/tease :D )

Beta Testers
460 posts
532 battles

And I get called "hacker" a lot for it.

Being called a "hacker" during battle is one of the best compliments someone can give you in this game.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,840 battles

Tomato/tomato. Is border riding abuse or smart play, at least before this patch? It's in the game, and everyone can use it.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

If you simply point and shoot without a lock its very hard to hit something at any distance.

I've never found that the case. (your guns automatically fire at the cursor, whether locked or not) What I find harder about hitting an unlocked target is adjusting the lead, because your cursor won't move with the target, like it does when it's locked.

Edited by Skpstr

[O7]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
12,327 battles

When do you try to shoot at an unmarked target?

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

TBH, it's usually when I switch to an easier target, and forget to hit X :D

For example, you're shooting a CA that has another CA a couple km behind it. The 1st CA turns away/toward you, and presents a worse target, so you make a snap decision to shoot a salvo at the 2nd CA (which is broadside) while you wait for a better shot on the 1st CA (or keep shooting the 2nd)

Sign in to follow this