You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

About the Royal Navy battleship line and their weaponry (speculation)

61 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,841 battles

Many of us are waiting for the Royal Navy to make its debut in WoWS. Other than knowing that the Queen Elizabeth class is going to sit pretty at tier 6 (if it makes it into the first release of the RN battleship tree to begin with) we know absolutely nothing for sure. Why the QE at tier 6? That's what tier Warspite is, and she's a QE.

There is ofcourse the 'What we know about ships' thread but that is - at bet - WGNA approved speculation, educated guesswork. That thread has the following fan-made tech tree idea for the RN:

wows_gb_horizontal_zpsv6kriogm.jpg

The rest of this post assumes this tech tree is correct.

This puts Iron Duke at tier 5, QE and Revenge at tier 6, KGV and Nelson at tier 7, Vanguard and Lion at tier 8 and a later Lion at tier 9. If we look at their dates that seems to be a logical progression as well.

However ...

If we look at their mounted weapons, a whole different picture emerges.

Iron Duke: 10x 13.5"/45 Mk V ... Ok, I can see that, at tier 5. She would take on the likes of Kongou and New York, with Derfflinger speculated to occupy the tier 5 slot in the Kriegsmarine tree. So far so good.

Queen Elizabeth: 8x 15"/42 Mk I rifles at tier 6, has been shown to work with Warspite.

Revenge: 8x 15"/42 Mk I, same guns as QE. No problem here.

Nelson: 9x 16" Mk I at tier 7. .... Ok, that gives it one more 16" gun than Colorado and Nagato at the same tier. I can see that. As long as that's balanced out by other factors, no problem here.

KGV: 10x 14" Mk VII. Wait, what? From 15" rifles at tier 6 back to 14" ones at tier 7? Against 16" armed battleships, and - if speculation is correct - a 15" armed Scharnhorst (11" stock, 15" upgraded as historically planned) in the Kriegsmarine tree?

Vanguard: 8x 15"/42 Mk I. Back to the 15" guns of Queen Elizabeth and Revenge fame again. These weapons are inferior to the Kriegsmarine's 15" guns from Bismarck (source: British vs German gun) and in the game the Bismarck class is already undergunned at tier 8 relative to the Amagi and North Carolina classes. What hope would Vanguard have, if WG holds true to RL penetration statistics?

Lion ('37): Same guns as Nelson.

Lion ('39): Same guns as Nelson again, but now at tier 9.

But - it gets even 'better' ...

The british 16" guns on Nelson were historically quite crap, with lousy rates of fire, reliability problems, etc. Now, I know WG can futz with those numbers as much as they want, but if they stay true to historical penetration, Nelson will fall way short of Colorado. Unfortunately penetration data on the Japanese 16" as found on Nagato is not available on navweaps.com. And WG wants to use these same guns on Lion at tier 8, vs North Carolina and Amagi?

... And again at tier 9, vs Iowa and Izumo?

If this fan-made tech tree is going to prove correct and if WG can't pull some more paper ships out of their behinds on par with North Carolina, Amagi, Iowa, Izumo, Montana and Yamato, they better buff the everliving crap out of the RN's battleship's guns, way beyond historical values. Otherwise they simply won't be able to compete.

(Note: All this speculation assumes the values found on navweaps.com are correct. However, I have little reason to doubt them)

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I wouldn't worry, they invented gun variants for WoT, so I'm sure they'll do it here when necessary.

Members
41 posts
1,257 battles

Something tells me that you're aren't using the Lion 1939 design scheme in tier 9 most likely you'll be using the 1942 design.

Also Lion class also had an improved Mk2 16in gun planned for them though still slightly less powerful that the USN 16"/45 caliber gun.

If I were to speculate I would like to think that the Lion Class is slated to be tier 9 with hull upgrades going from the 1937 to 1942 designs.

Also I prefer this speculation of the tech tree.

eRt3yUk.png

Edited by Rovert10

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,841 battles

Ah, you are correct. I concede.

At first glance these at least look on par with the other tier 8 guns.

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

The Vanguard's 15's are not inferior to the Bismarck's... They will do more Alpha Damage... also they can use super charged powder which allows for a higher Muzzle velocity...They can even use super heavy shells.... Now this ship never did, but it would have had it had the war went on and there was a ship to shoot at...

The Vanguard was a fantastic design, and a solid T8, and I honestly wish the British had not scrapped her... they certainly could have used her in the Falklands IMHO.... 

[SYN]
Members
6,099 posts
14,319 battles

What about the V-Class DDs?

...or were those Australian?  I don't remember.

Nvm.  I'm blind.

Edited by Kuckoo

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,320 battles

Interesting line up. But my memory is way fuzzy. Prince of Wales. What class did she belong to?

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

Interesting line up. But my memory is way fuzzy. Prince of Wales. What class did she belong to?

KGV

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

Aha thanks. I could see that class tier 7.

There is a big push to make them t8...but I am with you... they are a solid t7 IMHO...

Members
41 posts
1,257 battles

Aha thanks. I could see that class tier 7.

I would like to think that the KGV might be a bit much for Colorado and Nagato.
Edited by Rovert10

[TILLT]
[TILLT]
Beta Testers
1,108 posts
6,712 battles

The British navy will be a challenge to balance.  Look how big the Hood will be as compared to other ships in its tier.  It will be a huge target for TB's to practice on

[TILLT]
[TILLT]
Beta Testers
1,108 posts
6,712 battles

Why they will just make the gun dispersion pathetic and call it flavor and balance.

30,523 posts
6,320 battles

Considering KGV has only 15 inch guns(while having a lot of them) Her armor is not quite in the same ballpark.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,841 battles

Considering KGV has only 15 inch guns(while having a lot of them) Her armor is not quite in the same ballpark.

KGV has 10x 14", not 15".

30,523 posts
6,320 battles

KGV has 10x 14", not 15".

Thought prince of Wales had gone to 15s? I could be wrong. RN ships I don't know all that well.

Edit: I stand corrected. You are right Lert. 14s.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

As far as I know, WG isn't going to separate the BC and BB lines, sooo... it looks like the British BB line is most likely going to be like the IJN branch, a mashup of BC and BBs in it.

~Hunter

Alpha Tester
2,410 posts
2,897 battles

As far as I know, WG isn't going to separate the BC and BB lines, sooo... it looks like the British BB line is most likely going to be like the IJN branch, a mashup of BC and BBs in it.

~Hunter

They will.. but not anytime in the foreseeable future... they have maintained in interviews that there will be a BC line as an offshoot and possible bridge between cruisers and BBs.

30,523 posts
6,320 battles

They will.. but not anytime in the foreseeable future... they have maintained in interviews that there will be a BC line as an offshoot and possible bridge between cruisers and BBs.

If there are three nations that could pull off a separate BC/fast BB line, RN would be one, KM would be another, third would be the USN.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

KGVs 14's are not as bad as you'd think.  Check out their penetration on navweaps, it's comparable to the USN's 16"/45.  They also have a bigger bursting charge so once it penetrates, it should do excellent damage.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles

Interesting trivia re HMS Nelson  (the ship I am waiting for most.)

Even though the turrets were all forwards, they received traditional designation  being A, B,  and  X turret.

Each Gun on Nelson was individually named by the crew, those names being Happy, Grumpy, Sneezy, Dopey, Sleepy, Bashful, Doc, Mickey and Minney

She was slow :(  23.5 knots.  many times she couldn't get into the fight early enough  (although Rodney got upto 25.5 knots during the Bismark chase)  Maybe a case for a british BB to have speed boost like the destroyers?  <innocent grin>

The class was known as the Cherry Tree Class as they were designed to be much bigger but got cut down by the Washington Naval Treaty.

They were under armoured, again due to weight considerations from the treaty.

She is, to me, the most beautiful ugly warship used in WW2.  (apart from HMS Roberts which should be the Tier 2 BB in the British line :hiding:)

None of this helps with Lerts speculation, but it's just fun facts.

G

Edited by MaliceA4Thought

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,659 battles

They might be newer, and have 10 guns, but they're still a 14"/45, on par with the guns on the Fuso.  The shells they fired were arguably better than other 14"/45s, but still probably underclassed at tier 8.  The New Mexico has 14"/50s.  I think tier 7 is right for the KGV class.
Edited by Mesrith