Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SirAlex3

Destroyer Rage

44 comments in this topic

Members
66 posts
7,443 battles

When a person gets sunk, they typically are just unhappy. Well you win some you lose some. Sometimes there is amusment, sometimes there is rage, sometimes there is disbelief, quite often the person doesn't respond over chat at all.

When a battleship drivver gets smaked by destroyer shells and torped to death shortly after, a complete noob or a closed beta tester, the reaction, if any, tends to be the same.

However, when I regonize somoneone who was a World of Tanks veteran and got to tier VII in that game, 75% of the time when they get sunk by a destroyer one tier above, same tier, or below them and they are on my team they will inevitably respond with rage in either all or treamchat. "&^!$&%&^$ Destroyer OP"."How the [edited]did you get that close?" "You used an aiming mod!" etc... Happens often when said World of Tanks player gets sunk by destroyer is on the other team, although a little bit less often thne when on mine. It was quite amusing when I saw a New Mexico STANDING STILL, poking three turrets around the corner of an island got approached by a Wickles which got within 3 km of him (took time to get gutrrets to bear and missed theonly volley he fired) and torped him. Sure enough... "How the hell did this squirt manage to kill me?"

Ummm, world of tanks players who entered this game in the OBT like I did so much mroe furious at this situation? When you get sunk, you win some you lose some. the fact that a destroyer sunk you doesn't make a difference. Maybe World of Tanks vererans are just more irritable, but the CBT guys (some of which must also be WOT veterans) arn't like this.

• Cool 2

Members
66 posts
7,443 battles

Basically the whole "torpedoes are OP" rage in a nutshell:

Utygh1o.png

Well, I know the "torpedos are OP" rage happens, it's just that I noticed World of Tnk veterans that are not from the CBT like you tend to do it.... a lot more.

Speaking of which, I am honored to have a closed beta tester like you try to answer my curiocity.

Members
34 posts
1,898 battles

In my Wyoming this morning. Got caught out in the open with a Bot DD. Could not hit him to save my life and could not shake him. It stayed out of range of my secondarys and finaly put a spread into me when I ran out of room. Oh well.

Members
982 posts
366 battles

Pressing 'a' and 'd' occasionally pretty much makes you completely immune to DD's.

In all the games I've played in a BB, I've only been hit by ship-launched torpedoes 3 times: I've been counting.

I've killed more DD's in a BB than I have been hit by torpedoes fired by DD's.

• Cool 1

Members
54 posts
6,418 battles

as a DD player i love watching BB players go in a straight line , it amazes me when i launch my torps at them and sail away then look back after 10 to 15 secs and see hes still on that same course then...BOOM "you sunk a battleship"

Members
709 posts
6,496 battles

Whats really funny is when they sink your DD and still continue in a straight line and eat the torps. What did you think the DD was doing there? lol

• Cool 1

Members
258 posts
2,413 battles

Yep - I especially love the premium BBs - I can close spread torp hit them from max range because I KNOW they won't turn - ever.

And - any BB that is turning and defending - that I have to get close to - I am about 30% on killing them compared to 70% they kill me. Love the rock - scissors - paper thing going with BBs and DDs

Members
9 posts
1,488 battles

Last night I ambushed a BB from around an Island at about 3k.  I hit with 4 Torps, but didn't sink him.  He hit me with a broadside that sunk me in one shot.   (Good aim btw, normally don't get one shot, even that close.)   He complained how OP Torps were as he sailed off and I sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Also, about a week ago, I was having a rare great game in my Nicholas.  After sinking my 3rd ship, a BB that beached itself, one of my opponents said in chat that he Reported me for cheating because I launched 12 torps from one side.  Then proceed to call me a child and insult me for having to rely on a hack to sink them.  I was too busy trying to get their CV and not dying, so I am not sure who it was, but guessing BB.  I racked my brains to try and figure out wth they were talking about.    All I could think was either earlier when I sunk a ship w/ the help of some TB's, but the TB's dropped from other side.  On the BB, I did come straight at him when he was beached, and I did launch 12 torps, but by swinging side to side to launch both sides.

Some people just can not believe that they could be sunk by a DD.

Edited by Wintervoid

Beta Testers
107 posts

Pressing 'a' and 'd' occasionally pretty much makes you completely immune to DD's.

Not if you are sitting completely still, dead in the water.  :)

Alpha Tester
475 posts
1,930 battles

The best though are those once in a hell of a while magazine hits with torps that one shot ships. So many accusations of hacking or cheating. The rage and salty tears are delicious

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

The WoT "veterans" complaining about that are likely the same ones who complained about rigged games and invisitanks. The CBT WoT vets would have understood the WoT mechanics, and know why seemingly shady things happen, and in fact use that knowledge to their advantage.

There were a lot of players with over 10K games and sub-45% WRs, they're "veterans" too....

Edited by Skpstr

Members
9 posts
1,488 battles

I love this " LOL STUPID BB, JUST TURN"

just completely ignore the rudder shift time is upwards of 24 seconds, and all early/mid game BBs max out at 18-20 knots.

The 'Just Turn' Mantra is about BB's that seem to get places using Auto Pilot.  I am astounded on my IJN that I can launch from 7km out on a BB (Or sometimes CA) and actually have any hits.  Any turns or speed changes in 20+ seconds will result in a miss.  A turn as soon the Torps are visible will reduce hits to 1-2 hits max.

Last night, I was hunting a CV, and he was spotting me w/ DB's, but after he missed me he had his planes return instead of keeping me spotted for the CA and BB that were firing at me.  He was unspotted at that point.  Anyway, I eventually got out of LOS from them. but they were headed W paralleling me, as I was basically up against the border trying to stay out of sight.  I still couldn't see the CV, so I launched a spread at the CA to at least make him maneuver as I hunt for CV.  20+ seconds later....a hit...then another and another, and I end up sinking him.  While hunting a DD, he never changed course once.....while he was hunting a DD.    Since those hit I launched at the BB.   20+ seconds later.....4 hits.  Didn't sink him, but a teammate did shortly after.   Just poor play that could have been avoided.  I should have died or at least been chased off from the CV long ago.

[-K--]
Members
1,151 posts
9,208 battles

Whenever I get sunk by a DD in a BB I laugh at my stupidity and congratulate them, either to myself or in chat to them.  We are all aware of how the game mechanics work, so we need to work within those bounds.  

My favorite DD vs BB moment with rage chat was this past weekend on Hotspot when a USN DD (don't remember which) called me a female genetalia because I saw him around the corner of an island and stopped dead in my tracks in my North Carolina. I engaged (and sunk) two cruisers while I sat there, then he poked his bow out from around the island and I nuked him with my front two turrets at about 2.5km. He was mad I was "hiding", lol. Apparently I was supposed to be a good little BB and sail straight by his little hidey hole.

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 1

Members
105 posts
284 battles

just completely ignore the rudder shift time is upwards of 24 seconds, and all early/mid game BBs max out at 18-20 knots.

You BB guys make me giggle. DD players come to the forums and tell you how to avoid us all the time, but you just don't listen. If you're worrying about rudder speed then you still don't get it.

Some people just can not believe that they could be sunk by a DD.

This. There seems to be some sort of weird disconnect in the minds of BB players when it comes to destroyers.  It's like they don't think it should be possible so they behave as if it isn't, and then when they get killed they're all mad and confused.

Edited by EmptyPepsiCan
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
4,023 posts
1,090 battles

I play a BB and (even as a South Carolina) I have rarely gotten sunk by a DD once I learned how to behave around them. Here's what you do as a BB: Get away from that area as quick as possible, move to a nice open area, keep your back towards the DD or where you expect it to be and constantly alter speed and direction, if they can't predict your movements they can't hit you with torps. I mean sure, you might open yourself up to a few broadsides from a CA, but those broadsides have a higher chance of not destroying you when compared to torps (low tier anyway)

Members
972 posts
822 battles

I play a BB and (even as a South Carolina) I have rarely gotten sunk by a DD once I learned how to behave around them. Here's what you do as a BB: Get away from that area as quick as possible, move to a nice open area, keep your back towards the DD or where you expect it to be and constantly alter speed and direction, if they can't predict your movements they can't hit you with torps. I mean sure, you might open yourself up to a few broadsides from a CA, but those broadsides have a higher chance of not destroying you when compared to torps (low tier anyway)

Good to see BB players getting it (even if it means I get less kills at the end of the day) a CL is way less dangerous than a DD at low tiers and this is a smart choice 

Beta Testers
1,313 posts
12,709 battles

The only time I get mad at DD's and feel a bit of rage is deserved is when:

(1) Multiple high tier DD's are torp spamming a contested area of the map or choke point while not even attempting to get within combat range and relying on dumb luck to eventually nail a BB.

(2) IJN DDs running to the far corner of a CAP, dropping anchor, and relying on WoT invisibility that rivals an SU85B parked behind a push to pull off a win.

(3) The above multiplied by MM giving one team many more DDs than the other.

Both, IMO are fall into my 'garbage tactic' list and need to be nerfed, if not balanced because at a mimimum they are 'cheap'.

However, on the flip side DD's as a unit type have been nerfed in other respects that their captains don't have much choice but to resort to cheap tactics. Fixing DD's in other areas will actually reduce the garbage play, and this is what raging BB drivers don't get. A DD driver that stalks, ambushes and wreaks a higher tier ship from an island or other get my salute and respect, even if on the other team.

Edited by Scotty_SE

Members
709 posts
6,496 battles

Only time I get mad at a destroyer is when they sit in smoke and lob shells at me and I can't see him. I never could get the knack of that in my Dd and I get jealous. :)

Beta Testers
302 posts
2,384 battles

You will love even more the fact that torps takes like 40 seconds, a minute or more to reach the target most of the times. If in 1 minute that beloved BB did move the rudder for just 6 seconds, the torps misses miserably.

Yet, I always laugh at how BBs sail in a straight line for 2 minutes or more without hesitation and then rage like little angry kids.

Everytime I kill a BB in that way, I always try to lecture him about how to avoid it, yet, they still do the same day after day.

More food for my launchers...

[NMKJT]
Members
4,272 posts
9,133 battles

I sometimes turn away from them, but being in T3 IJN BB for now I feel kinda bad for leaving the rest of my team to basically run away from DDs forever, since too slow to engage and not enough range to deal with them without being in torpedo range. Smart DDs can control your contribution to the battle by fencing you off from the rest of your (faster, longer ranged) team till your side doesn't have any chance of winning. Usually I just go with the rest of the BBs, prioritize DDs for fire when they show up and accept taking torpedos as an occupational hazard.

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
10,933 battles

Here's my method...

1) Get a DD. 2) Grind it for awhile, and learn how to effectively torp BBs. 3) When playing your BB, don't act like the guys you torp'd did.. ;-)

I think there is value in learning tactics and strategy across all classes.  Currently, I am re-acquiring a whole line of tier 4 ships to play in ranked battles.

[LTM]
Beta Testers
163 posts
9,762 battles

The only time I get mad at DD's and feel a bit of rage is deserved is when:

(1) Multiple high tier DD's are torp spamming a contested area of the map or choke point while not even attempting to get within combat range and relying on dumb luck to eventually nail a BB.

(2) IJN DDs running to the far corner of a CAP, dropping anchor, and relying on WoT invisibility that rivals an SU85B parked behind a push to pull off a win.

(3) The above multiplied by MM giving one team many more DDs than the other.

Both, IMO are fall into my 'garbage tactic' list and need to be nerfed, if not balanced because at a mimimum they are 'cheap'.

However, on the flip side DD's as a unit type have been nerfed in other respects that their captains don't have much choice but to resort to cheap tactics. Fixing DD's in other areas will actually reduce the garbage play, and this is what raging BB drivers don't get. A DD driver that stalks, ambushes and wreaks a higher tier ship from an island or other get my salute and respect, even if on the other team.

All I can say is wow.

Multiple DD launching torps into a contested area which I presume has multiple enemy ships is a valid strategy.  It is a way to statistically increase the chances to damage the enemy while also strategically forcing him to maneuver.  When BB maneuver, they lose targeting with main batteries and may be forced to wait before being able to fire a salvo.  In addition to denying an area, it also helps to reduce overall allied ships damage while the enemy BB is forced to retarget main batteries.  Your statement is akin to saying BB focus firing on enemy ships is dumb.  Situations dictate the strategy used.

IJN DD moving to the far corner of cap is exactly what they should be doing.  What, you think they should run head on into the slow approaching BB and attempt to get within 3 KM?  As a BB player, do you turn your broadside to another BB?  The game strategy is to use "your" ships advantages to the best of your ability to help win for your team.  If your team recklessly vacates their cap in search of glory and reward, they deserve to have it capped by the IJN DD.

And triple wow if you think the team with the most DD have an overwhelming advantage.  Evidently since you most likely drive a BB, you have not taken notice that CA are damn near as fast as DD.  Give me a CA versus DD any day.  They are DD hunters and nearly impossible for any DD captain to reliably hit.  And most especially when the CA is stalking the DD.  While IJN DD are stealthy, Situational Awareness does let the CA captain know when DD are present.  When the DD launches torps, the CA captain has a bearing on the DD.  And the DD is not that much fasters.  Turning bleeds off speed, so launching torps almost always allows a CA to close when he has an anticipated bearing.

Everything you mentioned is exactly what the IJN DD should be doing when the situation presents itself.  And I will take the team with more CA over DD every time.  You can play on the DD side.

Sign in to follow this