Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Carl_the_Cuttlefish

Buffs the IJN DD line needs, tier VI-X

16 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
733 posts
4,687 battles

So I finally got to play these ships today on the test server. They aren't that good, as I heard on my high tier DDs don't look that good thread. So here are the buffs I propose:

Mutsuki: Cut the reload time by a third and give it the top torps of the Hatsuharu

Hatsuharu: Give it the Fubuki's top torps with it's current reload

Fubuki: ? This was my favorite of the whole bunch. It didn't seem too bad. 

Kagero: Oh my god do something this ship is terrible. Cut reload time by 1/2 would be my choice. This ship is likely the worst on the game, mainly because it's a tier IX and it REALLY hurts to suck that bad that high up the tech tree. Lowest DPM given its tier. 8 torps every 2 minutes just flat out sucks. 

Shimekazi: Seemed alright to me. 

Especially once you get to the Fubuki on up, the repair costs and torp/ammo costs NEED to be reduced. Partially to offset being the smallest and least dangerous ship class in the game, DDs need to be cheaper to run. 

What are your thoughts? 

Edited by Carl_the_Cuttlefish
  • Cool 4

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,505 posts
6,178 battles

Turning radius of the Bucky is awful, on-par with some light cruisers.  Her top speed is decent at best, but the acceleration is terrible (it can be amended slightly with the upgrade).  Other than her lack-luster handling characteristics, I think she's with the Shimakaze in terms of the best of the bunch. 

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,175 posts
7,623 battles

I wouldn't be opposed to making destroyers cheaper to run, but they also have pretty high damage potential with a single torpedo strike at this tier. They could end up as runaway money makers if their economy is modified too extensively.

Your proposed changes for DDs seem all right, though. Mutsuki easily has the weakest artillery set up for destroyers in the game, so having favorable torpedo features would breathe a lot of life into the ship. I enjoyed Fubuki as it was in CBT, so she doesn't really need changes. I had a lot of fun beating the crap out of USN DD's with Bucky.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,505 posts
6,178 battles

I enjoyed Fubuki as it was in CBT, so she doesn't really need changes. I had a lot of fun beating the crap out of USN DD's with Bucky.

Hatsuharu has some nice guns as well, but something about having an extra two just makes a world of difference. A good salvo can knock off huge chunks of health, and the turntime and rate of fire are decent. They're certainly not bad. 

Members
1,245 posts
5 battles

They all need their torps to have 9 seconds reaction time instead of 12 seconds just like the other nations.

• Cool 3

[HRDKX]
Members
141 posts
8,588 battles

Long lance torpedoes should have a class trait. Unspottable by aircraft. (Tier 7-10).

This would solve the majority of the growing pains with more and more planes flying around.

This isn't just a balance proposition.  Historically this has merit.  Long lance torpedoes (oxygen torps) were very hard to detect, because they didn't have that characteristic white trail that were common with every other torpedo system.

Alpha Tester
733 posts
4,687 battles

I wouldn't be opposed to making destroyers cheaper to run, but they also have pretty high damage potential with a single torpedo strike at this tier. They could end up as runaway money makers if their economy is modified too extensively.

Your proposed changes for DDs seem all right, though. Mutsuki easily has the weakest artillery set up for destroyers in the game, so having favorable torpedo features would breathe a lot of life into the ship. I enjoyed Fubuki as it was in CBT, so she doesn't really need changes. I had a lot of fun beating the crap out of USN DD's with Bucky.

Well, if you look on average, their returns are quite below other ships. Plus, even with my suggested buffs, they would still be about a half tier to a whole tier underpowered. A Baltimore or Ibuki or a Iowa would be at least comparable with a Shimekazi. So in return for being underpowered, they would be significantly cheaper than other classes, so it makes DDs an interesting challenge with less payout on average and less battle success, but a greater chance at money making. 

The Mutsuki buff would make it still a deadly torp ship despite the abysmal gun platform. It would shift more from spam dogfighting with the Minekazi to more focused, slower, higher alpha, precise shooting. Also the good AA on this ship would introduce a new challenge and would offset the not quite improvement in torps from the Minekazi

The Hatsuharu buff would make it allow it to be a long range strike craft at a tier where no other DDs would have a range like that, and to offset that it has low damage potential, and meh guns. It would be the deciding factor whether someone wants to continue down the IJN DD line as that is more in line with the strategy of the future DDs. 

Fubuki can handle the manuverability loss due to the ability to hang further back with 15km range and a pretty decent guns. 

The Kagero buff, the most significant one, would allow players to practice sniping with 20km range torps without the fear that a launch taking forever to reload and therefore making them hesitant to take potshots. It would be a pretty decent DPM ship with the reload halved, but the rest of the ship is meh. 

The Shimekazi would have similar damage to the Kagero, but would have a much higher alpha and spread making it the most technical and capstone of the line. I would maybe buff it from .4 RPM to .5

[SYN]
Members
15,994 posts
12,803 battles

It would be nice if the dual purpose guns would actually shoot at aircraft.

Members
972 posts
822 battles
Both DD lines need buffs between tiers 6-10 need buffs. Even the Gearing, which is argued to be the top DD atm, still suffers compared to even tier 8 ships in the other lines

Alpha Tester
4,300 posts
7,509 battles

I'd say that at higher tiers, torpedoes should have less reaction time. At those tiers, ships are more maneuverable, faster, and more aware of the threat posed by torpedoes. So the should be given less of an opportunity to respond to them.

Alpha Tester
733 posts
4,687 battles

Long lance torpedoes should have a class trait. Unspottable by aircraft. (Tier 7-10).

This would solve the majority of the growing pains with more and more planes flying around.

This isn't just a balance proposition.  Historically this has merit.  Long lance torpedoes (oxygen torps) were very hard to detect, because they didn't have that characteristic white trail that were common with every other torpedo system.

I like this! And the 15km ones should have it as well. That way IJN DDs could have the unique place of being the long ranged high alpha strike positioning DD.

I haven't played US DDs yet so I don't know what they need done to them. 

Edited by Carl_the_Cuttlefish

Members
707 posts
5,117 battles

I'd say that at higher tiers, torpedoes should have less reaction time. At those tiers, ships are more maneuverable, faster, and more aware of the threat posed by torpedoes. So the should be given less of an opportunity to respond to them.

Higher tier players also tend to WASD more often anyway.

I like this! And the 15km ones should have it as well. That way IJN DDs could have the unique place of being the long ranged high alpha strike positioning DD.

I haven't played US DDs yet so I don't know what they need done to them. 

Yeah but then BB drivers will cry rivers of tears. Their collective whining already got the Minekaze nerfed and BB rudder times buffed because how dare they make battleships turn for those dinky destroyers. 

Beta Testers
46 posts
179 battles

1436030523797_zps092rhuko.png

Personally I'd do two things for right now.

1. Reduce torpedo spotting by a bit. IJN torps have a larger reaction time compared to the USN torps, see above.
  2. Make it so torpedoes become unspotted when no one is spotting them anymore. I love it when you launch torpedoes and a plane you never seen shows up, flys over and spots them, then keeps going on its merry way. All the while your torps remain lit up for the rest of its run.
  • Cool 2

Alpha Tester
733 posts
4,687 battles

Agree with the above! ^^ Also, I think they could flop the Fubuki and Kagero. Give the Fubuki the long lances and keep the rest as is and give the Kagero the Fubuki 15km torps and buff the reload and it would be a suitable tier VIII. 

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
577 posts
3,843 battles

Agree with the above! ^^ Also, I think they could flop the Fubuki and Kagero. Give the Fubuki the long lances and keep the rest as is and give the Kagero the Fubuki 15km torps and buff the reload and it would be a suitable tier VIII. 

The chronological order bugs me as is.  Are you trying to make my head explode?

Members
1,383 posts
2,282 battles

Torp range is overrated, you dont need anything more than 10 kms, even 8 kms will do.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3 posts
1,771 battles

Suggest IJN DD doesn't need buff for the torp

WG needs buff rate of fire 6.7 round per min to 10round per min among tier 7 to 10

Sign in to follow this