Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
1starchlyte

Why isn't this game called "World of Torpedoes?"

52 comments in this topic

[BLOAT]
Members
53 posts
4,367 battles

I was pretty excited to play the game, but now that I have played for a while I have to say that the Torpedo being the Alpha weapon of the game pretty much sucks. Torpedoes are the source of death 9/10 times in the game. Can you one-shot with guns? yes, but it's far more likely that you will be hit by torps, and given the absurd close effective ranges of guns its a pretty bad idea to run without torpedoes. Why are the planes in the game even necessary to deliver torpedoes when the small ships can fire them at near gun max range with impunity? 

Way slower reload times for tubes, and better ranges for guns even at the lower tiers would help. 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
4,023 posts
1,090 battles

Play a Destroyer then if it's so easy. Come back after several matches and let us know how you did. Also, you can dodge torpedoes btw...

• Cool 1

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

Well just a face value, and because I'm going to ignore your post which clearly points out that you don't play DDs and just makes you look stupid. Not saying you are stupid, but your making your self look like it.

To answer your question......Because we play in Ships and not Torpedoes.

Edited by Night60700

Beta Testers
1,156 posts

OK, quick lesson in Torpedoes 101...

Those torpedoes were launched AT LEAST a good 20, maybe 30 seconds ago.

They were launched so that they would hit you...  Where you would be 20-30 seconds from the time of launch, assuming you continued on the same course and speed.

IF YOU HAD DONE LITERALLY ANYTHING IN THE TIME BETWEEN LAUNCH AND IMPACT...  TURNED, SPED UP, SLOWED DOWN, LITERALLY ANYTHING AT ALL...  THOSE TORPEDOES WOULD HAVE MISSED!!!!!

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
130 posts
7,471 battles

There's a few DD captains out there that can attest to me dodging their torps in my BB and then one-shotting them with a broadside.

And I play some ships without torps, have no problem getting kills. :)

[BLOAT]
Members
53 posts
4,367 battles

Giving my impression after a few days of playing, and I imagine others will share my experience. I don't care if you feel like I look "stupid" on a forum as I'm not trying to be your friend or congressman. Call me names all you want, I wasn't talking about me I'm talking about torpedoes. 

Dodged a lot of torpedoes, played DD and enjoyed easily killing with torpedoes, played BB and watched helplessly as torps dropped in two salvos opposite sides of ship from a group of TB that swarmed like gnats or UFOs above me. Literally did several things many times include be affected by damage, respond to other attacks, etc. Thank you for your advice on what to do in a vacuum when attacked by torpedoes.

There was a decision to make torpedoes the prominent weapon in the game instead of guns, and I think it will hurt the game because it's not as good a focus as guns would have been. In addition longer swim times might help as well as realistic flight behavior for planes. 

Edited by 1starchlyte
  • Cool 1

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

Dodged a lot of torpedoes, played DD and enjoyed easily killing with torpedoes

You've destroyed 1 guy with torpedoes.  Come back with more experience please.

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

IF YOU HAD DONE LITERALLY ANYTHING IN THE TIME BETWEEN LAUNCH AND IMPACT...  TURNED, SPED UP, SLOWED DOWN, LITERALLY ANYTHING AT ALL...  THOSE TORPEDOES WOULD HAVE MISSED!!!!!

But...But....But I should never have to turn my ship for anything besides, friendly ships, enemy ships, islands, the map edge, to align my turrets, to avoid friendly shells, to avoid friendly torpedoes, and to avoid enemy shells. Besides those reasons, I should never have to turn my ship. Therefore Destroyers need a Nurf.

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

You've destroyed 1 guy with torpedoes.  Come back with more experience please.

Hey, one cheap kill is all the proof he needs to say DDs are OP.

Beta Testers
958 posts
2,291 battles

hqdefault_zpsggt7th41.jpg

I don't think you understand. How after many months of torpedo threads. I have been waiting for this reference.

On-topic, low tier play may seem futile against torpedoes but there are ways of going about to avoid being sunk or even hit by them. I recommend searching around for guides and the like. Once you get to high tier play, you'll find ship based torpedoes basically non-existent and there won't be many worries. Happy sailing!

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,475 battles

Its rare that i ever get torped but those damm guns man every other ship out there sseems to have them i only have a survival rate of 18% thats rite i mostly drive dd

[BLOAT]
Members
53 posts
4,367 battles

Torpedoes are often the main amount of damage that gets topped off by guns. I noticed how easy it is to kill with very little experience using torps, so what, is it going to get radically harder over time? I am again posting as someone who is new to the game and it's easier to kill with torpedoes as you get one good salvo off versus a lot of time shooting with guns. It doesn't take an expert to watch how much greater damage and ease of hits torps are. Much of my observations were watching other ships too as I'm not doing one on one matches but participating in a battle. 

[BLOAT]
Members
53 posts
4,367 battles

You've destroyed 1 guy with torpedoes.  Come back with more experience 

Edited by 1starchlyte

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

Its rare that i ever get torped but those damm guns man every other ship out there sseems to have them i only have a survival rate of 18% thats rite i mostly drive dd

Well clearly Guns are OP and need to be removed.

[BLOAT]
Members
53 posts
4,367 battles

Hey, one cheap kill is all the proof he needs to say DDs are OP.

Sell me on the idea that the game as I have perceived it is an illusion. I must have been imagining all of those deaths in game I witnessed whereas you have played a long time and have keener senses and memory. 

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

Come back once you lose your gross anime fetish. In the states we have laws against pedophilia. 

WE Have Laws Here on these Forums Against calling Someone a P..e..d..o..phile.

Edited by Night60700
  • Cool 3

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

Sell me on the idea that the game as I have perceived it is an illusion. I must have been imagining all of those deaths in game I witnessed whereas you have played a long time and have keener senses and memory. 

No....I refuse.

Beta Testers
2,420 posts
1,809 battles

Torpedoes are often the main amount of damage that gets topped off by guns. I noticed how easy it is to kill with very little experience using torps, so what, is it going to get radically harder over time? I am again posting as someone who is new to the game and it's easier to kill with torpedoes as you get one good salvo off versus a lot of time shooting with guns. It doesn't take an expert to watch how much greater damage and ease of hits torps are. Much of my observations were watching other ships too as I'm not doing one on one matches but participating in a battle.

Torpedoes can only hit targets who are travelling in straight lines. They will miss 90% of targets who are turning.

(If my silly gifs upset you, I apologize. We see this complaint from new players all the time. With practice, you can render ship launched torpedoes almost useless.)

[BLOAT]
Members
53 posts
4,367 battles

Good for you Night60700 I guess it's ok to flame people because they are new to game but not in other ways. Insults are insults and have nothing to do with the topic. I was saying that to someone who is new to the game I can't believe the emphasis on torpedoes over guns. 

Edited by 1starchlyte

Sign in to follow this