Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
motaz87

minekaze upgrades

15 comments in this topic

[NET]
Beta Testers
469 posts
4,111 battles

are the upgrades worth the exp for this dd? i only upgraded the hull for the hit points, and turning, but the guns,and fire control upgrades seem a waste as the guns kinda stink anyways. the interesting upgrade question is the second set of torps, they travel farther, but 11 knots slower, same damage. this dd is super stealthy, and i have little problems getting in close, and the speed of the fisrt torps make it harder to evade them. do you guys agree or am i doing it wrong???

Members
77 posts
576 battles

I upgraded everything, but I only fire about 2 gun salvos per battle, so that was probably wasted silver.

The torps are a matter of personal taste.  It's pretty nice to have that 3km+ zone where you're undetectable but your torps can hit, but as you said, they're slower. Adding to the reduced speed, the extra distance/time to impact means more chances for your target to change course/speed enough for a complete miss. I'm not even talking a dodge, just that your target turns/slows/whatever and isn't anywhere near the torps when they reach the targeted area.

Writing the above has made me realize that I need to put the 7km torps back on my Minekaze. I've been missing way more than hitting with my torps lately, may be worth trying the quicker, shorter range ones again.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
2,033 posts
9,273 battles

I researched the long range torps for my Minekaze, but I won't equip them.  I prefer the greater speed of the stock 7km range ones.

[NET]
Beta Testers
469 posts
4,111 battles

ya i kinda figured that. the short range torps are still longer reaching then the tier 5 nicolas(which i also have and love) i equip cammo, shut off the AA, and hit the engine overboost....never have problems sinking enemy vessels.

[NET]
Beta Testers
469 posts
4,111 battles

true there is no "right" one size fits all answer, all preference, and play style. i play my dds very aggressive, and so far it works....dont think it'll stay that way after tier 6 though as the capital ships wont be sunk with one spread like i do now, then the longer range torps look like a better choice.

Members
77 posts
576 battles

Coming back to this from yesterday.  Last night I switched my torps back to the faster 7km variant, and suddenly I was landing some hits with them again!  I was lured in by the promise of endless ninja torp strikes, but the torps were too slow and gave the targeted ships too much time to maneuver clear when I was firing from 9 km+.

Speed kills, apparently. :rolleyes:

Members
56 posts
2,408 battles

You are right about the guns and fire control being useless on the Minekaze atm, but that may change after 4.1 (the minekaze's guns are being buffed while it's godly ninja torp ability is being nerfed).

However the torpedo "upgrade" is more of a preference. The 7km torp does have a higher chance to get hits due to its speed, but it also puts you into a more dangerous position to being detected. Luckily the cruisers at that tier aren't exactly attentive so you will be able to get away unscathed (unlike higher tiers -.-). I think the 10km torp option is being taken away with 4.1.

Beta Testers
1,883 posts
10,762 battles

Don't bother with the 10KM torp upgrade. It's gone in 0.4.1:

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/announcement-public-test-041/

Still, we had to do some fine-tuning. Minekaze, a too effective, elusive, and dangerous Japanese destroyer, will lose her top torpedoes and three kilometers of range with them.The traversing angles of her torpedo tubes were reduced a little, while the detection distance was increased by almost one kilometer. It's cool to be a ninja, but it's time to draw a line. Mutsuki's concealment was modified in the same way. Our research showed that the Japanese national bonus to the chance of causing fire with high-explosive shells needed to be balanced, that's why it was reduced depending on gun caliber. Cruiser Mogami, the terror of Tier VIII, will have to be more careful now, as the reserve durability of her primary armament turrets was decreased, while the previous Japanese cruiser Myoko will have a lower rate of fire. As for the U.S. Fleet, the test results showed that the rate of fire and the primary armament turrets’ rotation speed of battleship Wyoming needed to be reduced a little.

I don't use the 10KM one anyway. But torp will be detected 1 whole KM farther out and that will pretty much render this ship useless.

So. All the BB driver whines did eventually work and the nerf is in.

Edit: It's actually worse. It's the ship's detection range that's extended out. So we now need to fire torps within a few hundred meters to stay concealed. It's basically a USN destroyer with really lousy guns.

Edited by chewonit

Beta Testers
2,709 posts
3,444 battles

The nerfed detection range is now 6.2 km. You have 800 meters to play with which is still decent pretty good in my experience. 

Beta Testers
298 posts

The torp selection for the Minekaze has been heavily discussed in the forums.   With the coming changes this is probably moot.   I've kept the Minekaze and use the 10 k torps.   They're good practice for the rest of the IJN DD line.   I use the Torpedo Tubes Mod 2 upgrade to improve the slew (aim) time for the torpedoes.  Important if you get into a close quarters fight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3d2469/torpedo_reaction_times/

torpedo data

Have to wait and see whether it will still be a keeper after the next release.  

Beta Testers
183 posts
6,693 battles

Great chart PepperMill, good info.  I think I will have 1 spare slot after the nerf. will wait and see.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
53 posts
5,743 battles

I think it's because plane torpedoes have a much shorter range and each one hurts about half as much as an equivalent tier ship launched torpedo. It's not like you get a whole lot of warning anyway if they really want to hit you.

[HRDKX]
Members
141 posts
5,166 battles

The difference being that any change in direction/speed will foil a dd torp run while planes can be cancelled at the last second, fly over and drop in the direction you are turning. And good cvs will drop torp lines that cross making it impossible to avoid, even for dd.

Edited by Gunzbngbng

Sign in to follow this