Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Billy_Barue

New Mexico 1050 damage with HE and AP shooting a jeep

2 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
828 battles

I have a question about damage. I have played my New Mexico several times. I see the number 1050 all the time. Something I don't see on the New York or even the Wyoming. I let out a full volley and I see 1050. I have switched between HE and AP and I see this low number all the time. I have people scream about how I suck.  It is below the normal damage for the gun.

Am I alone or has anyone else seen this. I pretty much have no issues in any ship but this one. My best battle in the New Mexico I have like 80K and that's crap. I have 100K in the St Louis.

Beta Testers
124 posts
339 battles

I have a question about damage. I have played my New Mexico several times. I see the number 1050 all the time. Something I don't see on the New York or even the Wyoming. I let out a full volley and I see 1050. I have switched between HE and AP and I see this low number all the time. I have people scream about how I suck.  It is below the normal damage for the gun.

Am I alone or has anyone else seen this. I pretty much have no issues in any ship but this one. My best battle in the New Mexico I have like 80K and that's crap. I have 100K in the St Louis.

Are you mainly going after lighter ships like light cruisers or destroyers? No matter what i do to them with HE or AP it always is low

Members
2 posts
453 battles

You are overpenning. First off, never use HE in a battleship unless its vs a destroyer or possibly a carrier(if the deck is on fire it can't launch planes). Use AP for other BBs and cruisers. Aim low with AP, near the waterline. You'll do around your stated AP shell damage if you land a good penetrating hit into the ship, typically this means hitting roughly center mass between the front of the first turret and the rear of the turret at the other end. This is known as the "citadel" area more or less where BBs are supposed to do maximum damage.

Now to explain overpenning, it means you are hitting an area of the ship that is not vital to its combat operation, your shell is penetrating, and going right out through the other side without doing significant damage.

If you see a lower damage number than 1050(say 800 something or whatever) it could also be that you are hitting a really heavily armored part of the ship and your shell is penetrating but fragmenting inside and doing only minor damage. This typically happens sometimes vs higher tier BBs than you or when you are hitting their strong hull armor at an angle.

But yeah seriously you should almost never use HE in a BB unless its vs a carrier or a destroyer, as AP will go straight through a destroyer and do that 1050 damage you've seen 99% of the time, whereas HE will penetrate thin destroyer armor AND break everything on their ship AND set fires.

Sign in to follow this