Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PcolaTy_1

Just got my New Mexico, tips needed.

10 comments in this topic

[TSG4]
Members
807 posts
2,500 battles

Hey guys, I just unlocked an bought by New Mexico Class BB, and am in need of tips on how to play her, and I also have some questions.

1) What type of modifications should I get, I know that I will need damage control mod 1.

2) What is her optimum firing range.

3) Should I go for the hull upgrades first?

Alpha Tester
383 posts
1,683 battles

Why not play it, and upgrade what you feel it needs to fit your playstyle?

There is no right or wrong way to play ANY ship, just your way...

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,104 posts
6,455 battles

Why not play it, and upgrade what you feel it needs to fit your playstyle?

There is no right or wrong way to play ANY ship, just your way...

Because cliches aside, modifications are expensive and cost gold to demount, so experimentation isn't cheap.  No harm in asking questions.

Hey guys, I just unlocked an bought by New Mexico Class BB, and am in need of tips on how to play her, and I also have some questions.

1) What type of modifications should I get, I know that I will need damage control mod 1.

2) What is her optimum firing range.

3) Should I go for the hull upgrades first?

1.  Main battery mod, AA range mod, Damage control were my preferences for the New Mexico.

2.  Any range, honestly.  If it's in range of your guns, you've got 12 of them to send shells downrange, so always be firing if you've got a shot.  I preferred to close to within 10-12km (if you can say "close" with a ship that goes 21knots max), but also had some devastating hits at max range.

3.  Hull for the AA and hitpoints in my opinion.  You could make an argument for fire control and engine (21 knots sucks, but 18 is just painful), but it's going to be a slower, shorter-range BB than the Japanese even with upgrades, so I opted to max out the hulls first.  Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Mesrith
  • Cool 2

[TSG4]
Members
807 posts
2,500 battles

Okay, so I have decided to spend some of my credits to get the modifications for, though I am unsure what I should get for b and d.

a) Main battery mod 1

b) Unassigned (offensive weaponry mod 2)

c) Damage control mod 1

d) Unassigned (ship sailing characteristics)

[DO-IT]
Beta Testers
150 posts
8,274 battles

With regards to B and D that's dependent on experience with your ship and captain skills. 

For the second module slot (B), I have the range extending mod and from my experience the New Mexico can land those 17km shots without much difficulty. Though landing those full range full salvo shots takes a good deal of estimation. Having the alternative battle mode which shows the time of shell travel can help you mentally calculate your lead for upcoming shots.  

Playing in Co-Op can help you gain an understanding for how the guns handle. I do this with all of my battleships to grind the first hull upgrade for each respective ship. The slower xp gain allows me more time to really gain a feel for how the guns will perform in pvp battles.  The other potential upgrade is the aa boosting module which I may switch to only after I get the captain skill which applies a +20% aa range. That with the module gives a +40% boost, but If your experience with the final upgraded hull doesn't leave you desiring for more aa range keep the main battery range extension. 

Now for the fourth module slot (D), the two you should be considering is the damage control modification 2 for decreased repair of fires and flooding or the rudder shift mod.  With the captain skill and DCM2, each fire you take will go from 60 seconds of burn time to 42 seconds. Even lower if you have the flag which reduces burn time another 20%. If you feel you don't need better rudder shift times with the final hull, go with this option as it can really add up with how much fire damage is prevented through letting singles fires burn and only using the damage party for 2+ fires. The potential downside to this reduction of fire damage is that in order to acquire those flags you need to earn the "Fireproof" achievement which requires you to take at least 40% of total hull health worth of fire damage. 

The rudder shift modification can turn the New Mexico into a very maneuverable vessel, which will definitely pay for itself with the ability to minimize torpedo and enemy battleship damage.  In close range you will have the ability to dodge torps provided you are aware yourself of the incoming torpedo bombers or enemy destroyers through the use of the minimap and main screen.  

Regarding enemy battleship damage, at far ranges you can see when a battleship fires, if you keep a mental clock of when they have fired and use a relative reload time of 30 seconds you can turn your vessel to avoid the incoming shells.  Doing that then returning to your prior heading and firing will allow you to dish out damage while reducing potential damage to your vessel. Essentially your ship pattern will look like (~~~~~), with the bow of the ship turning away from where the shots will land. I've done these maneuvers in my battleships to great effect. This can also be applied to enemy Clevelands since their shell travel time is quite long due to the high arc of the shells. 

Hopefully these insights can assist you in your decisions for those slots along with any other forum members who have the same dilema. 

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1 post
812 battles

I've only had the credits to spare to fit offensive upgrades, but thus far mine have been the main battery upgrade for the first slot and the range increase for the second. I'm considering swapping out the second for the 2nd main battery upgrade when I have the cash , but so far I've enjoyed being similar to a Japanese battleship in range with 12 guns. If your aim is good the sheer number of shells means RNG doesn't screw you over quite so hard.

I just skipped the 2nd hull upgrade. Researched it, but didn't bother buying it. Wasting bear a million credits for a hull that I won;t be grinding out most of the Colorado on didn't seem like a good use of money.

[-K-]
Members
1,117 posts
7,642 battles

For slots B and D I went with main battery range increase and rudder shift increase. The rudder shift increase really helps dodge long range salvos and torps. I find I really need 17+ km range on my BBs so the range mod was crucial. The top hull also adds a spotting plane to the mix, letting you reach out beyond 20km. I one salvoed and Omaha yesterday at 20km so it can be fairly useful.

I actually chose to leave slot A empty to save some silver. I don't find I get things knocked out very often. I also left slot C empty for now, as I've never had my steering or props knocked out when I didn't have a repair available, and I not sure how much I buy into the small reduction of fires and flooding for the damage control upgrade in slot C...such small % improvements.

Loving the ship fully upgraded.

Members
65 posts
1,871 battles

I'm not going to say that the +16% range is a must, but you will probably be glad you purchased it once you come up against T8-9 on more open maps like Ice and North...

[-Z-]
Members
6 posts
1,469 battles

Up your range as best as possible and stay with supporting CAs. You have 12 rounds going down range potentially, you are definitely in a position to detonate anything you meet. This ship, as I feel it thus far, is more accurate than the New York, and more often than not you'll get kills thanks to citadels with AP more than anything else. You need to focus on CAs and other BBs. Be sure you are going for citadels and don't sail in a straight line. Ever. 

Great ship. 

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,385 battles

Range mod, and rudder shift mod is what I have on mine.  I try to get to 12-10km range, this is where I most often get crippling/one shot salvos.

Sign in to follow this