prehistoric

[TUTORIAL] How to create your own skins

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

31 posts in this topic

It's not easy if you do not have experience working with pixels and layers.

But I will try to make it really simple to help anyone get right into it.

We will start by choosing a ship.

The USS Sampson (DD-63) is the ship of choice for this example.

First step on our journey is locating the texture files used to paint the Sampson in game.

We will open the World_Of_Warships folder and continue deep into the directories.

Make your way to the TEXTURES folder.

..\World_of_Warships\res\content\gameplay\usa\ship\destroyer\textures\

Location of the default textures successful.

Notice there are 5 files with the Sampson name.

ASD002_Sampson_1917.mfm

ASD002_Sampson_1917_a.dds

ASD002_Sampson_1917_ao.dds

ASD002_Sampson_1917_mg.dds

ASD002_Sampson_1917_n.dds

We will be skipping some really advanced stuff which will exclude 4 of the files.

All that is needed is in the _a.dds file.

Make a copy of the ASD002_Sampson_1917_a.dds to your desktop.

Install and run DDS Converter.

ddsconverter.png

Convert the DDS file to a BMP.

Install and run GNU Image Manipulation Program.

Open the BMP with the GIMP.

gimp.png

We could get into more advanced graphic techniques and separate the ship components into layers.

But let's keep it simple as intended.

We are going to add a basic decal to the hull.

For this I found a HD transparent PNG image of a bumblebee.

Save Bob the bee to your desktop.

Drag and drop the bumblebee image into the GIMP Layers window and move it to the top.

With that same "bee" layer still highlighted.

Select on the main menu the following:

Layer -> Scale Layer...

Change it to 50% and scale.

Lets move Bob closer to the front of the ship.

On the Toolbox window select the Move Tool (4 arrows point out icon).

Grab the bee and move him into place.

We could blend him in using the Mode options for the layer (look for Mode: Normal drop down menu on the Layers window).

But we will keep it simple and continue.

Right click on the Layers window and select Flatten Image at the bottom.

Go to File on the main menu and select overwrite ASD002_Sampson_1917_a.bmp.

Install and opeEasy2Convert BMP to DDS.

Convert the BMP back into the DDS.

bmp2dds.png

Add the new DDS to your res_mods folder in the correct place and tada!

bee_on_ship.png

If you get a black ship then you need to open a FRESH bmp from the original DDS with GIMP.

Copy the flattened skin you created and paste as new layer over the FRESH bmp.

Flatten Image and OVERWRITE.

The format settings and variables are kept in check so the game doesn't get confused reading it.

If you have a word or image that is upside down or backwards you will have to reverse the effect in GIMP by Layer -> Transform options.

If you have any other problems reply.

Edited by prehistoric

Something skinners seem to omit is that _a is hull 1. If you UPGRADED the hull to hull B, it is now _ao. Hull C is also another file entirely, haven't had the interest in digging that far. Also, not all ships are what they SAY they are. There is no Wyoming in the Battleship files, it's ACTUALLY the Arkansas 1942 (as opposed to the 1912 which is Ark Beta). One more thing -BACK EVERYTHING UP. These files are saved OVER the res parts. If you make a change you don't like, and you save and close your editor, it is DONE. You'll need a backup file, or a full reinstall to fix it.

Something to remember is that there is SO much more to skin with ships. 2-3 Hulls, main guns, AA, Torp tubes, planes. This isn't any ol skin fest......bring in Hannibal to decipher it.

Edited by NitroLauncher717

Am I missing something, or is it impossible at current to set them up in the Res_Mods section instead of overwriting the original skins?

It's possible to set them up in the res_mods section. Safest option is to copy the files outside the game folder, then when the edits are done, move them into the res_mods folder. That way, we don't need to save over the game files in the res folder. 

I do not work,flattenand I still haveblackship.

Black means there is no visual to render from on the MODEL file. Did you convert it back to a .DDS? Did you place it in the appropriate folder? Does it have the correct name? There's a handful of things it COULD be.

I do not work,flattenand I still haveblackship.

If you don't follow my instructions to the letter then it's your fault.

From my experience applying camos onto game assets (here is a WarThunder example: http://i.imgur.com/4ynMQet.jpg ) I'm seeing a lot of similarities in how I could apply a camo to WoWS skins.

I have a tutorial/guide comparing two different ways I generate a camo, one example uses GIMP.

http://img00.deviantart.net/d485/i/2014/335/7/6/camouflage_comparison_guide_by_chizek-d88cgc1.png

Generating the camo is only a fraction of the work needed to make a decent skin, which I still do not have a good enough process to write up a guide on.

One of the limits is that the fine details on ships is pasted over if you just drop the whole camo layer over the ship skin.  I can cut out parts of the camo to make things fit nicer; however, that can take a LOT of time to do.  So, I usually just focus on the noticeable parts and leave the tiny details covered since 99% of the time I am looking from a distance. =\

Anyway, when I get some time I'll give it a shot and try painting up a ship to see if it works well.

What kind of advice can you guys give for applying textures to the base skin when we don't have all the layers the developers use?

EDIT:

Here's a quick test:

oPZ0T6W.jpg

Pretty pixelated when I use the Open Canvas camo generation, this is just the hull with camo, not the turrets or other bits.

Edited by PerfectDeath

If you don't follow my instructions to the letter then it's your fault.

TX :)

Problem solved,nottores_modsthrewthis folder.One more question.Where and how tofindfiles to theartillery?I meanhow do I knowhowis describedartilleryfrom a particularship.For example,how to findartillerytoMyoko?

About the guns...

It seems that most ships "share" the gun texture files.  Much like the camo is shared between ships.

The script that calls for the texture files for a specific ship's guns are can be modified or rather re-directed to a custom texture file.

The issue is the modder has to go out of the way much further then just editing a single texture file for the haul.

I always skip the guns because of that.

Well.. If you want to skin and see the results with out even having to load the game.. I recommend you down load my Model Editor.. 
You can get it here
You can load just about anything in WoTs or WoWs but the nice thing is it can export the UV map as a clear PNG (UVs only) or the DDS with UVS as a png or bitmap. Exporting DDS directly is not supported yet.
You can use this image as a layer in gimp or paint.NET or what ever app you use.
Double clicking on one of the images in the list will open up the texture viewer. From here you can do some cool things.. like disable color channels.. export a bmp or png.. zoom.. drag the image around.

You can center mouse click on the model to select a polygon in the mesh and if the texture viewer is open, it will show you how the UVs are mapped to this poly. 
Read the help file.. it will explain how to navigate and a whole lot more.

Titanicish_zpstcn906ko.jpg

Edited by Coffee_

Well.. If you want to skin and see the results with out even having to load the game.. I recommend you down load my Model Editor.. 

You can get it here

You can load just about anything in WoTs or WoWs but the nice thing is it can export the UV map as a clear PNG (UVs only) or the DDS with UVS as a png or bitmap. Exporting DDS directly is not supported yet.

You can use this image as a layer in gimp or paint.NET or what ever app you use.

Double clicking on one of the images in the list will open up the texture viewer. From here you can do some cool things.. like disable color channels.. export a bmp or png.. zoom.. drag the image around.

You can center mouse click on the model to select a polygon in the mesh and if the texture viewer is open, it will show you how the UVs are mapped to this poly. 

Read the help file.. it will explain how to navigate and a whole lot more.

Titanicish_zpstcn906ko.jpg

Amazing tool, thanks

Install and opeEasy2Convert BMP to DDS.

Convert the BMP back into the DDS.

hmm... i have that application but it convert my BMP files in low resolution even i'm already setting the quality at high (100)... do u can solve this problem ?

howdy, i develope models and textures for MS flight Simulator and so i dug in here a little .

for handling textures , i use DxtBmp by martin wright - its freeware available here >   http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

it will port the the DDS files to the editor of your choosing and then refresh your edit when you save and close the editor you chose.

it will save the dds back as a dds without any need to flatten convert or any of those intermediary steps

also - the ships textures are in DDS DXT1 format so there is no alpha channel to worry about...

the file types for texture based on a quick look are the same as those used for flight simulator

they are : a.dds=diffuse or the straight skin map;

ao.dds=self illumination map- good for bright and shadowy details ;

n.dds=bump map- this adds rivets panel seems and the like without having to build geometry in the actual model

mg.dds=specular- determines the shininess and color of reflected environment light

finally these maps are 4096 square , a rather large and very detailed skin - one approach may be to send the images to your editor , save them as a seperate .bmp ,

then open with photoshop deluxe which makes a base skin far easier to turn into many liveries, using layers and overlays if you have those skills

hope some of this helps - happy torppin'

o_fingers_o

Edited by o_fingers_o

well the sucky thing about this is that no one else is able to see your mod, but yourself.... or maybe i did something wrong, idk 

The file path seems to have changed does anyone have any idea what they are now? I found some pkg files like the ones in WoT but they can't seem to be opened for some reason

The file path seems to have changed does anyone have any idea what they are now? I found some pkg files like the ones in WoT but they can't seem to be opened for some reason

Yeah I just reinstalled and the content folder is gone, before there wasn't anything in it. Edited by flufflyfatcat

Wows switched to "pkg" files to save space.. they offer now a software to "unpack" these files into a "res_unpack" folder, so that we can use them as before, while saving space for average users.  It was a slight pain finding the offered software, I believe major renegade re-posted the unpacker program, look about and you should find it